S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i am gonna get an S10 soon and am trying to make up my mind about which i should get, the 2.2 or the 4.3? gas mileage is an important factor for me and i need to know what kind of mileage you guys are getting.

i know stock is about 15 or 16 city but with the mods some of you have done i would like to know what you get now and with what mods.

thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
even with upgrades??

what about adding a chip, headers, exhaust, intake and all that good stuff. i know it gives you more horsepower and torque but doesn't it also give you better gas mileage on top of that? anybody know how much more?
i would love to get the 4.3 because of the 4x4 and power but i need to get a good 20mpg. i have a durango at the moment and the gas mileage is bad enough for me to not wanna keep it after the lease is up, the 4.3 is better but ain't too far behind.

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
my last tank was about 16MPG city driving pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
New I averaged 15-18. Now with the mods done I get 21 on average around town, and 25-27 highway.
Mods:
K&N Gen 2
JBA Headers
ASP Crank Pulley
ADS Module
EGR Partial Block off
MAF MOD
Deflector Removed
TBI bored out .060 and custom throttle plate
MSD6AL
Crower 1:6 Rockers
3 Inch Exhaust, using a Random Tech Cat, Dynomax super with turndown.
160 Stat
5-Speed with 3:08's, 4x4 extended cab

·
Canuck w/Truck
624 Posts
I'm pulling 18 mpg (city w/4.3) with a K&N Drop In. I also had a motorvac done recently. That is also letting it warm up for ten minutes in the morning and after work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
4.3 mileage

I just bought a 2001 x-cab xtreme with the 4.3 auto. Driving 115 miles per day mostly with the cruise set at 74 mph I can get 23.2 mpg on a good day (no idling in traffic). I recently installed a K+N filter element which did absolutely nothing for the mileage, but did make the top end a little more noticeable. =)

On my 2000 4x4 jimmy (also 4.3 auto) driving under similar conditions I can get about 19.5 mpg.

Having traded in a 3.4L camaro that got 27 mpg at it's very worst, I'm somewhat dissapointed with the mileage, but the xtreme is so much fun to drive I wouldn't even consider getting the 2.2. Furthermore, the better trade in value alone would be worth taking the hit on gas mileage.

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
I get bout the same as you phat *******......the only driving I really do is far distances when I go home from school. I also have a '01 Ext. Cab X and get 20-23 mpg on the interstate with the tail gate down. I also had a '95 Camaro as my first car. It was alot better with the gas milage but the truck is hella more fun. Later all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I get between 21 and 23 mpg on the highway with a '92 TBI. Newer trucks should get even better milage.
~b

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
I'm at 22-23 on the highway but mine's 4WD also, and rated at like 5MPG less than the 2WD counterparts. E-fan helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
finally figured mine out. I'm getting 18-20mpg. That's daily city driving.

·
Getting Layed
1,545 Posts
my last was 18.6 driving normal, stepping on it every once and a while. mostly city driving, but a lot of country roads.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
my 2.2 2000 ext. cab gets 8MPG city about 10 highway. :( :( I want a 4.3 ahhhhhhh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts