S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
napa has two different parts, i just changed my serpentine belt and the tensioner pulley is w orn , but whe ni look up the part it has an idler pulley anda tensioner pulley both for w/ or w/o ac and w/ or w/o balance shaft.... whats the diff? idler pulley looks like it has a bearing whereas tensioner doesn't. btw 93 4.3 sonoma w/o ac w/ balance i believe, a pn would be sweet

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
This is an idler pulley for a 93 without a/c.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GOO&mfrpartnumber=49018&parttype=806&ptset=A

and this is a belt tensioner pulley assy.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GOO&mfrpartnumber=49208&parttype=819&ptset=A

You can also buy just the tensioner pulley itself.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=808&PTSet=A&SearchFor=Belt Tensioner Pulley

I admit the pulleys themselves look to be the same though. You
don't mention if it's TBI or CPI. The pulleys are NOT the same
after looking at part numbers. HTH's

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
tensioner pulley goes on the thing that has a spring on the arm and tensions the belt
idler pulley replaces something, as in AC in the case of that one... it goes where your ac goes instead of an ac pump

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome thanks, so the idler pulley is just for an accessory or somthing? i know its the tensioner pulley i need just didn't know what an idler pulley was,or if it could be known as a tensioner pulley, i believe i just need the pulley not the tensioner because my old belt broke, it looked worn in the middle, and now the new belt is wearing on the inside edge of the tensioner , and squeals harsh, so the new tensioner pulley will come with a new bearing right? and is this tensioner adjustable because it sure doesn't look like it, btw cpi

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
mikewiebe1987 said:
awesome thanks, so the idler pulley is just for an accessory or somthing? i know its the tensioner pulley i need just didn't know what an idler pulley was,or if it could be known as a tensioner pulley, i believe i just need the pulley not the tensioner because my old belt broke, it looked worn in the middle, and now the new belt is wearing on the inside edge of the tensioner , and squeals harsh, so the new tensioner pulley will come with a new bearing right? and is this tensioner adjustable because it sure doesn't look like it, btw cpi
well, i'm no mechanic, but...

I would assume the pulley will have a new bearing, it would just make sense, but then things sometimes don't work that way. call up the parts store or go up there and check it out first

as far as tensioner adjustability, ummm... yea it's adjustable, but you shouldn't have to adjust it. It's got a big ass spring on the arm where it comes from the engine block and that's what applys the pressure to the belt, keeping it tensioned. you should notice this as to remove the belt you will have to insert a 1/2 (i think) breaker bar or ratchet into the end of it to pull it down and release the tension on the belt

some shit like that bro...

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Yea the idler is manily for an A/C app but it is also used to keep
the belt riding straight. You can buy just the belt tensioner pulley
and it will come with a bearing. You can also buy just the bearing
if you take it out and have it matched up, but it's not really worth
it, when you can have a new pulley and bearing assy for a few
bucks..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
the tensioner isn't adjusted by that round lookin assembly just above the actually tension pulley is it?, because at first i gave that a good crankbut i didnt' feel it move, maybe i could have adjusted it? then again i just rememberd the old belt broke while driving so i bet its just the pulley cuz it looks pretty worn, ill pick one up today and let ya know, thanks guys

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Most of the time idler pulleys have the grooved side of the belt go around them and tensioner pulleys push on the smotth back side of the belt. Tensioner pulleys move on some type of spring loaded mechanism to keep tension on the belt

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i bought the pu lley, installed it, , fyi the bolt is reverse threaded, however the new pulley was considerably smaller,like 1/3, but still holds the same tension, which is weird because the tensioner did not push it further because of the extrra play, it stopped in the same spot but still holds the same tension, oh well squeaking took a few km's to wear away so it wasn't the bearing, the old pulley must have put a groove onthe new belt that was causing squeaking, the old pulley was fcked, oh well no more sick birds under my hood, but my transmission is making a gross clunking chattery noise when idling with the clutch released, what could this be? i checked tranny mounts and tranny bolts but they're all tight, im hoping it aint the clutch or the rear end, it makes the noise a bit when letting the clutch out in first until fully engaged, what else should i check, and i dont wana drp the tranny :( fluids are all good, could this just need a clutch cable adjustment? btw what type of clutch is it? 93 4wd 4.3 sonoma, aalso i have a clicking noise from dash like electrical, almost as if there were a mechanical speedo back there and it isn't lined up right, varies with throttle application... almost sounds like a relay or the ecm or somthing but it sounds too mechanical , sorry for all the questions but this topic is where i have gotten the most help since joining...

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
mikewiebe1987 said:
speaking of pullies, im lookin at some jet underdrives, anyone have these? recommend somthing else maybe? P/N is JET90105
You might want stay away from JET pulleys. I got burned on em a few yrs
back and promised the gen mgr I would pass on the fact that JET
treated me terribly over their bogus pulleys. If you want pulleys
you might look at March pulleys over at Summit.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=4294925232+4294839035+115+400108

Myself, I'll never buy another pc o sh*t product from JET again

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just what i wanted to hear, products are only as good as their support i find
havn't heard anything about march, but i will be lookin into them from here thanks
as ffor the clutch, anyway i can troubleshoot that release bearing?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also typically, what pullies are replace with underdrive kits, because im seeing some that are just crank/alternator and some with like alternator water pump power steering and crank pulley

1 - 15 of 15 Posts