S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after realizing road salt has started to win its battle with the lower body of my truck, i finally decided what i want to do to take care of the problem, and i was wondering what ppls opinions were and if anyone had any tips

1st off, im going to sand the paint from the bottom of the body to about an inch up to take care of the rust, then put some por 15 on and some of that spray can bed liner over that so the lowest 1 inch of my body will be bed liner. im not sure how that spray in stuff is but i dont have the money to take it to line x to get it done

i also have some rust forming at the bottom of my doors, so i was going to sand and prime those ares and take it to a local body shop to get painted to match my body color. im not sure how much it would be, but im hoping by prepping it for paint myself, ill save some money

anybody have any suggestions?

·
fog it!
487 Posts
if the rust has worn the metal thin it realy should be cut out and replaced with new metal or it will eventually come back and eat holes. but if you can sand the rust off clean then you should put a good etching primer on it then a primer surfacer before you take it to be painted. as far as the spray can bed liner and por 15 it should work ok if you sand it really good

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
i was schooled with por 15 years ago and was informed it can't be topcoated.maybe they've changed it.the only way to make sure rust does not come back is to physically remove it.grinding,blasting or cutting it out.

BTW if somebody preps their car for paint for me,unless it's a 1/2 ass complete single stage paint job,i'll charge more.

·
fog it!
487 Posts
the can of por i had said if it was gonna be exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time it should be top coated

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
obviously they changed it,it's been 7 years.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
painttoad said:
i was schooled with por 15 years ago and was informed it can't be topcoated.maybe they've changed it.the only way to make sure rust does not come back is to physically remove it.grinding,blasting or cutting it out.

BTW if somebody preps their car for paint for me,unless it's a 1/2 ass complete single stage paint job,i'll charge more.
i am getting rid of the rust entirely, but usuing por 15 to ensure it doenst come back, and i understand why u would charge extra for painting if someone preped it, but if done correctly i dont see why it would end up costing more....keep in mind its not the whole car, but a small area thats going to be painted.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
what i know is correct and what somebody else thinks is correct are 2 totally different things(i almost guarantee it) and what you are doing proves that.if the rust is GONE no need to use por 15.

·
fog it!
487 Posts
he's right por 15 is made to go over rust and seal it . but its also good for the back sides of welds to if you can get to them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts