S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
YOOUUU BBEEETTT!!!, Joshua 1:9
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've already posted on here with wanting to know like what cheap mods i could add... but i want to know your opinions.... i have an '89 S-10 w/ ext. bed... now it's pretty fast already... i think it does 0-50mph in about 5-6sec... now it's completely stock, and there are two problems, one there's a rough idle, but it's always been like that, and second it peals out so easily, now i've heard of gettin traction bars or what not... but anyways i just want your guys' opinions about what i should do... i'm not rich so i can't go out and spend 3k on a supercharger or whatever just like that... i know about like cheap stuff like adding chips, and new headers but i want to make it faster :D ... i want peppy to be peppier... so what should i do that wouldn't cost that much but would add A LOT of horse...
thanks!!!
GOD BLESS
Croz

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it was your other post that I kinda got off on a rant, and I apologize, but whatever you do, don't be a bone head and think nitrous will solve it.

First things first, buy a shop manual for your truck. Then, fix that rough idle. There is no telling what is causing it without delving in pretty deep, and no idea how much other chit is being affected by it. So, take care of that first.

Now, a question to think about. There are 4 things that will help you (as in you the person) run faster, and they all apply to your truck too.

You would not expect to run a marathon in rollerskates, so the first thing to do is get some decent tread under you. You would probably go with a good pair of Nike's or some Adidas if those were what you liked. Expensive stuff. Same thing with your truck. Don't expect a set of $99 tires from Wal-Mart to be the ticket. Research some tires and make a decision from that. There are hundreds of tires to choose from, something will fit your budget and need.

Running that same marathon, you probably would get pretty hungry. Burnin up alot of fuel right? You wouldn't get away with eating a couple of pop tarts 5 minutes before the race. Runners actually have diets they follow to give them the energy they need. Luckily, the Automotive Petroleum Institute has already done most of the research for you on this one. Go get you some good gas! Don't just find the place with the cheapest super-unleaded and fill up. Try a few tanks full of a few different brands and grades of fuel. My brother and I tried this with my truck. We would fill up with a different brand or grade of fuel every Friday night before we went to the sand dunes to party and go wheelin. We found that Exxon Plus (the middle grade) ran the best for what we did. Now go find out which one works best for you.

When you are running, you have to breath in, and breath out. The better you do this, the better your body will perform. Start by swappin out that air filter for one with better flow! Now that you can breath in better, you gotta exhale. High flow catylitic converters and mufflers. Replace that exhaust system with something thats gonna flow better. Depending on where you live, some tricks are gonna be legal, others are not. Check your smog laws in your area and see how far you can "bend" their rules.

Now that the race is over, go run it again with 700 pounds of sand on yur back. Ain't gonna work is it? Shed some weight. Lots of little tricks here. There really isn't room to go into them all. Just think of everything that you can do without. Sounds messed up, but do you really need that spare tire? You are only cruising on a street that is three blocks from home. Some people drive rigs all the time with no spare. What are the chances of you blowin a tire anyways? Alright, you really don't want to part with it? Get a space saver spare. They are alot lighter. But, that's just one trick to shed some weight.

Most importantly, don't think of your truck as 400 little nuts and bolts that you are never gonna keep straight. Think of it in simpler terms. Break it down into sections that you can understand and go from there. You won't feel so overwhelmed and will actually start picking up on stuff here in the boards alot easier.

Good Luck.

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW!!! you sure wrote a lot... thanks for all the helpful advice... i was crackin up with your analogy... that was pretty cool... anyways so yoink out the air filter and stick something good in... ohh and with my truck i use Chevrolet/Texaco 91 octane and nothing else (unless i'm broke then i use the 87 or 89) ohh and yeah... my dad was telling me about gettin some bigger tires for her... thanks for bringing that up again... i totally forgot... and i never thought of changing out the catylitic converter or adding a new exhaust... well i really appreciate all the help... and i'll have to grab the manual and take a look at the sexy piece of machinery...
hasta man!!!
thanks again!!!
God Bless
Croz

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
I agree ..... almost!

FYRMAN.... You are correct! But I would add this to the mix.

How would you like to double your traction? How about a first step of a limited slip differential? If our friend the croznut is having traction problems without any modifications all the mods we speak of (with the exception of the new tires) will just allow him to do more impressive burn-outs. So, since a limited-slip differential is cheaper than a set of tires, let's start there. Now, here is my list of mods croznut should try and in this order. Since your gas suggestion is not a mod it's a no-brainer to do that first!

1. Limited slip diff.
2. Good tires
3. Intake
4. Exhaust

If at any time Croze nut runs into an traction problems, he should move to suspension mods and complete those first. Now remember, these are low cost mods, stuff that is easy to bolt up or cheap to have installed.

What do ya think?

Rick

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohhh that's a good idea too rick... umm di dumm lemme think... can i get this slip-diff anywhere... like Pep-boys or like Kragen Auto supply... or do i need to get it from like a website or some type of high performance shop??? secondly yeah i want to change my tires and well i'm gettin a 2/3 drop on it... my friend is lowering his truck even more and given me his drop... with the intake... is it a good idea to get one of those intakes that are like an arm that extends out with the air filter on it... don't know if they have a specific name, but a lot of people have them... here's a picture of what i'm talking about... is that a good idea or should i stick with my stock one and just get like a K&N filter... i know you guys will probably say get a new one... but i'm just in a curious mood :) ... and with like an exhaust sys... what's like a really good one too get??? is it just personal pref???
well anyways i've gotta scoot...
laterz!!!
God Bless
Crosby

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Patience young Grasshoppa!!!:D We got you on the right track... We got you thinking and asking questions now! HA HA Slow down. Take it easy. None of this should, or will, come to you quickly. I would advise you to do most of the work yourself so you have a greater appreciation for your ride. Not only that, but actually pay for most of it out of your own pocket. You get a greater respect for it, and you are less likely to go out and trash her. If you are uncomfortable doing this work, ask a friend or take some classes; but, try to have a hand in most of it. After a while you will get a good sense of what you can do and what should be left to the professionals.

Now as for what stuff to use... Take a look around and see what everyone else is running. Don't run right out and buy the biggest and best just because BBS Member X is running it and he is cool. Research what you buy. "will it fit without too many mods?" "will it hurt my performance any?" "will this actually work? or will it be a waste of time and money?" Whatever you do, don't do it just cause it looks cool. Keep your head down, ears open, and you will do just fine.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Do your homework!

The limited slip differential (or "Locker" as some people call them) is available new for about $100 from what I have seen in the posts here on the board. But here is what I'd do.

Follow FYRMAN's advice, get a shop manual. Or go to the library and check out the book for your ride. Do some research on the web. I know that some trucks came with locker read-ends and if you find out what the RPO code is for this option you can go to the junk yard and negotiate hard wioth the counter guy for the locker out of a junk truck...or the wole read end.

Oh, what is an RPO code?...that is part of your homework! now go find out.

This brings us to a whole new area. Cause FYRMAN and I both agree that you should do most of the work yourself, and you now know where to get the shop manuals for your truck, either purchased or borrowed, you will need the tools to do the job. If you live at home your dad has probably accumulated a nice collection of tools. Treat these tools like they were made of gold because if you have to replace them you'll think they were made of gold when you see the prices! Don't go to the junk yard without tools! If you negotiate hard with the guy you'll have to pull the parts yourself and if you don't have the tools you'll look like a weenie! WARNING!!! Most of the guys that work in junk yards are methanphedamine biker types and trust me, they will throw you out on your a$$ if you piss them off....or worse they'll let those evil dogs out on you while your in the yard! Don't piss them off...be firm...but don't be an ass!

So here is what you need to do. Do your research on new limited slip differentials and check out the prices. Figure out the RPO codes (try the web site www.s-series.org they have an RPO decoder.) Read the manual on how to remove the locker from the read end and on how to remove the whole rear end. Go to the junk yard and see it you can get a better deal on a locker there and take the tools you need. And, If your lucky, you'll have taken a big leap forward in your knowledge of your truck and also helped your truck "hook-up" on those racing launches.

Now if you get lost in this process, come back here and we'll give you some more help. Now what does all this help cost you?? If you have a digital camera you must do a step by step picture thread of your install so that we can all learn from your successes! If no digital camera then take regular pics and have a friend scan them for you!! Cheap isn't it!

Good luck on your project.......you are really gonna love tinkering with you truck!

Rick

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
AHHHHHHHH!!!! NO MORE HW!!! i don't like hw... i get too much at school!!! :) hehehe... anyways i just got out of my spanish 3 final right now, so i figured i'd write you guys back... i really appreciate your guys' help... i would've never ever known to get that kinda stuff... i figured i'd add a little here and there and i'd be set, but noooooo i've gotta go get this and that and this and ohh yeah that... hahahahaha... but seriously i appreciate all the help, i guess i just gotta get my butt in gear and get out looking... yeah and i do appreciate that you guys are just giving me ideas and not telling me what to go out and get, just like tutoring my friends at school, i can't tell them everything, i just need to point them in the right direction... yeah i've got a digital camera, but i was just talking with my dad right now... and he's all so you wanna start working on the truck do ya... it was funny, sorry gotta be there kinda moment... anyways... i was thinking of gettin a new one like an x-treme, cuz i drove the ex-sinator/governor (or whatever he was) of California... i drove his x-treme around and well punched it to see what it could do (he wasn't in the car, he just wanted me to park it down the street from the house i was at) and i couldn't resist... and it actually grabbed pretty nicely... i figured a newer truck would be funner to tinker with, but what i don't understand... is that i've got a 89' 4.3l and it seems way faster than the newer 4.3l s-10s... am i'm just hallucinating is that true??? well anyways i've got a math analysis final to study for then i've got a 4 day weekend!!! WAHOOO!!! gotta love Martin Luther King day... then tuesday is an in service day for all the ROC kids at my school...
laterz!!!
i'll get to work... but if you guys wanna hint me at anything i'd greatly appreciate it ;) ... hehehe
bye bye now!!!
God Bless!!!
Croz

ohh and i found out what the RPO code is... (tell me if i'm wrong) but what i've gotten out of it... is basically the blueprint of the car but in code... like from the type of top it is, to what type of tranny you have... but how the heck do i find that out for my car??? all the sites i find have the little code but i have no clue how to tell where to get mine...

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Look in the glove box!

The is a sticker in the glove box that has the codes that you truck was built with. And I think that the code for a posi-traction(limited-slip) rear end is G80. Yep, now you can go impress all your friends by knowing what all those letters and numbers are on the sticker in their glove box!

Rick

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAHAHAHA yeah i'm gonna be all studly... yeah i know what a RPO code is what's up now!!! hahahaha ok now that i know what it is.... how is it going to be helpful for me... yeah i can punch all the little 3 digit numbers and stuff in... but exactly what do i need it for??? like i know it tells you what a certain thing is or whatever... but like what's like an "educated" example... cuz i'm drawin a blank right now...
thanks!!!
bye bye now!!!
God Bless
Crozbolicious

·
Registered
18 Posts
You have already answered your own question and you don't even know it.

RPO codes tell you what you have in your truck. It will also tell you what you don't have in your truck. Your code list will say that you don't have a Limited Slip rear end. If you go to a junkyard (auto recycler for those of you in Cali) that will let you actually go out and look though what they have, you can open the glove box to see what is in it. You will be able to see if the truck does have a limited slip rear end, which you are looking for. Sorry guys, but they do not have factory lockers. They are by definition, and by function, a Limited Slip. If an S10 did have a factory locker, I would have snagged one by now!

·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SWEET!!! awesome man... well i better jam out, bust out the ol glove box and check out my RPO codes... umm di dummm... well i found out that i'm gettin a 3/4 drop now so i'm excited!!! WAHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lalal anyways i better get to cleaning my room so my dad won't be mad at me... well thanks for all the help... and i'll keep you guys updated with my progress on my baby...
laterz!!!
God Bless
Croz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts