S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so after i posted a thread asking if my trans (from a 2.8) would hold up against a 4.3 motor swap i am now thinking of holding off on the motorswap untill i have my "new" 4.3 worked up to syclone standards---the thing is, is that my truck has 184,xxx on it with its 2nd motor and ORIGINAL trans and needless to say the gears are gettin a bit worn--- sooo my new question is--is there a trans out there that is manual and equvilant to the 700r/4 trans--- i really like the power the syclone produces but not a huge fan of auto transmissions---is there a trans out there that is manual and will hold up to the est.400hp of the motor for the build-- keep in mind i am looking to make the truck AWD as well--- i know im askin a lot but any help is appreciated--- sorry for all the readin guys:) :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well the T56 is an obvious good choice. TKO 5 speeds are VERY strong and will handle your truck no sweat.

The NV3500 will hold up but you are right at its upper limits and lets face it the thing does not bang through the gears as smooth as a T56, T5 or TKO 5Speed.

You wont find a TKO in any vehicle on the raod you will have to buy it from someone who deals it Tremec transmissions. BUT the thing will handle 600LBS of torque and can utilize 6 shifter locations.

A T5 WC box will need to be beefed up but the advantage with that is it has a 4WD extension housing avalible that can be bolted to an AWD case.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
but you couldent use the tko or the t56 with the awd could you??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK---soo what im gettin out of this is that the tko trans would be the best to use if i was gonna stay 2wd---but since i'm looking for an AWD setup then the next best thing would be to get the world class t5 tranny---right???---but what would i need to do to make the w/c trans hold up aganist the high hp and tourque that it is going to recognize---also what will i need besides the transfer case and front end components to make this work---

thanx for the help so far betterthanyou and a pre-thank you to anyone else who throws in their .02

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well I never said that thre are no housings avalible for an AWD setup.

Check out advanced adaptors and a few other places before you ditch the T56 and TKO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts