Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 1997 project 2 door blazer

Votes: 13 48.1%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I totalled my car last week and got an insurance check and want something. Problem is I am not exactly sure on what I want. I have three options right now and would like any input you guys have. I know this is an s10/blazer forum, but if possible try to keep an open mind to the other options.

1.) 1999 GMC Sierra, 5.3 auto, lowered, on 20" panther rims, custom paint, shaved tailgate handle, really nice, 155k miles. Only bad thing is its a rebuild, salvage title. $6000

2.) 1999 2 door Tahoe. Lifted 6", 33" tires on nice looking 18s, escalade front clip, 119k miles. $6000

3.) 1997 S10 blazer. 2 door, 2wd, black. Bone stock and looks pretty nice. Blown head gasket. $700.

I have $6000 to spend, if I buy the GMC or the tahoe thats all my money. I would just drive the tahoe the way it is and bag the GMC when I get the money, if ever. If I bought the blazer I would pull the 4.3 out and get a 96+ 350 and drop that in, mildly build it and bag it but I would have to buy a cheapy car to get me by until I had the blazer finished.

Like I said, I know this is a blazer forum but all 3 are/could be really nice so try and keep an open mind.

Oh, and I work at an automotive machine shop so I would just try to find a blown 350 out of a truck for the fuel injection setup and build an engine for the blazer. And I have never bagged anything, so if I did get the blazer you would see a ton of questions from me, but I learn quick!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, actually going to look at the sierra right now. It's really nice, just not sure on how bad it will screw me later if I try to sell it with the salvage title.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It will screw you ! Depends on what you want to do. I'd go with the blazer and a cheapy ride for the time being. But, that's just my .02

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Salvage title could potentially be an insurance nightmare. Check with your insurance company if they have issues insuring rebuilt vehicles. My parents had a Jeep Commanche pickup years ago and it was totalled by the manufacturer because a bolt pulled through the frame when they tied it down too tight on the car carrier. The frame was fixed and it was sold with a salvage title. They kept having insurance company issues when they'd find that the VIN had been scrapped and it had a state issued VIN/Title.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
salvage is not bad in my area, but i do live in alabama - but it really depends on what causes it to be salvaged. I have seen them total vehicles lately ofr just cosmetic damage. you ahve to understand there are thousands of thise trucks on the raod. the value on them is low. So it would not take much to total one of those trucks.

the tahoe to me is just a money pit. lifted means lots of frt ends parts, tires are expensive, bad gas mileage, etc.

i vote for the blazer. buy it fix it and sell it for a profit and than you will have more than 6k to find a newer vehicle.

·
Registered
220 Posts
:stupid: i would get the blazer fix it and built how you want you will have alot of money left its better to bay something no one has missed with b/c you could be baying someone elses problem. i no my spelling is bad but im drunk.

·
Wondersmith
4,469 Posts
tahoe if you just wanna get it and be done with it...
but i voted for the blazer, buying someone elses problem is never fun, salvage title is nuthin you wanna mess with, i owned a salvage title sunfire, and i got lucky when i sold it because the person that bought it didnt give a fcuk about that... blazer sounds like best bet to me but that tahoe is pretty sick lol

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I chose the 97 Blazer, simply due to the available funds...headgaskets are not hard and the availability of 4.3s at dismantlers run 300-600 that will leave you with plenty cash for other mods.

The truck looks like a good deal but i would be too concerned with the past happenings and have no cash afterwards should something go wrong..

As for the lifted i would never buy a used lifted vehicle unless i knew the previous owner again if something goes wrong all your available funds will be depleated..

Blazer wins by a landslide on this one!

·
Registered
10,370 Posts

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Gen210 is NOT THE ORIGINAL POSTER. operatorfailure is. Learn to read DUMBASS!

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I'm tired of morons that can't read or spell or follow a conversation.

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
I love how you turn it around and get mad at me because you're a moron. The way of the world anymore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts