S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
built em to break em
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my truck is in the process of being body Dropped and can't seem to find a wheel to tuck up in the fender. I bought some KMC nova 701's a couple a weeks ago, and they don't tuck!!!! I'm wanting to run 20x8.5's on all 4's and it seems that I need a +15 to +25 offset in order to tuck?

So question is what wheel and offset do you have and where would the best place be for me to go and find the right wheel?

this will be the friggen third set of wheels I have for this stupid truck and i want something that fits!!!!! :lol:

Cheers
Dean

·
Tater Kustomz
1,181 Posts
I'm basically having a similar problem with my 92 S10 (don't mean to jack your thread)... One of the first things I did was get a set of wheels for my truck that would tuck; They're 18x8.5 Devino adana's (don't know the backspacing). Here's a pic. Right now, my buddy is in the process of finishing my body drop for me and he came across the problem of the wheels not tucking in enough as its dropping to miss the fenders. They cleared just fine before the body drop (it's bagged all the way around with 2" drop spindles up front). Does anybody have a suggestion besides new wheels? I've considered flaring the front fenders a bit or tubular control arms (which I'd like to stay away from since I don't have the $$$ to get them). I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for me?

Thanx,
Joe

·
Tater Kustomz
1,181 Posts
Any suggestions at all? (sorry for being impatient...kinda have a dead line for this to get it all back together and drivable before snow) I'm thinking about control arms a bit more too.

·
Tater Kustomz
1,181 Posts
Awesome! I'll give that a try. Thanx! And sorry again Dean, didn't mean to jack your thread, just had a similar question and didn't wanna start a new thread!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Switch back to the stock spindles they are a half inch narrower and the added camber helps the wheels tuck in the fenders I had this problem with my first gen. The tires were resting on the fender lip when I tried to lay it out stock spindles fixed it.

·
DELIBERATE DESIGNS
8,141 Posts
Switch back to the stock spindles they are a half inch narrower and the added camber helps the wheels tuck in the fenders I had this problem with my first gen. The tires were resting on the fender lip when I tried to lay it out stock spindles fixed it.
This,

I had to do it on my 2nd gen with the Nova's. Not only will this narrow your track width, but with stock spindles, the suspension will be a different range of it full articulation at ride height. So that will also pull the wheels in some what.

What type of control arms are you using?

·
Tater Kustomz
1,181 Posts
Stock control arms. It barely lays out with the drop spindles...might be able to take it outa the bag cup? I didn't bag my truck, so I'm not sure...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I had to cut a bunch but got the stock arms to lay with the stock spindles. I had 16's on it but the tire height was the same as a 225/40/18.

·
Tater Kustomz
1,181 Posts
Cool...Good to know and I'll let you know how it turns out. I even have a buddy with a s10 blazer who wants my drop spindles, so I might just trade him, shim the arms (still needed with stock spindles? or?) and trim the bag cups.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I just had the arms shimmed so that the alinement was in spec at ride height. To get it to lay I had pie cut uppers, dehumped lowers, my upper cup was pretty short just tall enough for the fitting not to hit the pocket, and notched for the tie rods.
On my second Gen I just dehumped and plated the lowers and eliminated the need for the lower cup. I'm running 2" tall upper cups and it lays out on stock spindles with 225/40/18 tires.

·
Tater Kustomz
1,181 Posts
Sorry to bring an old thread back up, but I'm starting to deal with the problem finally (just got my truck back like 3 months ago and I've been working on the body work aspect of it). So will the Thorbecke control arms camber in my tires enough to clear the fender?

·
I SHIT BRICKS
6,079 Posts
thats odd i wonder what my offset is on my 18s...i have like an inch to an inch and a half room between rim n fender minimum when cycling suspension

·
Tater Kustomz
1,181 Posts
I wish I had that much room! lol

Anybody know if the Thorbecke control arms will camber me in a bit to clear the fender? Ricky at suicide doors is waiting on me to let him know if the order is a go or not. lol

·
No more blazer
1,235 Posts
The arms will work fine for a BD truck.

And agreeing with the above statement at +19mm offset you need at least. My truck is bodied and my wheels are +30mm. THey clear the hood rail on the fender completely but its really close.

·
Tater Kustomz
1,181 Posts
I got ahold of Jason Thorbecke and he said that they won't fix my problem...Now I'm trying to find out if the Kris Dye fab control arms will fix it

·
V8 with bags
7,374 Posts
i doubt any of them will, you will need a shorter control arm, which if you just do the uppers will give you more camber. you could just shim the stock upper arm to give it more camber instead of spending money on arms. You will most probably need to get different rims, or go to stock spindles to get the extra camber. But using stock spindles will be more work to get it to lay out on a larger rim and tire. I know there is a project thread called "post club motivation" or something similar who had the same problem, and MMW made him some new arms to give it more camber. If you are dead set on keeping those rims, id see what they did to fix it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts