S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get rid of the AC compressor, the only way I see possible without a delete box is to lose the tensioner pulley and compressor pulley, and run the belt from the alternator right to the idler pulley with an accurate length belt. Problem is, the grooved side of the belt would be facing the smooth pulley, and it would probably slip off. Where can I find a grooved idler pulley to replace the smooth one? Does this sound like a good idea?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have run the grooved side of the belt on the flat idler on another vehicle with no bad effects. I have heard it will tear it up, but I haven't had the problem. I have run it like this for as long as two weeks at a time. I doubt it will fall off, since all the other pulleys are keeping it on the same plane.

In my case with the s-10, I removed the a/c and the power steering and all related components. I changed all the pulleys to v-belt style and put in an electric fan. The only thing belted is the crank, water pump and alternator. I put one of those aftermarket alternator brackets on that allows it to pivot so that tension can be put on the belt and the alt tightened down.

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
694 Posts
there's a factory set up for no AC. It puts a ideler where the comp. is.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I found a 3" grooved idler pulley at Autozone and bought it. It looks like it will work well but I just dont know how hard it will be to put tension on the belt? Where can I find one of those pivoting alternator brackets?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Autozone has generic. Summit and jegs has them for specific applications. Mine was a complete redo. I set it up like a 70's model 350. In fact I bought a v-belt for a 70's chevelle and it worked. I think you would have to convert to the v-belt system to do this. The deep v pulley is needed because you would never get it lined up to perfection. I would think a serpentine would get thrown off of it pretty easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts