S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Spoolin' Fool
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching and figured out what sizes I can go with. I have a 96 2dr 4x4 Blazer stock height for now but plan on a 2" body lift this weekend. I've seen that I can fit 31x10.5x15's on it at this height but not sure if thats how I want to go. I want the truck to have a wide stance to it. I don't care for the tall sidewall that fits inside the fenders. I'd like it to be even or maybe a little outside the fender wells. Now I know my rims aren't goin to help me much being stock 7" wides with a 4x4 offset but what would you guys recomend for tires to get a wider look rather that tall. I plan on doing mostly highway driving with some occasional off-road. (maybe more when I get the tires) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
mud terrians make a 31x10.5 tire look a hell of a lot wider than an all-terrain 31x10.5 one thing you might want to watch, some states have inspection laws that say the tire cannot stick out farther than the flare.

·
Spoolin' Fool
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
MuddyS10 said:
mud terrians make a 31x10.5 tire look a hell of a lot wider than an all-terrain 31x10.5 one thing you might want to watch, some states have inspection laws that say the tire cannot stick out farther than the flare.
Ahhhh.....ok, that makes sense then. I've noticed some all-terrain tires that are tall and kinda skinny so maybe I should look more towards strictly off road tires. I live in Ohio and they don't do vehicle inspections here so i'm ok in that dept. Well on the same note then, obviously 31x10.5's are gonna be wider and taller than the 30x 9.5's but what would look better? Too bad they don't make 30x 10.5's. I think that would be the way to go.

edit* after doin some more research I think i've decided on the BFG TA/KO's in 30x9.5x15. Does this sound logical for what i'm looking for? Do you think I would regret getting the 31x10.5's instead?

·
12,507 Posts
yeah, a few people have been talking about the 30x10.5's and how they wish they were made. off-road tires are great, but if you mainly drive on road, dont expect them to last too long. I have Remington Mud Brutes on my truck, and i dont expect them to last past next summer (i had them put on about may). the TA/KO's are great tires, a little overpriced, but good nonetheless. you wont really notice a wider tire (they actually look like the military-style skinnies on deuce-and-a-half's to me). as far as i know, a 2" BL would allow you to run 31x10.5's under there. there might be some running at full turn lock, but that size does give a vehicle a real off-road look. if you can, lift the blazer, then go to a tire shop and roll a 31x10.5 out, and see what it would look like. maybe they could mount it on one of your wheels, and you could play with it a little to see if it rubs, ect, and if you like it. what kind of off-road do you do (mudding, rockcrawling, rail-running, ect)?

·
Spoolin' Fool
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
MuddyS10 said:
yeah, a few people have been talking about the 30x10.5's and how they wish they were made. off-road tires are great, but if you mainly drive on road, dont expect them to last too long. I have Remington Mud Brutes on my truck, and i dont expect them to last past next summer (i had them put on about may). the TA/KO's are great tires, a little overpriced, but good nonetheless. you wont really notice a wider tire (they actually look like the military-style skinnies on deuce-and-a-half's to me). as far as i know, a 2" BL would allow you to run 31x10.5's under there. there might be some running at full turn lock, but that size does give a vehicle a real off-road look. if you can, lift the blazer, then go to a tire shop and roll a 31x10.5 out, and see what it would look like. maybe they could mount it on one of your wheels, and you could play with it a little to see if it rubs, ect, and if you like it. what kind of off-road do you do (mudding, rockcrawling, rail-running, ect)?
Well I haven't done any offroading in a few years because I haven't had a vehicle to do it in but I do alot of highway driving for work though and would like to be able to go offroading on the weekends. (I have a quad I take out alot too) I just don't want the skinny Jeep look like you stated. A buddy of mine has the BFG's 31x10.5 on his Jeep and I like it but its almost a little too tall of a tire in my opinion but I do like the width. I guess my best bet is to do like you said, and go to a tire shop and see what they all look like.

Now how do offroad tires compare to regular tires in sizes? Like could I look for a 265 or 275 in a 70 series with an off road tread? That maybe easier for me to understand since i'm kinda new to the offroading scene.

·
12,507 Posts
i think the 275 is comparable to the 31...but im not sure. All "real" off road tires (bigger size, aggressive tread) come in 31x10.5, 33's, ect ect, i kinda stay away from the other way of designating sizes. a tire like a 265 would be skinnier though, i think.

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
might as well attempt to hijack this thread : I plan on doing the same route, as sy guy, and lifting my blazer 2 inch bl and then get tires.. but how do I kow the backspacing, and for 31x 10.5's how far will teh stock out etc.. I'm so new to all this

·
Spoolin' Fool
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
93ex said:
might as well attempt to hijack this thread : I plan on doing the same route, as sy guy, and lifting my blazer 2 inch bl and then get tires.. but how do I kow the backspacing, and for 31x 10.5's how far will teh stock out etc.. I'm so new to all this
At least i'm not alone here :thumbup: Here is a couple of pics of 31x10.5x15 on a stock truck (at least he says so in his sig) http://www.s10forum.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album377&op=modload&name=Members_Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php This is what I am tryin to avoid. See how his back tires are set inward in the rear wheel wells. Thats because of the offset of the stock rear wheels. I would run into the same problem if I used this size tire. I was also thinking about using 1/4" spacers on the rear only to push them out slightly and give a more aggressive look. But again I go back to how tall that tire looks. Its fricken huge!! I'm just gonna go to a local tire company and ask to look at a few different tire sizes and try and see what would look best. I know a 2"BL will definaltely help out in my selection as it will give me more to choose from. And also is an inexpensive way to gain a couple inches without messing with any of the suspension.

·
12,507 Posts
and i do hate how the rear isnt as wide as the front. those dont look like 31x10.5's...look too small. but one problem you will have with bigger tires is rubbing when youre articulated - when the rear axle flexes.

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
my 31x10.50 tires rub on a bolt head in the inner front fender when flexed or hitting a hard bump...the only time it rubs in the rear is when the rear axle is flexed to the max...the inside of the tire stuffed up in the fender well rubs on the frame a little bit.

·
Picture goes here \/
673 Posts
well this is florida, we dont have much in the way of hills or anyhitng to flex on per say, it smoslty just woods trails and mud ;)

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
If you want a really wide and aggressive looking tire you can get Super Swamper TSL's ( www.intercotire.com ) in a 30x11.50. These aren't great daily driving tires, but you seem to be concerned more with looks than anything. Life is probably 10,000 miles or so, and I wouldn't recommend them for driving on snow packed roads. Kid I work with put some on his Blazer. They are on 15x8 wheels with 4 inches of backspacing, so they stick out like a damn skateboard. They fit stock but rubber the front fender a little when cycling the suspension, now with a 3" body lift they touch nothing. Not what I would have done for a full out bush beater (what he uses it for), but to each his own. He built the Blazer to compete with the Toyota, I love whooping his ass....

Sorry, this is the only pick I have. The tires stick out about 3" past the body....

·
White Shark
63 Posts
Sy-guy

The only place me tires rub are on the inside frame rail turnned to one side all the way and when I hit a bump really hard the front tires hit the fender well. I do not have a lift on mine (yet). I do wish the backs did sit out farther a little more but other then that I am happy with them. :thumbup:

Eddie

·
Spoolin' Fool
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I had my buddy come over yesterday with his Jeep again so I can get a good look at his tires and i've made up my mind. I'm getting the BFG TA/KO's 31x10.5x15 They do actually look really good on his truck, i just never really got a good look at it before. I'm in the process of doing my body lift at the moment so that should be done today. Then i'll get the tires soon. (as soon as I get money that is:D )

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Sy-guy said:
I'm getting the BFG TA/KO's 31x10.5x15
:thumbup: Excellent all around tire, REALLY good on snowy roads. I had a set of 32 x 11.50's on my old truck, my dad is running 31 x 10.50's on his Jeep now. We both love em. As I got more and more into off-roading though I came to find out that those tires seriously suck compared to mudders, especially super agressive tires like Swampers. But for something used 95% of the time on the road they are great. I doubt they are going to stick out much at all with stock wheels though, they do have a nice flat tread face, but a 10.50 just isn't that wide. My old man decided to go with 1.25" wheel spacers to get some width after lifting it (wanted more stability). Now his stick out nice. Too bad I only have 2 pics of his Jeep with them on it. One is a side view, the other is head on but with the tires under water. All well.

·
Hot Pork Racing
10 Posts
if you want a real aggressive mud tire check these out they are the only way 2 go more traction than swampers and boggers and why taller than 44"s. But i guess they might not fit on your blazer.

·
Spoolin' Fool
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
adam728 said:
:thumbup: Excellent all around tire, REALLY good on snowy roads. I had a set of 32 x 11.50's on my old truck, my dad is running 31 x 10.50's on his Jeep now. We both love em. As I got more and more into off-roading though I came to find out that those tires seriously suck compared to mudders, especially super agressive tires like Swampers. But for something used 95% of the time on the road they are great. I doubt they are going to stick out much at all with stock wheels though, they do have a nice flat tread face, but a 10.50 just isn't that wide. My old man decided to go with 1.25" wheel spacers to get some width after lifting it (wanted more stability). Now his stick out nice. Too bad I only have 2 pics of his Jeep with them on it. One is a side view, the other is head on but with the tires under water. All well.
Got my 2" BL done today:thumbup: Now I really need to get the tires on. I have an extra set of ZR-2 wheels in the garage for the new meats and also a set of Bushwacker OE Style fender flares. Should get the look i'm after when all is said and done. BTW, I used the spacers in the rear also. It definately helped the look alot!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 71 Posts