S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 92 Astro with the 4.3 and he's got way more power then I do, and more miles, and I've got a 93 S10 4.3 (Z code). Are the safari's vortech's or something? his is still a throtle body like mine, but seems to just go way better? What's the difference? Maybe I should get a astro 4.3 insted of rebuilding my Z 4.3 in my truck now. Or can i just get different factory heads on my Z code 4.3 to make it more peppy?
Thanks for your imput guys.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think the Astro 4.3Ls are the same as the blazers and 4x4 s10s. It has 10 more hp (190 total). This is due to the larger y-pipe.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then what's making it so much more powerful then mine? I can't figure that out.
Another question would be, what vechiles could come with the "W" code i think it is, i guess its' not a full Vortech, but it's got the vortech heads, swirl port. Can I pop those heads onto my Z code engine and have it mate up to the current TBI intake manifold that's on my Z engine?
I'm just full of questions and looking for answers. I was going to do code comparson's but now that s104x4.com site is down and they are the only place that I know of that had all the coedes and stuff on it, unless you guys can also point me to some other site that would help me out any. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
is his astro tbi injection like your 4.3? If not thats where his power is comming from.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, his astro is a TB like mine, all I can guess is the heads could be different, it's jsut way more powerful.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If they are both running in perfect condition, then yes the vortec/non vortec heads would make the difference. But if you are talking about traction, he may have the AWD setup.

And yes you can put the Vortec heads on your block, but the intake manifold has a different bolt pattern. Therefore you need a vortec TBI manifold to fit yours. I don't know if I would go this route though, it's not necassarily the most cost effective route to more power, unless you'll be doing the labor yourself.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to clear it up, yea, he's 2wd. He can lay way more rubber then I can, and then just takes off while i'm still trying to get going.
I was going to be doing all the labour myself, but if the vortech heads are not going to bolt to my intake, i think that's prolly not the route for me. I'll just put a cam in it and be done with it.
Then I want to get a smaller convertor (higher stall) from some other S10 2wd, i just don't know what, a 2.8 or 4.3? I don't think the 4 cylinders auto's used a 700R4/4L60/4L60E did they? I just need something smaller then the 4x4 convertor with prolly 1000 stall. It's big.
The common upgrade in the Caprice 9C1/Impalla's were to use an S10 convertor on the 4L60E, mabye I should look into where they get it from.

·
Mud Dummy
46 Posts
I think you will find the big difference is the exhaust and your gear ratios, look at his exhaust manifolds they are of a tubular style. and I bet he has a 3.73 gear ratio. they both have the same cam and heads just the exhaust give it a 10hp advantage
Kurt

·
The Primered Panther
313 Posts
If the Y-pipes are bigger on 4x4's and astro's will it bolt up to the 2-wheel drive s-10's...thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
My aunts 90 Astro has alot better takeoff than my Jimmy. The main difference is the TBI has a lower torque peak and the 3.73 gears. But my engine has better top end power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts