S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wandering what size alternator i should upgrade to because i have 2 amps for my stereo and they are drawing alot of power-------also just out of curiosity what size is the stock alt......... any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
745 Posts
major amperage

I'm not the expert on this but I would look into how many amps those amplifiers pull when you are cranking them up.I have a powermaster 120amp altenator in my truck and a huge 95 ampere exide xxl battery.never had any problems starting my v-8 after playin music for 2hrs.My hiphonics zeus 700 amp pulls over 50 amps when its crankin.Any way the best thing is to use 2 batteries and make sure your altenator wire is big enough to carry the extra juice to charge the batteries.Check out summitracing.com for pricing.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
stock s10 alt is 70 to 80. I got a delco 100 or 120... cant remember that far back :D after i blew my stock one. I suggest getting a 90 or so and getting a cap for the amp. that should help a lot.

Im at a steady 14.5 volts now running about 2500 watts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Kalgor said:
stock s10 alt is 70 to 80. I got a delco 100 or 120... cant remember that far back :D after i blew my stock one. I suggest getting a 90 or so and getting a cap for the amp. that should help a lot.

Im at a steady 14.5 volts now running about 2500 watts

why do you suggest such a small alt? a bigger alt will create the power while a cap will just temporarily store power. the alt is the most important part of the system as it is the heart of your electrical system

also, how is it that you are running a 120 amp alt with 2500 watts and manage to keep 14.5 volts? what does it drop to when you actually turn the system on? don't mean to sound rude or nothing but i got a 130 amp alt with 1400 watts (1200 watts class d) with a cap and i still get a slight voltage drop at high volumes (w/accessories off)

·
The Tool All The Pro's Use!!
303 Posts
I'm not trying to start anything but don't they come w/ 100amp alternators? Or is that 98+ models? On top of that almost any vehicle you buy only has an about 20-40amp free for aftermarket upgrades so if you're pushing a bigger system you should have a much better alternator, or someone is bs'in about the system you got. I'm not trying to be rude either but I have to agree w/ LMG's responce.

·
/=||=/
589 Posts
i blew my stock alt. got a 100 or 120 i think. also running optima deep cell battery.

normal usage i see no fluxuation. after a deep bass cd for a while, i see a little drop.

what guage wiring running off your battery too? i got like 2 guage stingray to a distribution block feeding my amps.

also my amps cold be choking man, dunno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts