S-10 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,930 Posts
No idea what "cut me the huss" means.

I wouldn't let someone cut a single wire on any of my vehicles unless they actually showed me which wire was damaged, and where they were going to splice to and from.

Keep in mind, the PCM's require ~an hour or two of actual drive-time going at least 50mph in order to run all sensor diagnostic tests internally. That said, some codes will trip almost immediately- particularly Low o2 signal & MAF signal missing.
But an incomplete or not-ready status is not necessarily indicative of a problem that hasn't been fixed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok I've made note of the extended drive cycle. If the ready status still shows Incomplete: EVAP, Catalyst, O2 Sensor/Heater... it will fail the emissions test. I can only guess at how many drivers clear the SES light just before testing, thinking they will skate on through?!

I did authorize a new MAF sensor early on because it seemed like a means to an end, it wasn't. Then came spider injectors, which made sense that a leaking gasket could be dumping fuel. I was on the edge about an upgraded part if the culprit was nothing more than a bad gasket, but approved the upgrade which was a $750.00 pop that I didn't quite anticipate. I also approved the fouled O2 sensors, therefore he was authorized on parts, it's the necessity of replacement, labor and damages caused by him — more parts and labor — that I'll be trying to work out when it's finally compliant with Oregon DEQ.

As for the experimental wiring, I could not have guessed his electrical skills were so inferior until day's turned into weeks and by chance I got a look at his color-coded wiring diagram sketched on a scrap of paper. Immediately I printed for him a proper wiring schematics and troubleshooting for the 2002 S10 — courtesy of thebadwrench.

The new guy is apparently still digging around his yard or wherever for an appropriate used harness at a lesser cost than ordering new, cuttin me the huss.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,676 Posts
^^^I'll echo 98Sonosis..."cut the huss"??

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,930 Posts
Cutting the husk off a corn cob? I don't know, anyway...

You can't get new harnesses for these trucks... they haven't made'em since 04' in north America. 15 years ago. The vast majority of items are out of production and warehouses ran out long ago.

I am not sure why you'd authorize swapping a harness, I certainly wouldn't.

Factory wiring is simply automotive grade TXL, GXL and SXL wire. TXL and GXL being most common, and typically in 14 through 20ga. There's nothing wrong with an in-line section soldered in with heat shrink tube over both ends. Its something I do in my sleep.

If you want to get really fancy, all the connectors are metri-pak based, MP150 or MP280 variants, but they take common tang and tangless terminals which are easy to remove/install. Point being anyone half way competent at automotive wiring can do a proper fix in short order. If they're not competent, then that's why they're looking for another harness to use.

If it were me I'd pull the connector off the PCM (undoing the center bolt and pulling evenly), a few alligator clips and some short pieces of wire stuck in the terminals, I'd have the connector and line continuity tested in a matter of maybe 30 minutes I'd know which wire was bad (if any). Work back, find where the cut likely is, and either fish the sub-harness out enough to work on it, or splice it in place if I've got the room.

But again, there's like half a dozen P0 codes specific to the actual problem, I'd see what codes are pending or actually stored, and go from there. If there are no pending or stored p0 codes, but monitors read not-ready, odds are it simply hasn't or wasn't cycled far enough.

In the course of doing my engine swap, and having it out a few times, putting it all back together, and reflashing the PCM with tunes etc. I've had to "relearn" the sensors a good 5-6 times. It takes me about an hour and a half round trip at highway speed to get everything to read ready typically. I stop and grab a bite half way, sometimes its ready on all, sometimes 2 are pending, sometimes 3... its not a perfect science as to when the PCM decides to check the sensor status.

You're 100% right, people would reset the codes and go hoping they'd get tested good before they came back on. It doesn't work that way...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Guy just called and said he got it rewired and that all O2 sensors are sufficiently active. He's now monitoring the Live Data Stream while driving around — town and highway — and then will determine if the PCM survived the previous butchering, but he thinks it's good and will then cut me another solid by taking it directly to the DEQ testing station — $21.00 fee — when it's ready.

I forgot to ask if he replaced the harness with unused or old wiring, and how much he actually replaced. Sight unseen, I'll assume for now that from his description that it was an effed up mess.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The Huss: Exercising ones influence or privilege to do a favor for another in return for ________

I never have been able to shake that term from my Marine infantry day's; come to think of it, why should I? Hell i'm not even down with OPP yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I left copies of all my receipts and a self addressed/stamped envelope with the operations manager at shop#2 and asked if he would categorize which unnecessary parts, repairs and consequential damages I should seek compensation for from shop#1.

He said a detailed statement is something he will certainly do and even speak to the shop owner. Everything indicates that i'm required to make a good faith attempt in solving this before contacting my lender or filing court charges and this sounds like the most reasonable way to proceed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Police will not respond to that. If you suck it up and pay the bill, he really has no choice but to give it back.
that was the only way I could get a message to him, your site kicked off every time I tried to put a title in

·
Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
125 Posts
Here in Texas, if you stop payment on a credit card, I will take your car and put you in jail until the bill is paid. But this time to the county and they will pay me. If you don't sign a work order, then you aren't obligated to pay anything and an officer can help you retrieve your vehicle. If you did, then you owe what you agreed to within $100 (here, at least). But anywhere, paying a bill and then stopping payment is theft of services and a crime. If you don't want to pay and are justified not to, take them to small claims court. If you paid and feel ripped off, small claims court. If a repair was made, the price was agreed upon, and it didn't work out, you owe the mechanic the opportunity to fix it. But he also owes you the warranty... or off to small claims court. Usually shops will just pay you back rather than go into court. In court, the state and lawyers are the only ones who win.

·
Old Fart
3,870 Posts
Here in Texas, if you stop payment on a credit card, I will take your car and put you in jail until the bill is paid. But this time to the county and they will pay me. If you don't sign a work order, then you aren't obligated to pay anything and an officer can help you retrieve your vehicle. If you did, then you owe what you agreed to within $100 (here, at least). But anywhere, paying a bill and then stopping payment is theft of services and a crime. If you don't want to pay and are justified not to, take them to small claims court. If you paid and feel ripped off, small claims court. If a repair was made, the price was agreed upon, and it didn't work out, you owe the mechanic the opportunity to fix it. But he also owes you the warranty... or off to small claims court. Usually shops will just pay you back rather than go into court. In court, the state and lawyers are the only ones who win.
In all states, if charges are fraudulent as in repairs not done properly you have the right to dispute the charges. The credit card company then investigates and decides whether or not the money should be refunded. You are not stopping payment as you do on a check, you are disputing the charge. When a business signs the agreement with the credit card company they know that unscrupulous charges can legally be disputed and they will have to refund them. That is one of the advantages of using a card instead of paying with cash or check, you have more protection from crooked businesses.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts