S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's what my truck is doing ... when I am downshifting, sometimes, it's hard to get into gear. I have to jam it in there sometimes. And then, when I come to a traffic light on a upward slope; I am in first gear with the clutch pushed in. Well, instead of the truck rolling backwards like it should, it catches gear!!!

Has anybody ever had this problem before?

Thanks.

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
I think mine's getting to that point, if you figure it out, let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fluid is good. I have a little over 70K miles. I am going to replace the clutch. Hopefully this will take care of it.

Can somebody explain to me what a slave cylinder does?

·
Registered
11 Posts
if it is staying in gear it is probably not the clutch gone bad. If the clutch were worn you wouldn't have any drive power even when increasing the engine speed. More likely the slave cylinder as mentioned not allowing the throwout bearing to put enough pressure on the fingers of the pressure plate.

The slave cylinder is about 5" long on the side of the transmission and is a hydraulic cylinder. When you push on the clutch pedal you are actuating the main cylinder on the firewall which then pushes the rod in the slave far enough to push the arm in the bell housing. Try bleeding it.
That is mentioned in a similar thread "bleeding 1995 t5".

We just replaced a clutch, for slipping, and had to bleed the slave which shouldn't have been necessary since we didn't disconnect any lines.

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts