S-10 Forum banner

What size drill & tap do I need..

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  AVTekk 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to tap my street tee for the gauge line. I need 1/8" npt..thanx

#8 ·
question, when you're tapping, what kinda setup do you need? seems like a normal drill would be hard as hell to keep straight up and down so it doesnt angle the threads and shit.. so would you need a drill press? or whatever they're called...

#9 ·
A drill press to tap it? Or to drill it? You gotta drill a hole first obviously, and you want the hole to be as square as possible, so if your drill press is decent, set it up on that. I dont have a drill press so I do it with ye ole Milwakee! That thing will break your arms off, its great..

Anyway after you drill the hole, start tappin, but you dont wanna just run the tap into it, you gotta get it started, then turn it clockwise 1/4 turn, counterclockwise 1/2. This will cut nice and even threads and keep the cutting edge clean. Use LOTS of oil, and make sure the tap is square also..

#10 ·
AVTekk said:
A drill press to tap it? Or to drill it? You gotta drill a hole first obviously, and you want the hole to be as square as possible, so if your drill press is decent, set it up on that. I dont have a drill press so I do it with ye ole Milwakee! That thing will break your arms off, its great..

Anyway after you drill the hole, start tappin, but you dont wanna just run the tap into it, you gotta get it started, then turn it clockwise 1/4 turn, counterclockwise 1/2. This will cut nice and even threads and keep the cutting edge clean. Use LOTS of oil, and make sure the tap is square also..

See there thats why I asked..I knew someone did it & knows how to. Sheeze..

#13 ·
AVTekk said:

I use a drill press, and I put the 1/8" pipe tap right in the drill chuck, and run it right in :D Takes me about 3 minutes to do 4 tee's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.