S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking all over summit racing and other sites for a decent cowl hood for under $400. Does anyone have some recommendations for certain brands, or experience with them?

·
Been there Done it
11,264 Posts
Just curious why a cowl hood? They don't offer anymore under hood clearance since they have same flat braces as a stock hood. Don't reduce weight or make the truck faster. And getting it PROPERLY painted with a quality finish equal to the finish on the original one will add another $500. Unless you own a body shop.
Of course you could rattle can it flat black. In which case get the cheapest hood you can find. They pop up on CL once in a while.
I have what I believe is a Goodmark steel ram air hood on on of my 99's. It's professionally painted Victory Red.
If you show up at my door with a stock 99 Red hood in equal condition I'll trade you. Free.
Not my truck. Just a pic of the hood style and color. Complete with non functional plastic front air inlet.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Same reason why we change most stuff that isn’t broken. It looks cool. And if u get a quality (expensive $650+) fiberglass one, u get clearance. Or cut the steel braces and reinforce it.

but, Cowls look cool. Like pro stock truck cool 😎

I had a functional ram air hood for my cavalier, looked similar to the red one. Looks good.

·
Been there Done it
11,264 Posts
I guess it's because I'm old and have seen the fads come and go since bubble and cruiser skirts, through the billet aluminum days and sunvisors to the super fat tires fad of today. Have you ridden in an S10 with 30 series tires? Hold on to your dentures. These old trucks don't have the modern suspension for tires with no sidewalls.
Cool is fine if it serves a purpose.
On a race truck a cowl hood has a function. But not on a cheap old truck that even with the biggest factory engine only puts out around 200HP.
If you think it looks cool fine. Don't do it because everyone else does. That's when things stop being cool.
Just an old farts opinion. It's your truck and your money. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Yea u sound old (it’s in your name lol) but that’s cool, I still love fender skirts, billet grills, metal flake never went out of style for me, but never liked the rubber band tires, rides like crap, looks like crap, bends wheels easy. Need a 40 series or some whitewalls.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody’s stinks but your own😂

I feel like it’s the same 8 ppl that usually post on here lol s10’s dysfunctional family. Pretty cool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts