S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I need a little help with deciding what to get next spring. For Xmass I am already getting the superships micro max tuner, and ss billet inserts.

For sping it's either going to be a goodmark gen 1 cowl induction hood, plus paint.

or

should I go with a centerforce clutch, and gears. I have some questions about these things though, what centerforce clutch should I get, stage 1, 2, or the duel centerforce clutch? Not sure which one I should get, b/c I don't want to hurt the tranny, the stage 1, is like 30% more grip the stage 2 is 60% more grip and the duel is 90%, plus I need the disc, pressure plate, ans throwout bearing.

I am most likely going with the 3:42 gears, b/c i don't want to loose too much top end, or maybe 3:73, not

I need some info for the cheapest place to get these things, what part numbers , and info like that. Help me make up my mind, what clutch, what gears?

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Yer asking for a lot of info. How bout calling Bill at Mach Performance
and ask what he or his shop would recommend. I think a clutch
and 3.72 gears would be sweet. The hood doesn't make it go any
faster. With gears it would wake it up off the line. Summit has
the best prices. Maybe look at the RAM line of clutches as most
parts you can replace without having to buy a whole new assy.

www.machperformance.com
www.summitracing.com

·
2ManyS10's
2,013 Posts
Ur on the right tract...
What u gonna be doing with the truck...Just drivin...Drag Racing...If ur racing get the Daul if its just a cruzer get the stage 2...
My self i get the daul friction and some 3.73's truck would move out and also have some loss traction if u race u might wana get ur self some Nitto/BFG Drag Radials...It probly lay second on street tires if u power shift it...:)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only race it once and awhile, put I want to make sure the centerforce clutch is not too much on the tranny, so your syaing get the centerforce stage two. Do I need to get anyting else or just the clutch/ I need to know what I need to buy for the install? or do I need a new pressure plate, etc.

I have 3:08's now , and I want to improve my my low end,put I do not want to kill my top end, I like like having the pull power on the hghway, should I go 3:42 or 3.73? and do I need to get anything else with the ring and pinion?

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
694 Posts
Both gears are good choices & of course the 3.7s will be quicker, but depending on your tire height & how much hi-way miles u do the only diff. will be gas mileage. the higher rpm from the 3.7s won't hurt the motor. & in either case re-cal the speedo.

In either case a BIG point,---- posi. !!!

·
Truk Por
214 Posts
gears

if ur wanting speed and not worried about fuel go wit 4.11 you can get a rearend for about 250.00 from most wrecking yards most 4cyl s-10's have 4.11's

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
how bout you save it! I blow every dollar i have on my truck all year long. And i put my tax return in a roth IRA every year. At least i save SOMETHING.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
If its going to be a big return, do pullies and full roller rockers as well.

Clutch is good but is your old one shot? Its a lot of $$ or time if you do it yourself just to get the old out and new one in.

If its a huge return, go TURBO :thumbup:

Locking diff like he said should definitely be considered.... or just weld yours together-- can be tricky if youre in the snowbelt though!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my return is never huge, I am just looking to lower my 1/4 mile times a little, and the clutch should also help with that, so I can put more power to the ground with better grap and less slipping. I would like 3:73's but will it really hurt my mpg, and will it kill my top end? If so then will go with the 3:42. rear

·
zippy
733 Posts
most 4 cylinders have 4.10', not 4.11's. gears from a 4 cylinder wouldn't fit since they didn't come with an 8.6 and there'd be no reason to swap to a smaller housing. the clutch is a tough choice with as many as there are out there, but keep in mind of a good shifter also. if you drive it daily i wouldn't go any deeper than the 3.42 since the manual doesn't have alot of overdrive to it. if performance is more of a concern, i'd just go right to a 4.10. personally although i like the hood, i'd go with the gear and a shifter and leave the clutch alone at this point until it's slipping badly or going out. if you buy a gear, don't forget about programming.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
for a 4.3L, 4.10 gears are REALLY steep. especially on the interstate.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i already have a b&m shortshifter, the gm micro max tuner is coming for Xmass, so I have that covered. I think I will stick with the 3:42, from what you guys are telling me, I do commute to school everyday and work, so I don't want to lose to much mpg. I think i will go with richmond gears, I heard they are good. All I will need is the ring and pinion correct? And I think I will go with the centerforce clutch, stage 2, but what else do I need? My girlfriends dad is a mechanic and knows his stuff, so install will not be a problem. I just need to pick up al the parts and he has all the tools.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
superchips makes a gm micro max tuner, it's a programmer like the hpp111 programers, it's supposed to be better though. 10% hp increase 13% torque increase, raises speedlimiter, compensates for tire size, and gear changes. Can read diognostic trouble code. It increases performance every 200 rpm, instead of other programmers which only work at wide open throttle , www.truckperformance.com has them, along with other places, the cheapest I found one for is $369 at bassproshops , If you can find it cheaper let me know

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
ok, I have heard of the superchips programer, but when you said
gm micro tuner, I thought maybe GM came out with something cool for a change....lol

Thanks for the info on it though, I have a HPP3, and it was like
$300, I guess I should have shopped the market first, it sounds like the superchips one is better....oh well..its only money

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no prob, and I found it for 361.00 with free shipping,

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
just fyi DO NOT change your clutch unless you kill the one you have!!! its not going to lower your et....it will probably raise it with the mods you have. Its a huge bitch to do and mine got really hard to get into gear after i installed it.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do you mean it will raise my e.t? How would it do that?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Yeah clutches won't raise your ET unless installed improperly or its completely incorrect for the application. In his case a stage II will do him just fine and yes you do need the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing, and either have the flywheel machined down or get a new flywheel as well (maybe a lightened one?) I know when I put the stage II on my old truck I could chirp third like it was nothing and it was definitely better feeling all around, and that was a 2.2!! I'd go with the gears (3.42 would be perfect IMO) and the clutch....and also get rid of the gov-lock.....since you're in their changing gears...change to a better posi.

Caleb

1 - 20 of 21 Posts