S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Chevy S10 2.5L 4-Cyl Iron Duke
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 1988 S10 with a 2.5L Fuel Injected Iron Duke 4 cylinder. I suspect I have a bad or leaking fuel injector/injectors and want to go ahead and replace.
The thing is...I don't know where they are located. I've seen some YouTube Videos that show a couple of injectors inside the throttle body.
It's hard to trace the fuel line.

Any thoughts...pictures?

Many Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi,
I have a 1988 S10 with a 2.5L Fuel Injected Iron Duke 4 cylinder. I suspect I have a bad or leaking fuel injector/injectors and want to go ahead and replace.
The thing is...I don't know where they are located. I've seen some YouTube Videos that show a couple of injectors inside the throttle body.
It's hard to trace the fuel line.

Any thoughts...pictures?

Many Thanks,
Mark
If you've no experience or even vehicles factory service manual, it would be beneficial to at least aquire the latter and probably hire the former to obtain the fix at lowest costs that lasts the longest.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree. If you don't know where they are you should probably have a pro do it. I paid my local mechanic $350 in labor to do new injectors on mine when I had one leaking really bad a couple years ago. I could have done it myself, but to me it was worth the money to have it done by a trusted professional and having the work guaranteed. Not worth risking flooding the engine with gas or having my truck burn to the ground. And usually if it is a quick part for me to change, I go with the cheapest chinese aftermarket part I can find on rockauto. With the injectors go with the OEM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The injector on the 2.5 tech4 is directly under the air cleaner lid, mounted to the top of the tbi unit
Yes Indeed, Shannonwilk!! Thank you!!
It appears to be pretty easy to unplug and remove/replace. Looks like one screw on a retaining bar or strap and then pull out.
Know where to find an OEM replacement? May have to go with refurbished.

Many thanks to all for feedback!! Mark

·
Registered
1997 s10 ls, 5 speed/2.2.
96 Posts
@msdibble HOLD UP THERE COWBOY.
Please make sure you buy a throttle body gasket set and get instructions on how to properly remove and replace the injectors and gaskets on that tbi unit. If you don't IT WILL LEAK AND YOU WILL BE WORSE OFF THAN WHERE YOU STARTED.
if I remember correctly the 2.5 tech 4 has a single injector and a single "barrel" throttle body.
The gm tbi is a great, simple, reliable fuel injection system but please take the time and spend the $40 or so to get a kit and some instructions from a haynes manual, factory service manual, or Google. Trust me

·
Registered
460 Posts
The injector on the 2.5 tech4 is directly under the air cleaner lid, mounted to the top of the tbi unit
Ya to that. You wanna know what your doing overhauling that unit or end up with a desktop novelty
Yes Indeed, Shannonwilk!! Thank you!!
It appears to be pretty easy to unplug and remove/replace. Looks like one screw on a retaining bar or strap and then pull out.
Know where to find an OEM replacement? May have to go with refurbished.

Many thanks to all for feedback!! Mark
Looks Easy. Easy to destroy without patience , correct tools . Service info can be handy if you get stuck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree to all of this. It looks simple to pop the air cleaner, unplug power lead, unscrew torx bolt and take out securing plate,
BUT - that doesn’t free the injector and I backed off at that point - not wanting to force it.

I think I can find gaskets on Rock Auto. Is the general consensus that removal/replace instructions would be in a Haynes manual?

Many thanks to all !!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is the general consensus that removal/replace instructions would be in a Haynes manual?
Haynes manual has been my best friend. Get one. Mine is all greasy and well-worn after all the times I have needed it. You can pick one up at autozone or get a used one dirt cheap online. Between smart people on this forum, youtube, and the Haynes manual, I have been able to do everything I need to.

That said, I don't doubt the factory service manual has more information.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
33,628 Posts
😂😂😂…That’s hilarious. The only thing a Haynes is good for is birdcage liner. The FSM for my my truck is two volumes and about 5” thick.

·
Boozebag
10,533 Posts
Haynes has very basic repair instructions for a general repair.
Specifics are covered more comprehensively in the GM repair guide.

How did you determine your TBI injector was at fault?
There are a lot more associated parts that can cause issues... in case you weren't aware.
It is not common for an injector to fail. They are more or less bullet proof.
Unless this rig has been out of service for many years, or has been exposed to super humid conditions without the air filter in place, I would do a little more research into your problem.
What are the symptoms???
Did you change your fuel filter? Pretty basic, but overlooked.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had the engine struggle to start a few times...cranked, coughed, slowly rev"d up.

I have changed the filter. also plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor & coil (which was a bear). Also, EGR valve, PCV valve.

I did pull the Idle Air Control and it was filthy dirty. I clean it all off and reinstalled. Changed Air Filter and noticed what seemed to be dripping, uneven spray pattern out of the injector.
Thought I would change it. After some research, I saw where you simply unplug power connector, unscrew and remove retainer clip and then use a flathead screwdriver to pry up on the injector to get it out of the TB.
That made me a little nervous as I didn't want to break it off in the TB. So... I fashioned a cleaning tip out of a Q-tip...soaked it with carb cleaner and reached up under the injector and cleaned it off...it was really dirty! Cleaned it a couple of times. Then started it and held a flashlight behind the TB at the injector. Saw a much more even spray pattern coming out of the injector.
Seems to be running much better now. No starting problems or struggling idle.

Thanks to all for the feedback and suggestions!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts