S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of buying a trailer, nothing large, just big enough to fit my riding lawn mower. What should I keep in mind when considering a hitch? I know they have different classs rating hitches for larger full size trucks. Are all s10 hitch the same size? At the moment I have a stock rear bumper and I don't anticiapte installing a roll pan anytime soon.

When I check my local Craiglist listing, there are several S10 Reese hitch. Some list the year, while others just say S10. And the prices vary on Craiglist.

·
Registered
927 Posts
does your bumper have a hole below the license plate ? if it does put a hitch ball on good for 2,000 lbs more than enough for what your gonna do

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
I bought a class IV hitch recently from a local place to tow my 6X10 trailer. It was about $ 340.00 with tax and reciever. It is a bolt on unit. Btw I have a rollpan (full rollpan :rolleyes: as they said this was hard to find one for..) can take pics if you want.

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Also the lighting.. I bought a plug and play unit for wiring.. not a splice unit like everyone wants to sell. You literally plug in and forget. I have a 99 but I will post up the part # for that one.. maybe you can find that one.. don't do those splice deals. BAD BAD BAD.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Also the lighting.. I bought a plug and play unit for wiring.. not a splice unit like everyone wants to sell. You literally plug in and forget. I have a 99 but I will post up the part # for that one.. maybe you can find that one.. don't do those splice deals. BAD BAD BAD.
I concur that is the only way to go

·
Registered Hoosier
4,795 Posts
Check your owner's manual. IIRC, a bumper hitch will handle about 2,000 #gross weight, 200 # tongue weight [class 2] I bought a very nice class4 for my Jimmy from CL for $40. It even had all mounting bolts.
Also agree with the plug and go wiring if your truck is not prewired.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a class IV hitch recently from a local place to tow my 6X10 trailer. It was about $ 340.00 with tax and reciever. It is a bolt on unit. Btw I have a rollpan (full rollpan :rolleyes: as they said this was hard to find one for..) can take pics if you want.

Some how I missed your reply, yes I would like some detail pics. Thanks

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
cool. I will get it up later today.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I bought a class 3/4 for my '94 blazer(1st gen) and it was less then $150 shipped to me from rockauto. It's a CurtMFG. was real easy to bolt on. I have another one for a 1st gen too that I'd like to get rid of. but its just that lil 1 1/4" not 2"

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a class 4 for mine. Don't go with the bumper and ball. You need to know at what point your trailer is level and buy a hitch according to that level.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recently bought a class 3 off a wrecked S10 in the junkyard. bolted right up no problem, though a bit rusty. This is the one that comes out under the stock bumper on my 2002. By the time I paid $50 for the reciever, $20 for a hitch and ball, and another $10 for hardware and wiring I'm all set for 500lb tongue weight and I think 3000 lb trailer weight.

My ZQ8 seems to be saggin in the rear end now. I'm thinking about adding some coil-overs with light springs in addition to the OEM leaf springs.

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
better make a thread about that!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Recently bought a class 3 off a wrecked S10 in the junkyard. bolted right up no problem, though a bit rusty. This is the one that comes out under the stock bumper on my 2002. By the time I paid $50 for the reciever, $20 for a hitch and ball, and another $10 for hardware and wiring I'm all set for 500lb tongue weight and I think 3000 lb trailer weight.

My ZQ8 seems to be saggin in the rear end now. I'm thinking about adding some coil-overs with light springs in addition to the OEM leaf springs.
I was actually thinking of doing the same thing, going the salvage yard route. There a quite a few hitches on S10s and Blazers in the salvage yards. In order to give me more options, does anyone know if the hitch from a Blazer will not fit a S10? I'm thinking they should since they share the same frame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
better make a thread about that!
Planning on it. Was just searching through the forums to make sure my questions were not already answered. Greencactus' build thread is long and long.

Not sure if the blazer hitch will fit an S10. I would just look strictly on S10s unless you strike out alot and can't find a dime hitch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you say a plug and play not a splice...what does that mean?? i have a 2002 s10 base 2.2 5 spd and i want a hitch and the only thing i am worried about is the wiring. i saw on utube what i think is a splise where he unplugged something ad pludded somthing into those ends and had a third for the trailer, i dont see any loose wires to plug and play....

·
Registered
56 Posts
A truck hitch will definitely not fit onto a blazer because they had to design the hitch differently to accommodate for the gas tank being back there. However, if you were trying to put a blazer hitch on a truck I am not sure if it would work, it is possible I guess unless someone can clarify with a definite answer.

As far as towing with a bumper, under no circumstances would anyone with any real towing experience reccommend this. GM should be shot for even claiming that the bumper can be used to tow with. Like was mentioned, you can't get the right ride height for the trailer. A hitch is the only way to go. So you don't really have to worry about tongue weight I would suggest get the class 3/4 hitch. Prices difference between them and a class 2 hitch are negligible or even non-existant depending on shopping around.

As far as the comments about the plug and play trailer harness connector. Hopkins and several other companies make them. You end up disconnecting the tail light connector on the frame rail (for the trucks) and then plug this harness between the connection you separated. Then I believe there is a ground wire off the harness you install that you need to bolt to the frame.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
With stock truck (low bumper) small to medium single axle trailer tow height is not much problem. It is more problem with high bumper and double axle (or more) trailer which should run level so distribute load to all axles. Can also get bolt on drop or receiver tubes for step bumper.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
A truck hitch will definitely not fit onto a blazer because they had to design the hitch differently to accommodate for the gas tank being back there. However, if you were trying to put a blazer hitch on a truck I am not sure if it would work, it is possible I guess unless someone can clarify with a definite answer.

As far as towing with a bumper, under no circumstances would anyone with any real towing experience reccommend this. GM should be shot for even claiming that the bumper can be used to tow with. Like was mentioned, you can't get the right ride height for the trailer. A hitch is the only way to go. So you don't really have to worry about tongue weight I would suggest get the class 3/4 hitch. Prices difference between them and a class 2 hitch are negligible or even non-existant depending on shopping around.

As far as the comments about the plug and play trailer harness connector. Hopkins and several other companies make them. You end up disconnecting the tail light connector on the frame rail (for the trucks) and then plug this harness between the connection you separated. Then I believe there is a ground wire off the harness you install that you need to bolt to the frame.
For years thats what people did before reciever hitches, was tow on a bumper. I know my family has hauled many a cars just on the bumper hitch. I've hauled stuff on a bumper hitch on my old '83 and never had a problem. When I build a bumper for my blazer it will be a pickup bumper style and I will have a ball on there. But I also have a reciever hitch now on there. Now these new plastic with a lil bit of tin behind them are just jokes for towing but not many people will tow enough to get themselves in trouble. I know UHaul wouldn't let me tow with a bumper hitch and thats were people will go to rent a trailer.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts