S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
PPG Sprayin Minitrucker
1,038 Posts
SMNW2003 said:
where the antenna comes through on the passenger side
Wouldnt you get some engine noise running it that close the the antenna wire??

·
Registered
806 Posts
PaintinDeezNuts said:
Wouldnt you get some engine noise running it that close the the antenna wire??
Nope. I have 0ga going thru there with no problems.

If you dont want to run it thru there, theres a dimple in the firewall on the drivers side that you can drill thru with no problem.

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
laynlow03xtreme said:
Nope. I have 0ga going thru there with no problems.

If you dont want to run it thru there, theres a dimple in the firewall on the drivers side that you can drill thru with no problem.

That's where I drilled the hole in my truck. I ran the RCAs down the passenger side without thinking that the battery was on that side. So instead of redoing the RCAs I just ran the power down the driver's side. Plus I couldn't find an easy access point to drill on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for help. went through just fine w/ antenna wire in passenger floor board. No, you generally won't get engine noise if you run your RCA's separate from your power wire. I also seriously hope this guy was joking about the frame rail thing!

·
CURL UP AND DIE
357 Posts
with the frame rail idea all you have to do is cover the wire and you are good...some people get an old shitty hose and run the power through there and zip tie up the hose on the rails on back. Ant

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
Burnt is right, there are some concerns, but they are way out there.

Like, what if in a wreck and wire gets cut open and leaking fuel and sparks.....

But it can and will work. However, its generally not recommended. :p

After mixing the power wire and RCA's near the amp one day for an experiment, I'm a firm believer in running them as far apart as humanly possible. That, or get some military grade shielded wire.

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
i drilled a hole next to the antenna for my 4 guage.. didnt feel like cuttin up the factory grommet.. just put a grommet in the hole ran the wire through than siliconed that sucker up.. now to remove all that to do my 0 guage kit now that i got the distro blocks from santa! lol

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I connected it to the fuse block on the driver's side, ran it down the wheelwell, and drilled a small hole under the driver's side step. Both the amp trigger and power wires run in the driver's side step trim perfectly. Even when you open the hood, just 3" of red wire are exposed so you can't tell there's a stereo installed. I ran the 60 amp fuse with 3" of wire from the battery + connect, so if the red wire contacts the frame anywhere, the fuse will blow and hopefully won't leave the engine dead. This setup works great, and I only used 8 feet of power wire. (The less the better) On another notw, don't use the cruise control fuse to trigger the amp, because it's noisy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts