S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad works at edelbrock and he could get the cam from edelbrock just like the one they sell in lmc truck or should i go with comp cam 270ahr
its a 91 with the edelbrock manifold and time chain?? help me soon please almost ready to buy just need opinions before i do

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but its from comp cams right i just wwanted to see what other felt about edelbrocks cam i look on comp cams web site n it siad for 92 n present so i dont think it would work for my 91??

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
i have the edelbrock cam, and i think it helps make some good power. i have a 92 tbi. but the only way you are going to make good hp, is to get better heads. the lb4 heads are the limiting factor for you truck. you are going to need a tune to make the most out of it though. good luck.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The 270 is fine and also available at PAW under their SSI brand for a much more reasonable price. (I think)

Look to buy a different chip with it. Of course; didnt I hear about Edelbrock having the chip just right for theirs?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well after talking with my dad (who works for edelbrock) he said that they buy there cams from comp cams so there really about the same

·
Registered
128 Posts
dude, your not starting with a small block chevy. these are socially put down little monsters. there are things you can do to give them a little kick in the ass to make them more fun to drive. the edelbrock cam is good, you can feel it, especially in upper rpm. and maybe your dad could have somebody at work get you one of the old chips they gave out and just have them put a little more timing in it. also a tbi spacer is a good add with the manifold. don't get a swirl one(crap). i have powerdyne one works good. also edel. has an exhaust that would help out. the old 4.3's are not the best, but i have been tuning mine now for 5 months to figure out where the hp is and i have found more than the tuner will. tuning is best done from the seat of pants, and alot of data logging. the only way to find out is try it, thats what i did. and are having a good time with it. ask the old man what else he might be able to help get! can't hurt. don't forget the edelbrock springs, and a set of comp mag roller tip rockers, if they have them for your engine. also helps with a little more lift and springs with no valve float.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dude, your not starting with a small block chevy. these are socially put down little monsters. there are things you can do to give them a little kick in the ass to make them more fun to drive. the edelbrock cam is good, you can feel it, especially in upper rpm. and maybe your dad could have somebody at work get you one of the old chips they gave out and just have them put a little more timing in it. also a tbi spacer is a good add with the manifold. don't get a swirl one(crap). i have powerdyne one works good. also edel. has an exhaust that would help out. the old 4.3's are not the best, but i have been tuning mine now for 5 months to figure out where the hp is and i have found more than the tuner will. tuning is best done from the seat of pants, and alot of data logging. the only way to find out is try it, thats what i did. and are having a good time with it. ask the old man what else he might be able to help get! can't hurt. don't forget the edelbrock springs, and a set of comp mag roller tip rockers, if they have them for your engine. also helps with a little more lift and springs with no valve float.
what i have is the poweraid one not installed yet but im wantin to put in a 3" tornado in my cold air intake its custom and the 3" would fit just fine would that cause more swirl or the air goin in with the poweraid swirl ????

·
Registered
262 Posts
the 270ahr sounds great in my 96. now if i could just get it tuned
Does the older style computer system require it to be tuned for the cam? I have the 270 in my '01 and besides it throwing a false misfire reading I've never had drivability problems with it. This past wednesday I even put it under full load and boost and it never caused an issue.

Just curious to what exactly needs to be adjusted with your vehicle. Because from what I understand the computer will pick up on what needs to be changed automatically, but that could be something with the newer system though.

·
96 s10ss
58 Posts
Does the older style computer system require it to be tuned for the cam? I have the 270 in my '01 and besides it throwing a false misfire reading I've never had drivability problems with it. This past wednesday I even put it under full load and boost and it never caused an issue.

Just curious to what exactly needs to be adjusted with your vehicle. Because from what I understand the computer will pick up on what needs to be changed automatically, but that could be something with the newer system though.
I am not throwing any codes and the afr looks good after about 3k rpm but it dyno'd at only 172rwhp so something is not quite right. the tune is stock as is the intake, it drives good except for alittle lean (weak) at lower rpm it's fun to drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts