S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Ok well i had 2 10" MTX 8000s. Well i blew one up this past weekend and thinking i had them not matched to my amp so i need your help. My amp is a sony xplod XM-2252HX....it puts out 225x2 rms. I am looking at Crutchfield and notcied the following subs all on sale. I have included the specs and would like opinions on which one to go with...if any. If you do not like the subs listed what would you guys use? I am planning on this setup lasting me a long time. Another thing, they are going in a regular cab s-10 (1990).

Kicker XPL X10c-4
polymineral cone
foam surround
frequency response 25-500 Hz
power range 75-350 watts RMS
peak power handling 700 watts
sensitivity 88.5 dB SPL
top-mount depth 4-13/16"
sealed box volume 0.8-1.2 cubic feet

Polk Audio GNX104
poly-mica woofer cone
MOMO-designed steel basket
2" voice coil
power range: 50-175 watts RMS each
peak power: 400 watts
frequency response: 18-400 Hz
sensitivity: 93 dB
top mount depth: 4-13/16"
sealed box volume: 0.66 cu. ft.

Sony XS-L1036
high-rigidity compound polypropylene cone
Santoprene rubber surround
frequency response 25-2,800 Hz
power range 40-250 watts RMS
peak power handling 700 watts
sensitivity 88 dB
top-mount depth 4-15/16"
recommended sealed box volume 0.7 cu. ft.

Sony XS-L1046
aluminum cone
Santoprene rubber surround
4-layer voice coil
frequency response 25-2,800 Hz
power range 40-350 watts RMS
peak power handling 900 watts
sensitivity 88 dB
top-mount depth 4-15/16"
recommended sealed box volume 0.7 cu. ft.

Thanks, Scott

·
Half Deaf at 140dB
108 Posts
Go with the kickers, they will give a much better sound and are under rated power wise. You gotta remember, in 2001 the XPLs were the next step down from the Solo-baric L7. they are nice subs. You wont be sorry if those 4 are your only choices.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,
those four are not my only choices just happen to find those on sale.

what would u recommend and what do they cost each?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Half Deaf at 140dB
108 Posts
since you have a reg cab, 10's would be the biggest you would want to go. The kicker L7's sound good in the smaller boxes. I've heard a dude with a JLw3 8" in his reg cab x and it sounded pretty good.

Kicker L7 or L5
JLw3
Rockford Punch or Power HX2
Infinity Kappa Perfect
Orion, clarion, and the list goes on, it just depends on what you want to spend and how you want it to sound, but the L7's are my personal choice. You can get them on ebay for ~170-200$ each and maybe lower. Just shop around and get what you want, and stay way from off brand ****.

Brian.

·
can i video tape you?
2,360 Posts
yonkers!!!kickers will blow also! i went throw 2 sets in a year, of the solo's, they suck in my opinion and experience but they are a good sub for the price until they blow.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah... I needed 8's because of the room needed (6'4"), and I'm happy w/ my 3 JL 8w6's. I had 2 8w0's, but I ended up blowing those, so upgraded.

DogP

·
SIC-Founder & WA Ch. Head
1,687 Posts
ok...well, for the money, I'd go with either a set of kicker CompVR's or Image Dynamics IDQ's. The CompVR's have the same basic motor structure as the L-7, and can hang with 3-400w rms, close to 1000 peak (short burps) and have great sq. IDQ is a great sub, reletively cheap, more SQ than you could imagine and get plenty loud off of 300 watts. Also, Sound Domain Is running the phatty sale on IDQ's right now...they just got a shipment of factory refurbs. They're the V1's, but at 79.99 per 12" sub, you can't beat that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
JL Audio is a good choice. i have 2 10" w3's behind my seat in a regular cab and they hit around 145 db, they sound great

·
BLAZIN SADDLE
1,394 Posts
Subs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 02 BLAZER and was able to try many speakers and hear/see what they can do the amp that I ran them on was a JL 250/1 MONO BASS AMP class D. This AMP had all the subs trying to jump out of there boxes and go back to there factories 10's that is. BUT the JL SUBS are some hard hiters. JL IS THE WAY TO GO!!!!! PAY THE MONEY.

I have one 10"W3 JL in a bandpass box and it has people going:wtf:

02 white blazer X

1-Leather seats and top door panels
2-GPS alarm
3-Billet Bowtie
4-255/45/18 Pirelli Zero's on HALO rims
5-Boston Acoustics speakers in doors/dash
6-Pioneer 6x9's in the back seat area
7-K&N drop in air filter (for now)
8-FlowMaster 40series with 2 1/4 pipe out the back
The pipe out the back may change?
9-2/3 DROP with Belltech Spindles and Blocks
10-Poweraid Spacer
11-Removed MAF Screen
12-JL amp and one 10” JL subwoofer

·
Registered
35 Posts
clean n low:

what size box? ported? how much power were you giving them? can't blame the subs for a bad install or incorrect settings on the amp

·
Registered
35 Posts
btw, if you like kicker then the xpl's or comp vr's would be a good choice with the amount of power you have to give them

·
Registered
35 Posts
clean n low:
what size box? how much power were you giving them? ported or sealed? 99% of the time the install has more to do with a sub blowing than a defective product. whether it's the box or settings on the amp

1 - 20 of 20 Posts