S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have about 22,000 miles on the X and I am wondering when I should change the fuel filter?, what filter is a good one to use? how do you do it? don't feel like paying for installation.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i think you can check your manual for the maint. scheldue, the filter itself is just a screw-in type located on/in the frame rail.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
30,000 miles max before you should change it.
Stock A/C Delco replacement is more than good enough!
Newer ones have a fitting on one end and a push in lock on the other end of the gas line. You need to hold the line forward and you pull back on the botted end. Have a pail ready for excess gas uder pressure, but I find local garages when not busy will change one out for around $25, and for the possiblity of getting it into your face, eating your driveway away, good cheap insurance even though DYI is cheaper.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The ac delco is about $12.00. It's on the frame below the driver's door. It is mounted in a strap, my was hard to get out of the strap. So first thing use a socket and remove the bolt holding the strap to the frame. Well first you want releave the presure in the fuel line. You can do this at the shader valve, in my case I have my fuel presure sending unit there so I removed the fuel pump relay in the fuse box and cranked the motor over. Then have a small bucket under the filter, I lost about a cup of gas. disconnect the fitting on the front by pressing the 2 gren tabs in and pulling the line off the front. Next take 2 wrenchs and loosen the back side. It's not that hard. But be very carefull when messing with gas. You should disconect the battery and check for leaks to. And don't take my advise. I'm not even a mechanic YET.

·
Hates 'know-it-alls'
26,065 Posts
x01 said:
And don't take my advise. I'm not even a mechanic YET.

Sounds like a good explanation to me. Follow his instructions and you shouldn't have any problem changing out that fuel filter. If you run into any problems though just let us know and we can help you out some more.

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
I sprayed gas all over my eyes the first time I changed my fuel filter, and I am an auto mechanic. HAHA. Make sure they give you the right filter at the dealer, mine also has the clips on one side of the filter and use wrenchs for the other.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts