S-10 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Old Fart
I always liked small pickup trucks and SUVs like the s-trucks, Tacomas, Dakotas, etc. My last 4 vehicles were all in that vein. So, I've been a transmission mechanic for 20 years and never built a hot rod because I was too busy being a musician with my free time and $. When I started a family and didn't have much time to be out playing all night anymore, I hung up the music and decided I wanted to get into the hot rod thing. I've built hundreds of them for everyone else. Race trucks, monster trucks, a ton of drag cars, resto-mods... if you can think of it, I've built a gear train for it. So naturally, I wanted to hot rod a small truck. The S10 was a perfect choice! There are countless Chevy engines and gear train components to be had, after all. I traded a junk car off to a salvage yard for a 97 S10 extended cab with a locked up trans and a blown motor. Then I built a 4L60E in trade to take anything i wanted from a wrecked 03 suburban. I LS swapped this truck with an NV3500 and a ford 8.8, tuned it, and was driving it in 60 days. It's my daily driver and it is an absolute joy to drive! A perfect hot rod vehicle. S10s can be difficult sometimes, but when you get it right they're things of beauty. I love them!
Cool and another transmission guy to help with answers to problems. 馃槈

Have you posted pics of your truck yet?

Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
Cool and another transmission guy to help with answers to problems. 馃槈

Have you posted pics of your truck yet?
I haven't posted pics... mostly because it's ugly AF. It looks like a beat up little work truck, and essentially it is. It's even registered to my shop (so I got to write off the whole project ;)). But it sure picks up parts fast! I'll get around to it soon, tho. I used this forum to build like 80% of this truck so I've been trying to pay it forward answering questions (mostly gear train and electrical related) for everyone.

Old Fart
I haven't posted pics... mostly because it's ugly AF. It looks like a beat up little work truck, and essentially it is. It's even registered to my shop (so I got to write off the whole project ;)). But it sure picks up parts fast! I'll get around to it soon, tho. I used this forum to build like 80% of this truck so I've been trying to pay it forward answering questions (mostly gear train and electrical related) for everyone.
There is a saying here, pics or it didn't happen. 馃ぃ

Old Fart
That truck looks pretty good for its age and being a shop truck. 馃槈

Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
Yup. It's WAY better than I was expecting from that description. (y)
It's nice from afar, but far from nice. The clear coat is shot and I don't think there is a piece on it that doesn't have a dent. Lol! And a freaking deer ran right into the passenger side door about 2 weeks ago and I had to pull the door panel and bang it out just so the door would open and close again. Mechanically, it's tip top, tho. I guess that's what really matters!

Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
Truck water pump and alternator. I made the alternator bracket for the high-right position. I modified the truck belt tensioner to flip upside down and put a smooth pulley on it. Truck power steering pump with the ford pulley on it to clear the steering box and I made some bosses to mount the original ac compressor where the truck alternator used to be. I added an idler pulley between the power steering and new ac location to get the belt off of the bolt head there and used a 101" belt. 2000 model ac lines and dryer were a perfect fit. I wanted to use the 4.3 stuff so bad, but the bolt pattern to the head was completely different from a 5.3.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts