S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What other internals do I need before I can run a 100 shot? I want to have this done by the end of summer so I need to get started. What 'lil done so far is in the sig.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well I didn't see what internals you already have, but I know of people running a 100 shot on stock internals. 100+ is a little risky unless properly tuned, though. IMO if you plan on ripping apart the block get as much done as possible. balance, blueprint, forged pistons/rods, forged crank(if your rich), etc.

If your planning on running 100 or less I would put more money into boltons and tuning. Make sure you have a pressure regulated bottle heater and all the other goodies that make sure you have just the right amount of fuel/air/n20

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
So with all the goodies what can someone expect to spend? Seems like everytime I see a kit there is other stuff thats needed. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
yeah i would recommend port/ polish, and forged internal kit from someone like performance automotive warehouse or sumthing like that

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
y2kblkxtreme said:
yeah i would recommend port/ polish, and forged internal kit from someone like performance automotive warehouse or sumthing like that
do the make an intire kit that i could buy?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well to get a port/polish you have to have it done at a machine shop. It will cost at least 300, for a good job about 600+. There isn't much to a "kit" for internals. Just buy forged pistons/rods for a SBC. Obviously the crank insn't the same though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You should be safe just talk to up after you ge the kit. Rhino got his kit for a good price you can ask him were he got his

·
Yeah, still on the bottle
201 Posts
The right way for doing a 100 shot is not port and polish the heads, thats only for more hp. You want to be safe without blowing up your engine. A 100shot is the biggest you can go with on a stock 4.3L V6. In order to run that you better upgrade your ignition. MSD 6A or 6AL ignition box, spark plugs that are two heat ranges cooler, retard timing by 2 degrees and add an inline fuel pump to keep things safe. Also get a Fuel/Ratio gauge to watch whats going on to make sure your not running to lean when ya juicin'.. Again things to remember when adding nitrous, when theirs nitrous, u better have more fuel, and more spark. If I was you, I would play with 75shot until you get all those goodies I named, 100shot is pushing it... If ya have the money to burn, upgrade pistons to forged, and drop in a nitrous cam shaft for better effiency... With that setup you should be rockin with no problem...

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
So if I ran a 75 shot and didnt use it all the time (I hardly ever go WFO) The life of my engine for the most part would not be shortened to any degree? Still get 150,000 miles out of it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you take care of your motor it will take care of you. I have about 110,xxx on my motor and about 90,xxx have been balls to the walls some how i get my self in a race almost everyday and i run the bottle a few times a week. I change the oil every 3000 miles or sooner ( cant use synt because of the bottle) and nothing ynder 93 for the gas and I dont have any complaints al thought i have gone throught some trannys.

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mac, makes sense to me... So as long as I have an FMU, Bottle heater and ignition which can retard timing I guess I'm pretty safe? :)

·
Yeah, still on the bottle
201 Posts
mac4.3s10 said:

synthetic is not set up for the heat nitrous makes and could break down
I only run synthetic in my ride.. I'm running a 150shot..And no problems for over 2yrs now. If thats the case, tell the big boys with the drag cars don't run synthetic... I'm sure they know something more than us. :eek:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i ran a 125 shot for a while and was fine. only thing i had was cam, head work thats it.

[email protected] on that set up

i ran one run of 175 and second run it leaned out and blew up. i ran a 125 shot almost every weekend at the street races.

right now i have another 4.3 getting built with a few mods lol

tony

·
Registered
30 Posts
I didnt say you couldnt. I have donr it before and so have my friends the people at Nirous say you souldnt do it. Thants all I am saying I personaly would reather be safe than sorry.

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
i see 2 misconceptions that nobody pointed out to u. u said u wont be running ur truck wfo...i guess thats wide open throttle u mean. well...u have to be at wide open throttle to use nitrous.

also...u mentioned an FMU. thats for turbos and superchargers, not nitrous. u need a fuel pump for a 100 shot...not a Fuel Management Unit

1 - 18 of 18 Posts