S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
SDimePimpin08
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my interior is completely stock as of now and i hate the color of the plastic its like bluish black depends on the lighting so i want to paint that what kind of sand paper do i need to use to sand it and what kind of paint is used also is there primer involved if so what kind do i use thanks

·
SDimePimpin08
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so thats it... no primer just sand it then paint it with the acrylic laquers let it dry and thats it?

·
Banned
9,778 Posts
theres a how to thread on here somewhere...

but the basic gist of it is:

sand the shit out of it with like 300 grit, then switch to like 600 grit.

krylon plastic primer, dry, wetsand with 600

krylon color, 5 coats. wetsand with 600 after the last coat

clear, 2 coats. wetsand with 1000

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you start with 300 to get rid of the texture you will be sanding for a month , start with 100 then 120 then 200 then 220 is what I did and it is as smooth as glass

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Get some sandpaper that says wet or dry on it and soak it in water and sand away adding water pretty constantly so not to burn the paint and do not stay in one area long at all

·
SDimePimpin08
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alrite so tell me if this will be good sand dash with 100 then 120 then 200 then 220 then primer it with krylon plastic primer, let it dry, dry sand it with 600 then wetsand it with 600, then apply 5 coats of krylon color, let it dry, wetsand it with 600? or something less rough? then apply 2 clear coats, once dry wet sand with 1200.... done?

·
SDimePimpin08
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also do i have to have a sprayer inorder to paint the dash or does the krylon primer/paint come in spray cans?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Well I did not use Krylon , I used Duplicolor , holds up much better . Use as many coats as you want , I used like 6 coats of base and 8 coats of clear ...

·
SDimePimpin08
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
95project what exact method did you use? and can i get dupicolor at any auto shop such as autozone murrays auto.... and so on?

·
F1NG3R5UMG1RL5!
7,344 Posts
sweeeeet. im about to do it this weekend! ha.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I started with like 100 grit and sanded till smooth , then i used 120 to get it a little smoother , then 200 for even smoother and then 220 to get ready for primer . Clean with soap and water . Spray primer on and look for bad spots and sand them out , then primer again , let dry and if it is real smooth go ahead and spray a coat of base , if not real smooth wet sand with like 1200 grit and then spray base . Let dry between coats until you get the desired amount of coats on there , no less than 3 or 4 coats of base . If looks kind rough wetsand with 1200 or higher and be real gentle not to mess it up . Then when that is done go on spray the clear coat on there , no less than 2 coats , i used 8 coats myself. Any other ?'s feel free to ask

·
SDimePimpin08
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think that about cleared it all up thanks a lot tho man... i know i probably got annoying with all my questions i just want to make sure i do it rite

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
greenflameS10 said:
theres a how to thread on here somewhere...

but the basic gist of it is:

sand the shit out of it with like 300 grit, then switch to like 600 grit.

krylon plastic primer, dry, wetsand with 600

krylon color, 5 coats. wetsand with 600 after the last coat

clear, 2 coats. wetsand with 1000
What are you trying to do, give the kid nerve damage in his wrist from all the sanding?

Start with 120-160 (your choice)

Then step up in increments to 180, 220, 320, 400

Then start using filler primer and wetsand inbetween each coat with 400. Keep repeating this process until its baby smooth.

Then paint and clear coat.

If you want to cut costs down, you can use an adhesion promotor and Duplicolor paints and clear coats from Walmart. I've always stayed away from Krylon crap. Anyway, due to the size of some parts, rattle can will work fine. But its always best to use a gun. If you have the resource.

Let me give you a couple tips though, Interior look like shit when you paint only a couple parts. If you do it, go all the way and hit everything plastic. Makes a much more uniform look and people get the idea that you put thought into your project rather than grabbing a spray can and shooting it like the guys from "Unique Whips". That show pisses me off.

If you decide to start with rattle can and then opt to use a gun, paint shops can laser match your paint used and mix up a quart size batch for ya. Also, be sure ALL THE texture is sanded or prime filled out before paint. Nothing worse that shitty surface prep to make a paint job look like shit. With painting anything, surface prep is #1 almost over the paint itself.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts