S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the best oil to use.I use to use Castrrol10w-30 GTX conventional in all my cars.
What will be the best in my 2000 s10 2.2.Is 10w 30 ok.Is synthetic blend ok.Want to know what weight and kind works for you guys.
Thanks in advance.Also what filter works the best.

·
Been there Done it
15,260 Posts
The best brand to use is the one you trust. It's all a matter of faith. I won't use any Pennsylvania oil like Quacker State or Pensoil. Back in the day, they were good at leaving mounds of gum in the engine, especially under the valve covers. I'm sure today they aren't even using PA oil.
As far as the blends go, If you want a blend why not mix it yourself. 2 of this and 3 of that. For all you know the blend for sale premixed is 2% synthetic to make if profitable. The driving force behind all corporations.
Actually there are almost no true synthetics. They are dinosaur oil refined to "Synthetic standards".
A quote from blog.amsoil.com
Many falsely think synthetic base oils are not refined from crude oil and that switching to only synthetic lubricants could drastically reduce our dependence on foreign oil and non-renewable sources. If synthetic base oils aren’t made from crude oil, from what raw material are they made? Unicorn horns and rainbow dust?

Synthetic base oils are made from crude. But they’re much more highly refined than conventional base oils.
During WWII Germany was making synthetic fuel for their aircraft from coal. It can be done. But you wouldn't be able to afford it.

·
Registered
91 base=driver, 94 mid engine=build
224 Posts
I buy wix filters off rock auto usually several at once when buying other stuff.

I buy Valvoline high mileage oil off amazon with free shipping when buying other stuff.

Change every 3 months or 3000 miles. Once a year on rides that sit. Use the grade the thing asks for.

$20-$25 every 3000miles is cheap insurance to prevent expensive issues.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can't justify the cost of Wix filters (although bulk via RockAuto is the way to go if your going to use them)...especially when changing every 2,500 miles...AC Delco seem to work fine

Also, I switched to Walmart SuperTech oil years ago (Warren Oil Co) and it's be smoothsailing at a fraction of the cost. In fact, after being a "brand name guy" for decades, I've been using all the Supertech stuff -- brake fluid, radiator juice, diff gear oil, engine oil, chainsaw lube, 2 stroke oil, etc and so forth.

Super Tech Motor Oil review after almost 200,000 miles

·
Been there Done it
15,260 Posts
I buy wix filters off rock auto usually several at once when buying other stuff.

I buy Valvoline high mileage oil off amazon with free shipping when buying other stuff.

Change every 3 months or 3000 miles. Once a year on rides that sit. Use the grade the thing asks for.

$20-$25 every 3000miles is cheap insurance to prevent expensive issues.
Only 0.00833333333 U.S. dollars per mile

As for the video, if it's on You tube it's gotta be true. I'm sure the research was done by a highly qualified and acclaimed group of experts who are out standing in the field.

Jeans Sky Plant Plant community Cloud

·
Registered Hoosier
4,892 Posts
I have decided to use Conventional,but it's hard to find.suppose to use 5w-30,is 10w-30 alright?
I have run 10W30 in the summer months, and 5W30 in the winter, but really didn't see a difference in the two as far as oil pressure. I just run 5W30 rear round. Ac-Delco filters or CarQuest. Synthetic blend in the S10, High mileage conventional or synthetic in the Colorado

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have run 10W30 in the summer months, and 5W30 in the winter, but really didn't see a difference in the two as far as oil pressure. I just run 5W30 rear round. Ac-Delco filters or CarQuest. Synthetic blend in the S10, High mileage conventional or synthetic in the Colorado
Can't find Conventional oil.That's what I want to use.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have noticed it has become rare to find conventional oil on the shelf. Why would you go out of your way to use standard conventional vs. a synthetic blend? I have only heard of synthetic oil causing issues on really old classic cars. If it says 5w-30 on the dipstick, get a 5w-30 synthetic blend. If you go to wal-mart you should be able to find a jug of supertech brand 5w-30 high mileage synthetic blend and it will be the lowest cost option.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I run QuakerState All Mileage which is a synthetic blend, it is good oil. My 2002 Toyota has been running QuakerState it's whole life oil changes every 3,000 miles documented on a known sludge monster engine the 1MZ-FE and my engine does not have sludge.

Conventional is being phased out so all you can easily buy now is synthetic blends.

I have been running AC Delco oil filters on my Chevy and Toyota oil filters on my Toyota however I have seen videos recently of the AC Delco filters seams being uneven and I have decided next oil change I will be switching to WIX or Purolator.

·
Randy
959 Posts
Some food for thought.
By 2020 most oil companies were eliminating 100% conventional motor oil. Here is a link to Valvoline Conventional daily Protection motor oil. They have been advertising this as a "synthetic blend" for about 4 years now.
All weather oil is rated at 0w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40. The "W" is for the all weather formula. The # to the left is the COLD viscosity, meaning it flow rate under 100 degrees F. The # to the right of the "W" is the HOT viscosity, 200 degrees F. the oil additive's are used create this change in viscosity & detergent's to clean it. The bigger the range, the more additives are required.
This is what my oil rep explained to me in a seminar
Some time before 2010 crude oil refining was 100% purchased from the global oil markets and we are transitioning to 100% full synthetic. Yes our oil pumped out of Texas ends up in multiple 40-50K gallon tanks and gets mixed with oil from let's say Canada, Russia, Ukraine & China. Pennzoil makes most of it's synthetic motor oil from Natural gas!! I'm told that we will never get to a full 100%, because they need a minimum 5% conventional base stock to make synthetic. There is also new information that we have been lied to by the Rockefeller's our entire life & that crude oil is actually a renewable resource. Rockefeller bought and paid scientists back in the early day's of crude oil to say it was from "fossils and rare" to make more $$$.

So as Advance auto parts discontinues the 10w-40, 10w30 oil. I have been picking it up for $3-4 a 5qt. container, $.75-.95 per qt. I still have 10-5qt jugs and several qts left.
I run 10-40 in everything I own, but the newest thing I own is a 2004 Trailblazer. My daughter came to me with a code for her 2007 trailblazer 4.2L and the VVT solenoid fault. I changed the oil and added 1 bottle of Rislone and let her go. At 1500k miles I changed it again. by 3000 miles her code was gone.
The only issue I see in running something a little different. Would be if your newer car/truck has a viscosity indicator and sets a code.
Now I'm not saying that that you should put 10w-40 in a car/truck that requires an 0w20, but look at your owners manual. I bet it has at least 2 different recommendations depending on the ambient temperature. When an engine wears and bearing clearance gets wider a thicker oil will give better oil pressure.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts