S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have to replace the 2.2 in my truck. My dilema is, do I put in another 2.2? Upgrade to a V6? Or go all out with a V8 conversion?

I will have about 3 days to do either of these.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
2.2 Extremist
4,310 Posts
replace the 2.2, personally I love these motors the most, and a 4.3 or V8 swap is definately going to take more than 3 days unless you have lterally everything, even then I still don't think it'd be done in 3 days

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
replace with a used low mileage 2.2 or new 2.2l

a v6 swap is easy as its a stock engine, but you have to replace wiring, transmission, driveshaft, mounts, make new exhaust.. which tightens that 3 day deadline.

v8 is worse, youd need new harness, rear end, drive shaft, cooling system, gauges, exhaust, mounts, transmission..

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
the 2.2L lower mileage in the yards are rare to find around here and are 800 bucks and up

when we tried ot find one for a 2001 we just replace for someone there were only two in central IL at all and both were 70k miles or so and were 800 and 850 bucks each

youre gonna need more than 3 days and replacing the 2.2L was more difficult labor than doing a v6 or v8

ill never replace a 2.2 ever again,

they are a real pita to replace

i hate them

they are right up there with the pt cruisers and the 2000 years and up explorers and wow.

those engine swaps are some of the worst out there,

nightmares...

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the 2.2L lower mileage in the yards are rare to find around here and are 800 bucks and up

when we tried ot find one for a 2001 we just replace for someone there were only two in central IL at all and both were 70k miles or so and were 800 and 850 bucks each

youre gonna need more than 3 days and replacing the 2.2L was more difficult labor than doing a v6 or v8

ill never replace a 2.2 ever again,

they are a real pita to replace

i hate them

they are right up there with the pt cruisers and the 2000 years and up explorers and wow.

those engine swaps are some of the worst out there,

nightmares...
What made it a nightmare? I would think it should have been easy since it is a straight swap. :dunno:

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Most of the model year 2000 (IDK what year your truck is) 2.2s near me are $500, a few a $600 and one is $800, in the 120,000 mile range. I haven't replaced a 2.2 but I can't see why it would be any more than an easy weekend in my home garage by myself.

A V6 or a V8 swap into a 2.2 truck would take much more time, and to suggest they would be easier is pretty ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do any of you know if the 2000 2.2 is an interference or non-interference engine?
I did find a low mileage 70k engine for cheap.

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
What made it a nightmare? I would think it should have been easy since it is a straight swap. :dunno:
it isn't that bad. I did it at my buddies shop the first time never swapping an engine, took me 22 hours. Did it over a holiday weekend. The next time last september it took a bit, only cause my dad helped with it :rolleyes: and we ended up taking things apart a couple different times cause HE couldn't remember if something HE did was tightened :rant: That was a 2 day deal there. You will be fine. It cost me $800.00 for that engine w/ 100k on it. We took it all apart (pan and head gasket and it was all clean) replaced all the seals and crank sensor and thermostat and all.. came to right over a G. But it has been a good engine. I have a project thread going in member rides. I document the first engine install.

I tell you though, changing just the engine is a bitch because of the bolts around the bell housing..

·
zx6stunter
52 Posts
I just replaced my 98 2.2 that overheated and got ruined with a 2.2 out of a 2000. Took forever to find a good deal, but my truck has 110k on it and I found an old guy that sold me one out of his wrecked truck with 72k on it for $250, which is pretty good considering that around here 900+ is what I was finding, and thats not hearing the engine run or drive it first. Took 2 days, about 4 hours each day, pulled it one day, dropt it back in the other, alot easier if you pull the engine and tranny all together, at least it was for me, mine is an auto also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts