S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Radio shack. Me and a friend went there, and asked for a db meter. Ooo wait it only goes to like 120db so it was useless to us.

I think if you want to test your system, you need a computer and some big equiptment.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
When I was into test equipment, the cheapest meter I ever worked with was a purely analog general radio unit, and it was a couple grand. A computer is not neccesary to determine roughly what your setup puts out, but I would think to gather an accurate estimation you would need to put the box in a sound deadening room, and have multiple mics. In your truck it would probably be fine I guess.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn.. i didnt think it wuld be this complex to test my system, i guess i'll check out the radio shak thing and see if mine goes beyond 120dB.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
If you REALLY want to hit the decibels bigtime, get a squib, attach it in paralell with the speakers, and attach it to the fuse of an M-80. So, when you really turn it up, hopefully the current going to the speakers will light the squib, then then M-80, with the addition of the output of your system, it is sure to work, in theory. Just don't have it around anything expensive, like your ears.

·
bumpin noma
1,287 Posts
Just go to your local audio shop and ask them to put you on the meter, usually be like $10. Might ask em what kind it is too, I know the linear x's are very tough, dont know the other ones, been outta the audio scene for a bit.

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Goldlines is what of the brands they carry btw.. relatively cheap. You have to consider though what you do at a competition is gonna differ from this meter because they dont use em at comps... They mainly use LinearX's, Termlabs, and Audiocontrols. MECA is switching over to the Termlab's this year.. so, heh.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
for 04 everyone will be switching over to the new termlab i bought the usb version for 618 shipped it kicks ass

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
ibanez691 said:
for 04 everyone will be switching over to the new termlab i bought the usb version for 618 shipped it kicks ass

where did yah get it? u got pics? i want one

·
Registered
242 Posts
ibanez691 said:
how accurate is it? would you mind is i stoped by and see what my system would hit, shit i would love to see your new paint job also. i just got my new 1500 watt amp and my 2 solo l7 10's..

marc

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
the termlab is like the best spl meter out there..so i've heard..all the big comps use it..so i guess there's no arguing with that..

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
ya termlab is the new standard in meters and ya you can stop by i charge 15 bucks to get metered gotta pay for the thing lol

·
Registered Slacker
3,439 Posts
lmao..can i rent it then? heh..i live in hawaii..lemme rent it out for a week or so heh..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts