S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looked in the engine compartment fuse box, nothing marked trans. Any idea which fuse powers the transmission and what the markings are? thanks. 99 zr2

B4U Task Force Admin
You really need to provide year, engine, and transmission info for us....we don't read minds... 馃お

Registered
The solenoids in the trans get power through the Instrument Cluster Fuse #11 in the Fuse panel on the left side of the dash.

I noticed your other posts regarding your gauges dropping out, and your trans getting stuck in one gear. Sounds like that circuit would be the starting point. It could be as simple as a corroded or loose fuse. I had a car where someone shoved a wire under the fuse to tap into it for an accessory, bent the pin and made connection terrible.

That circuit gets powered directly from the ignition switch. A white wire goes from the ignition switch to the fuse, then it's pink wire to the cluster and off to the transmission.
It's possible you have a connection problem at a connector, an ignition switch problem or a damaged wire somewhere.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
The solenoids in the trans get power through the Instrument Cluster Fuse #11 in the Fuse panel on the left side of the dash.

I noticed your other posts regarding your gauges dropping out, and your trans getting stuck in one gear. Sounds like that circuit would be the starting point. It could be as simple as a corroded or loose fuse. I had a car where someone shoved a wire under the fuse to tap into it for an accessory, bent the pin and made connection terrible.

That circuit gets powered directly from the ignition switch. A white wire goes from the ignition switch to the fuse, then it's pink wire to the cluster and off to the transmission.
It's possible you have a connection problem at a connector, an ignition switch problem or a damaged wire somewhere.
Thanks, awesome information. I appreciate it.

94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
two problems with a common theme- you need to check your grounds... start at the battery- check the posts and the cable ends for corrosion.

B4U Task Force Admin
two problems with a common theme- you need to check your grounds... start at the battery- check the posts and the cable ends for corrosion.
Up inside the cable also.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Up inside the cable also.
馃憤, Pulled the #11 dash fuse and there was scorching on the contacts but the fuse able link was still intact. Replaced with different fuse and no dice, all gauges came back but after a minute at idel poof. Grounds you're up, thanks for the insights.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
There is something weird going on though, because I blew a turn signal fuse the other day, replaced it and that has got no issues now.

94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
go to the rear and check the trailer wire pigtail- if not in use its tuck up into the left side harness- they tend to short and rot and do strange things...

Registered
The solenoids in the transmission are low side switched by the ECU, so a ground issue at the transmission isn't likely, and a ground issue at the ECU would cause quite a number of additional issues.

The instrument cluster ground goes to a splice pack near the ashtray, then is grounded on the right side of the dash according to service info.
The gauges themselves also have their own power at fuse #4

Do you remember which turn fuse it popped? Was it in the underhood fuse box or dash fuse box
Grounds can always be a culprit but I completely forgot about the trailer connector at the rear, that's definitely worth looking at.

Both the cluster and transmission get powered through the same circuit. Check the harness under the truck to make sure the wiring going into the trans isn't chewed or rubbing on something.

Another thing I thought of is maybe it's a worn ignition switch, maybe jiggling the key would do something? I probably wouldn't attempt it while driving though...

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
The solenoids in the transmission are low side switched by the ECU, so a ground issue at the transmission isn't likely, and a ground issue at the ECU would cause quite a number of additional issues.

The instrument cluster ground goes to a splice pack near the ashtray, then is grounded on the right side of the dash according to service info.
The gauges themselves also have their own power at fuse #4

Do you remember which turn fuse it popped? Was it in the underhood fuse box or dash fuse box
Grounds can always be a culprit but I completely forgot about the trailer connector at the rear, that's definitely worth looking at.

Both the cluster and transmission get powered through the same circuit. Check the harness under the truck to make sure the wiring going into the trans isn't chewed or rubbing on something.

Another thing I thought of is maybe it's a worn ignition switch, maybe jiggling the key would do something? I probably wouldn't attempt it while driving though...
The turn fuse that blew was driver's side rear in the engine compartment fuse box.

Occasionally hit a bump just right and it brings back gauges and you can hear it try to shift with gauges on occasionally. Will be checking all of these, and there are 6 codes. Thanks.

Registered
Oh my mistake all those fuses are in the under hood box, I'm just searching diagrams looking for any correlation.

The diagram shows 5 solenoids in the transmission all supplied by the same power wire.

What are the 6 codes?

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Oh my mistake all those fuses are in the under hood box, I'm just searching diagrams looking for any correlation.

The diagram shows 5 solenoids in the transmission all supplied by the same power wire.

What are the 6 codes?
P0135
P0740
P0753
P0758
P0785
P1860

Registered
P0135 is an 02 sensor heater circuit. That has it's own fuse and circuit and likely isn't related to the issue. UNLESS they share the same space within a harness and are shorting between them due to damaged wire insulation.

The other 5 codes are all transmission solenoid codes. Which of course if the power feed to them isn't working, then they would all throw a code.

To me all signs are pointing to that power circuit. I would inspect all the wiring I can get to under the truck and behind the dash fuse box/ignition switch and look for any possible damage or corroded connectors etc.
It could be a damaged wire, corroded, dirty or loose connector or a stressed wire/connector that may have gotten too warm.

Registered

Here is the wiring diagram for the transmission circuit including the power feed from the fuse.

Reactions: bl1871

Registered
Discussion Starter #20

Here is the wiring diagram for the transmission circuit including the power feed from the fuse.
Thanks, gonna need it. The wiring all looks good as it comes down from the engine to the trans. What I can see if it. Cut out the trailer ext. I had spliced in. And checked rear grounds. Also checked main grounds the one to the block is covered with crap, the one to passenger frame rail is groady, and the one to the radiator support is moderately dirty. It is still acting up. Thanks for everybody's help馃憤.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts