S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1990 S-10
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im pretty good with swapping engines and stuff like that and i was wondering what the best v8 swap would be for my truck that i got for free with a blown 4cyl im gonna drop the trans tomorrow as it is brand new so i really wanna do a v8 swap wanted to know what engine to use as in chevy 305/350 2/4 bolt mains what to use special headers special anything thanks alot guys i know you get this alot refer me to another post if you have to im really into doing this swap

·
Registered
205 Posts
2.8 engine mount shells on the crossmember, JTR motor mounts, Hedman or Sanderson shorty headers, Mid 80's Corvette radiator or the Be Cool or Similar ones work well. For an auto, there isn't much special to do. If you have AC it is recommended you cut an area out and box it in to clear the valve cover and make removal of the valve cover easier.

·
1990 S-10
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i dont have air conditioning so basicly get special headers and what type motor and mounts? and what transmission and such can stock driveshaft and rear be used or not id suspect not but you never know

·
1990 S-10
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would the 2.8 v8 mounts mount up to my stock 2.5? what do i need to do for crossbear for 700r4 tranny? ill prolly be getting a 305 2bolt mains will this work with a 700r4? thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 2.8 mounts are needed for the V8. All the adapters from www.jagsthatrun.com or www.advanceadapters.com do is move the mounting pount forward in the engine bay.

With a 700r4, you should be able to use the stock crossmember, it just needs to be moved back a hole or two. There are extra holes in the frame. Driveshaft should be OK too. With a TH350 it is a little short.

Mine was an 89 2.5 / 5 Speed. It is now a 4 bolt 350, with a TH350.

~Chad.

·
1990 S-10
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome i appreciate your help so what would i need to get this going 2.8 motor mounts? if so how would they bolt up

im thinking a 305 2 bolt main and a 700r4 out of a camaro? so this is just as easy as it was for me to take everything apart lol thanks man

·
Registered
24 Posts
jdimassi said:
awesome i appreciate your help so what would i need to get this going 2.8 motor mounts? if so how would they bolt up

im thinking a 305 2 bolt main and a 700r4 out of a camaro? so this is just as easy as it was for me to take everything apart lol thanks man
The 2.8 mounts are mounted on the frame. The adapters mount to them, and then the motor is mounted to the adapter. The holes on the adapters are usually slotted so you can move the motor an inch or so forward or backward depending on rad/fan choice.

It is rather simple, the only real mod I needed to do was to slot the holes where the steering column goes through the firewall and move it about an inch. Interestingly enough this straightens the steering wheel. Look at your steering wheel compared to your seat, or at a right angle to the truck. It is in crooked from the factory.

~Chad.

·
1990 S-10
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to buy list

so far this is what i got so far correct me if im wrong

1. chevy 305 2 bolt with a 700r4 auto tranny (from 85-89 camaro correct?)

2. corvette or becool rad

3. computer and what wiring will i need?

4. advance adapters motor mounts .. and 2.8 mounts unless the advance ones bolt up to my 2.5 ones

5. and everything else will go together right crossmember for trans, driveshaft shuold be ok ??

6. and that $30 book from jtr

am i missing anything

[email protected]
aol joedimassi

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: to buy list

jdimassi said:
so far this is what i got so far correct me if im wrong

1. chevy 305 2 bolt with a 700r4 auto tranny (from 85-89 camaro correct?)

You should look at something 87 and up. The pre-87 700r4's were weak.
2. corvette or becool rad

3. computer and what wiring will i need?
If you plan to use the complete TPI system, then you will need the computer and wiring harness from the Camaro.
Other than that I don't really know, didn't go that route.
4. advance adapters motor mounts .. and 2.8 mounts unless the advance ones bolt up to my 2.5 ones
You need the 2.8 ones. The 2.5 ones are quite a bit different.
5. and everything else will go together right crossmember for trans, driveshaft shuold be ok ??
Should be ok.
6. and that $30 book from jtr

am i missing anything

[email protected]
aol joedimassi
You will need some sort of fan, whether it is electric or not. The factory fan might not fit, and likely won't flow enough air.

You'll also need a shifter, unless you plan to use the one out of the Camaro.

~Chad.

·
1990 S-10
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
front end is off s10 engine and everything is out all thats left is the 2.5 wiring and mounts my problem is how do i get the stock mounts out and im prolly going the carburated 350 route so can i keep stock harness and everything ill be prolly doing a 350/auto combo was formerly a 5spd but engine blew and i yanked em both

i want to sell the 5 spd trans cheap make an offer doesnt matter im lookin to get $200 out of it but its negotiable and will take trades such as bucket seats or anything of that matteri need left side light switch assemly and dimmer and whole thing it goes to i have the woring bbut no switches or panel so i need that too

instant message me @ joedimassi on aol im

1 - 11 of 11 Posts