S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive noticed most people dont realize this one if your truck is equiped with the 3.73 rear end move up to the 4.10 and add in a posi type unit you will notice a huge difference in power but there is a downside to this u loose some gas mileage and you may also have to recalibrate your tach and speedo so that it reads properly:cool: :D :cool: :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah i've thought about that but who makes a new speedo gear or recalibrates it ? And i belive if you have a 4 banger with a 5 speed you have a 3.73 ratio and the auto has a 4.10 because of the longer gears. I've thought about getting a used 4x4 rear because i belive they have 4 wheel disc. Again this is all ideas but i'll know soon enough . Who makes a posi unit for the 4 cylinder's open rear?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Actually, most 4 cylinder 5 spds came with 4.10.......they're not that great, I have 3.73 gears in the ZQ8, and raced my friend with 4.10, and he got the jump yeah, but I caught up in 2nd cause I ran it up farther and beat him pretty easily.......I'll stick with my 3.73's....unless big power is concerned, it doesn't seem that the gears are the downfall for these 4 cylinder trucks...its power

·
The Original A D M I N
18,797 Posts
your speedo will if you change gears. that can be done with any obdII programmer.

very easy thing to do.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
summerwolf is correct....but have many of younoticed that 3rd gear goes forever in the 1/4 and ive notivced most of these trucks dont get out of 3rd in the 1/4 when running realitevely stock, even with some modifications most of these trucks dont get out of 3rd in the 1/4 changing out the gears makes that 3rd gear come up faster for those of you looking for more pull on the track/street this mod can help

if your wondering about the 4wd rear ends yes you can swap one right in out of a junkyard from the same year truck pretty easily and its cheaper than having a shop do it for 800-1000 at least thats what ive been quoted around where i live

1 - 6 of 6 Posts