S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just bought me a 2000 s10 with the 4.3 and I’m looking to do what any teenage kid would do and lift it with some big boy wheels and tires! What’s the best size and offset to go with chasing the modern truck scene without the rubber band tires if that makes sense!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,359 Posts
2wd...4wd...how much lift..off road road tires...donks....what's you budget?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2wd and looking at the 6 inch rough country and off road tyres and no budget
RC's 6-inch kit is for 4WD, only. Lift options for 2WDs are more limited than for 4WDs. You can assemble components to total 6" of lift on a 2WD, but it's less straightforward than doing so on a 4WD where you can buy a complete 6" kit and install it.
For a 2WD, you could get 3" from lift spindles, another 2" or so from lift springs (note, the more lift you get from the springs, the stiffer the rider will be). If you added a body lift, you could get 6" total lift.
In the rear, you can move the leaf springs ontop of the axle (pretty sure this is how most 6" 4wd kits lift the rear) which will raise the rear ~5.5" (if you're going to do that, be sure to factor in whether you plan to do a body lift, or not) or shackles which come in various lengths for various amounts of lift.
Entirely doable, just be aware that lifting a 2WD isn't the same as 4WD.

FWIW, I just picked up a 2wd 2002 s10 last week as a project truck, myself, and have been researching this extensively. I've lifted my 4WD F150, but never a 2WD. For the S10, I plan to go with 3" spindles, 1" lift springs, and shackles in the rear. No body lift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RC's 6-inch kit is for 4WD, only. Lift options for 2WDs are more limited than for 4WDs. You can assemble components to total 6" of lift on a 2WD, but it's less straightforward than doing so on a 4WD where you can buy a complete 6" kit and install it.
For a 2WD, you could get 3" from lift spindles, another 2" or so from lift springs (note, the more lift you get from the springs, the stiffer the rider will be). If you added a body lift, you could get 6" total lift.
In the rear, you can move the leaf springs ontop of the axle (pretty sure this is how most 6" 4wd kits lift the rear) which will raise the rear ~5.5" (if you're going to do that, be sure to factor in whether you plan to do a body lift, or not) or shackles which come in various lengths for various amounts of lift.
Entirely doable, just be aware that lifting a 2WD isn't the same as 4WD.

FWIW, I just picked up a 2wd 2002 s10 last week as a project truck, myself, and have been researching this extensively. I've lifted my 4WD F150, but never a 2WD. For the S10, I plan to go with 3" spindles, 1" lift springs, and shackles in the rear. No body lift.
Keep me updated I know very little about lifting trucks as I’m a car guy all I know is low life lol!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keep me updated I know very little about lifting trucks as I’m a car guy all I know is low life lol!
Ha, I feel ya. As a kid I was all about that low life. First car was a '90 240sx fastback. Lowered it, rolled the fenders, etc. Loved that thing!

A useful resource for seeing lift size and fitment with various wheel/size options is Custom Offsets' Gallery. Poke around for ideas. Some guys put some good detail in the description of their trucks (where they had to do any trimming, if they still rub at full lock, etc).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha, I feel ya. As a kid I was all about that low life. First car was a '90 240sx fastback. Lowered it, rolled the fenders, etc. Loved that thing!

A useful resource for seeing lift size and fitment with various wheel/size options is Custom Offsets' Gallery. Poke around for ideas. Some guys put some good detail in the description of their trucks (where they had to do any trimming, if they still rub at full lock, etc).
My biggest thing is finding wheels I wanna do a 22inch set up but those are mainly for bigger trucks and now I’m wondering if there’s 6 lug conversion kits out there for these

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,359 Posts
Seems like this just came up a short time ago...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts