S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the cavi 2.2 motor and the s10 2.2 motor besides the cavi was mounted sideways and wrong wheel drive?

·
94 s10 in progress
2,492 Posts
the exhaust manifold is different (thats why outs say TRUCK on them), i imagine the intake manifold is different too for clearance, otherwise year for year i would think it is the same motor

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can always swap intake manifolds and add on the turbo manifold... i just need to know if besides these two things that if its the same

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BUMP... can we get a definite answer so i can buy this motor

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
motor is the same. nothing is different other than the intake and exhaust manifold. and no you can't bolt up the turbo manifold/header from a cavalier, the turbo will hit the brake booster.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
motor is the same. nothing is different other than the intake and exhaust manifold. and no you can't bolt up the turbo manifold/header from a cavalier, the turbo will hit the brake booster.

ima make a custom turbo header so we got that outta the way...

just need an intake manifold and stock exhaust manifold... ill see what i got at work today

·
94 s10 in progress
2,492 Posts
naw all pre 98 heads are the same, same with 98+ (except flex possibly)

also you will need to bore some holes as all motor mount holes were not factory tapped and differ from the car and truck

·
7 P.S.I. is not enough
294 Posts
Hey Stivky aint the cavis over head cams and the s10 are over head valves am i right or am i wrong i though cavis were ohc

·
7 P.S.I. is not enough
294 Posts
Sticky not Stivky

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they both look the same... its just so hard finding a 2.2 truck motor

·
Registered
49 Posts
CAV 2.2 up to 93 will not work - NO motor mount bosses for truck mounts cast into block. After 94 they are supposed to all have them. Plus these have flat tappet cams, not roller cams.

94 & 95 Cav & truck - NO cam sensor hole - can not be used in 96 - 99

96 - 99 Has the cam sensor hole that can be plugged with a 3/4" freeze plug for use in a 94-95

98 & 99 Crank were supposedly different form other years. The timing notches for the Crank shaft possition sensor were moved so your sensor wont read correctly if you have a 94 - 97 2.2l.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i'm not sure, but i believe the heads are different. The truck probably has a bigger cam.
I have put a Cavalier head on my 97S10. The head came from a 96 cavalier. The only differenceis the water outlet. The Cavalier head had a metal plug in the hole where the truck outlet should be. I knocked out the plug and the water outlet bolted on. I didnt have to drill any holes in the head just the knock out plug. I have been running the Cav head now for three years. It cost $25.00 in a self service used auto parts place here in St. Louis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts