S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
I Rather Be Wheelin'
4,875 Posts
60MPH? I don't think my truck has ever gone that fast. Not even downhill with a 90MPH tailwind.

·
1982 SS10
34 Posts
i have had the v-8 in my daily truck..406 sbc,and shot of gas. WITHOUT the gas the truck ran [email protected] mph in the 1/8, and got about 8mpg;10 if i really,really tried. i now have a truck that gets great mpg. you may have to clock it with a calender but, i aint in no be hurry anymore!

·
1982 SS10
34 Posts
i have had the v-8 in my daily truck..406 sbc,and shot of gas. WITHOUT the gas the truck ran [email protected] mph in the 1/8, and got about 8mpg;10 if i really,really tried. i now have a truck that gets great mpg. you may have to clock it with a calender but, i aint in no big hurry anymore!
oops! i went to daleville high school,spelling wasnt required!:dunce:

·
Lazy newb
39 Posts
I can attest to the early carb'd 2.8 V6 suckiness. I had an 83 Jimmy back in high school with a fresh rebuild & it still ran horrible. What I mean by that is that she ran fine, but you could probably get on a 10 speed bike & go faster from a stand still. I think it topped out at about 60 mph downhill. Remember that this was a completely rebuilt engine on a truck that was only ~15 years old.

OTOH, my current 88 2.8 is bearable with nearly 180k miles, a clogged cat, & a monster oil leak. 75-80 mph is no problem & I would suspect 10 second 0-60 times if it was in good condition. Once I get the oil leak fixed & new exhaust installed, she should be a good DD.

Early vs late 2.8 = two different animals (even though both are weak).

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
Agreed, but it is mostly in the fuel delivery. The 86+ had larger valves, but not much else. Stick a 4bbl and a Edelbrock intake on it, and it performs a LOT better. Mileage doesn't really suffer either because the truck is breathing better (since engines really run on air, not gas which is just the catalyst). The difference was night and day on the old engine. I now have a crate 3.4 in my truck with the 4bbl. I couldn't imagine having the 2bbl stocker on there although many people state good results with it. They haven't driven my truck yet! :D

When I get a couple of bucks in my pocket I am going to go dyno it to see what power it really makes. BTW, does anybody have any idea what that typically costs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ummm, you guys have obviously never ridden in a 82-85 S-10 with a carbureted 2.8. About 110hp at best with the factory carburetor and mine was SHOT. All this with a truck that probably weighs closer to 4000lbs with my toolbox. Considering truck gearing...it ain't gonna be fast! I swear by all that is holy it was every bit that slow.

In a top condition truck? Regular cab, unloaded, one gallon of gasoline in the tank with an 88 lb Prince driving it......16-18 seconds might be possible, but highly, highly unlikely.

Now, if you are talking EFI trucks? That's a different story. They are much more capable and run far far stronger.
My s10 has a 2.8l v6 and runs amazing its not to big of deal but it gets 0-60 in about 18seconds not really trying its fuel injected though

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,357 Posts
11 year old thread...need I say more??

Reactions: ChrisInVT
41 - 48 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.