S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering how far away us 2.2l guys actually are from a stock 4.3l.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
won't have to have quite as much horsepower as a 4.3 b/c the 2.2 weighs less. i'm not sure how much you'd need though.

Brad:boom:

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Depends on what you are talking about. A regular cab 2.2 with a 5 speed vs a TBI extended cab 4x4 automatic 4.3? That won't take much for mods. An extended cab automatic 2.2 vs an SS will take lots of mods.

The 4.3's greatest drawback isn't it's weight, it is the crappy gearing they come with from the factory.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
With out going forced induction, you will need atleast the following if not more. From a few dyno sheets it appears that a moderately stock 4.3L lays down about 150HP to the ground, so it might not take that much since you are a little lighter, but pretty colse to it.

Header
Ported and polished head
Cam
Intake
TB
Cat back
Efan

Possibly higher compression, ect.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
I don't think you can do it as a trying to match hp thing, because with the gearing advantage you don't need the same hp. Getting a truck with 4.10 gears to keep up with 150 hp with 3.08's may only take 120 hp at the ground. Which could be done with probably just:
Header
Intake
TB
Cat Back
Efan

Now, throw some 3.73's or 4.10's in a 4.3 truck and you will have to work the 2.2 a lot more to hold pace with it.

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
Not to piss in your guys' cornflakes, but.........the fastest "official" time my truck put down was 16.28 at S-series Nationals, the best 2.2 Time I saw was 18.2 (and he beat me in the bracket race finals..props MikeSki for consistency) There were other NA 4.3's turning mid 15's in the sweltering heat as well. Anytime I lined up with a 2.2, even with a sh*tty launch, I always had him by the 1/8th. If I hooked good, I never saw him after that. 2 Seconds is a LOT to make up in the 1/4.

Realize guys, my first truck was a 2.2, and I had a Volant, TB Spacer, Exhaust. I know what its like. I've been on both sides, and the 4.3 side is a very tough one to beat.

Bolt-ons will do almost nothing (Otto has a dyno pull showing 99 RWHP). Stock for a 4.3 is around 145-150. You're looking at making up around ~50hp at the wheel. Don't forget about torque! You're about 100ft/lbs shy there and the only way make that up is Forced Induction or Nitrous.

Gearing is NOT the equalizer. Gearing is used to match up your powerband, not makeup for a HP defecit. 4.3's have a lower powerband, so their gearing is higher (I had 3.42's, good compromise in low end/top end). The NV-3500 has a super low first gear, lower then your NV-1500's. Thats also why the 5-speed 4.3 has 3.08's. 3:73's would work for drag racing only. Going much lower with stock trannies, the 4.3's will run out of breath and peak out too soon.

Soooooooooo, unless you bump the compression to about 10:1 and spin it up to 8500 RPMS(thats what honda does), you're going to be hard pressed to get an NA 2.2 to run with a stock 4.3. The only way it can run like a 4.3 is to breath like a 4.3, and that means moving an extra 2.1L worth of oxygen/fuel through the cylinders. Best bet...Turbo!

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
<---- could not have said it better myself/ agree more!

Caleb

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that defanatly dampens my spirits but i want to get a I5 colorado soon......220hp should be a little faster than the 120 i have now. :)

·
choppin on twankies!
656 Posts
j_rod i couldnt disagree with u more..i have raced 3 or more 4.3 auto x-cad xtremes around town 2 of them on the interstate from a 50 punch..and they havent pulled on me at all...as in like dead even and the 3rd i raced from a dead stop and i pulled a car on him..i wouldnt really throw a 2.2l under the bus like that...yeah the 4.3 has alot more potential but some of us have to work with what we got and ill admit that my truck is no hot rod but i have surprised some people...im not tryin to start a argument but just stating my .02

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yup, I don't think there's an economically feesable or practical way for a N/A 2.2 to equal a 4.3. I've owned both as well, and have to agree with J_rod.

Think57, if you're REALLY getting a Colorado, don't even waste your time or $$ on the 2.2

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
XTREMEon20s said:
j_rod i couldnt disagree with u more..i have raced 3 or more 4.3 auto x-cad xtremes around town 2 of them on the interstate from a 50 punch..and they havent pulled on me at all...as in like dead even and the 3rd i raced from a dead stop and i pulled a car on him..i wouldnt really throw a 2.2l under the bus like that...yeah the 4.3 has alot more potential but some of us have to work with what we got and ill admit that my truck is no hot rod but i have surprised some people...im not tryin to start a argument but just stating my .02
I dunno man. I just don't see a non-turbo 2.2 coming anywhere close to consistently beating a 4.3. Maybe a std cab 5 spd with all the mods could maybe take out a 4x4 but thats bout it.

Now granted, my truck isn't stock, but I generally just shit all over 2.2s, modded or whatever. Only been beaten by one 4.3, and it was sprayin. I've driven a few stock 2.2s, and....I just don't see it happening.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Oh God, please don't waste your money on a colorado....those things are ass ugly.....and I'd definitely give that inline 5 a few years before buying it, they always have issues the first year or two of production when they bring in new vehicles.

Caleb

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Oh ya, and there was only a couple 4.3's I could take on, but I still ended up losing......but I was at like the end of their cabs......

samdogMX walks right the **** all over me, and so does any other "stl-sog" members 4.3's.....the only ones I could almost beat were high mileage ones in need of tune-ups

Caleb

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
summerowlf have you looked at the sport package colorados??? they arent bad.

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
XTREMEon20s said:
Now, I don't doubt that you have beaten a 4.3 on the street...anything can happen on the street and driver error is a big factor. Not to be condecending, but dude, you are an AWESOME driver to put a length on a 4.3 from a dead stop, and that guy is better off driving a civic! :D Hell, I've beaten a 5.9 Ram, Eclipse GT and a 3000GT(NA) on the street...made them feel salty as hell for talking smack. I know how fun that feeling is!:smoke:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
53 Posts
Those inline 5's shouldn't be too bad. they really are not that diffrent from the I6 in the trailblazer. They basically took a hacksaw to the I6 and cut off a cylinder.

Ok well maybe not that easy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i read an article about the I5 colorado and the automatic ran a 15.9 1/4. the manual ran low 15's. thats almost a second faster than a stock 4.3L. i was pretty impressed when i was behind the wheel of one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts