S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
I asked this question about about 16 years ago when I was on s10v8. It had me wondering how many of you really enjoy S - trucks?

Since I was a kid I loved hot rods, first car was a V8 Vega. Always had racing and general hot rodding on my mind. My first truck was a 1972 1500 with a duplicate Ls6 454, TH400 this truck was bad (in 1987) it ran 11.90s with traction issues. At that point big attention was focused on fast trucks so that is what I did.
I got my first s10 in 1990, The drivetrain was from a wrecked 1988 corvette that is when I began to really make things happen with s10s and other trucks. Easy to modify accepts virtually ANY drivetrain and always great body lines.

·
Registered
1985 s10 4x4
40 Posts
I just picked up my first one. Ive always been a big fan of the first gen s10s, and 80s GM styling in general. Life and work over the years has kept me away from projects and recreational vehicles. But getting older, a bit more secure in my business, a later in life baby that came along, I was interested in picking up a hobby.

Motorcycles are my first love, and I do try to ride and and take camping trips off the bike when I can, but my son who's now 3 1/2 got me thinking about things I can be doing closer to home. Throw in some covid-19, and then some good timing right when I had some money burning a hole in my pocket.....

I've been looking on and off for a couple of years for the right project. And when my '85 appeared, I was able to justify it that I've been needing a pickup truck again and wanted something else to run around in that wasn't my tool laden work van.

Its funny, the last 2 places I've lived, I'd semi regularly see a 1st gen single cab, short box 4x4. Even when I had my old Datsun 720 4x4, those 2 trucks always had me looking. I can't put my finger on it, but I dig simplicity, utilitarian, no frills, no flair, just a little truck that does what it's designed to do without needing to be pretty. It's a total bonus all the options out there when it comes time to replace the 2.8.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Dad had two of them. I was not able to purchase the one that he had when he passed away a few years back. I found an identically optioned truck last year and bought it. I'm very happy with it and have been slowly improving on it where money and time allow. There are plentiful parts and it is very easy to work on.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I really enjoy working with my hands and had gotten bored. After a bunch of research (my actual favorite hobby) I ended up on a first gen S10. An 80's GM was old enough that you didn't need to be an electrical engineer to work on it, and new enough that parts would be abundant.

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
Like the one that started this thread I have always been a hot rodder and also owned a Vega with the original LT1 in it in 1972 when the car was only 1 year old.

I have no need for a full-size pickup and the "Midsize" trucks are as big as a full size was in the 60s. I had a 620 Datsun King Cab project but it needed a lot of paint and bodywork that I can no longer do and I didn't have the money to pay someone to do it along with my other projects so I decided to go another direction. I did my research and after finding that the 4.3 S10s had a good reputation for reliability and the much better parts availability both for repairs and modifications I decided an S10 was the way to go.

When the Xtreme was new I almost bought one from my local dealer but after deciding I wanted one and ready to buy I went and was looking at the 3 or 4 they had on the lot for over 1/2 hour and the salesmen ignoring me I decided they didn't want my money since usually, they come out like vultures when you walk on the lot just to buy parts. I always liked the look of the Xtreme so when I decided on an S10 I had to have one and since everyone here thinks they have to have a 4X4 to get around in winter all the ones here have disappeared so I searched nationwide and finally found a low mileage 03 in Missoula Montana of all places and flew out to buy it and drove it home. It turned out to be a rust-free California truck that migrated to Washington where the Missoula dealer bought it at the Spokane auction. While it wasn't perfect it was a good solid truck to start with and after 2 1/2 years, it is slowly becoming the almost perfect (I wanted either Blue or Yellow) truck for me.

My only real complaint is the turning radius, my Datto could make a U-turn on a residential street and the Xtreme needs 40 acres to turn around. 🤣

·
Registered
1984 S-10 pickup, short box, short cab, 2WD, zero options. 2.8L 4 SP manual(orig) 350 swap June 2020
23 Posts
Divorce got me motivated.

Purchased my p/u fall 2017, drove it about 500 miles and parked it for the winter. Wife transferred all of my money from my account to hers (around $329k). Called the cops and said I threatened her so she could get me arrested and kicked out of the house with a restraining order in Feb 2018 a day after I finished remodeling the kitchen, then move her boyfriend in. I was allowed to take a bag of clothes and my motorhome and 1992 GMC stepside. My S-10 and my Chevelle have been at my house for 2+ years just sitting along with everything else I own. Last week I see a flatbed pull up in front of where I've been living in the motorhome the past 2+ years with a grey S-10 on the back. I say to myself, wow that looks just like my truck. Sure enough, it is my truck, soon to be Ex-wife got tired of seeing it and paid the towing company $100 to load it up and bring it to me. Because I saw her parked down the road, I told them don't unload it until I get the sheriffs here because I have a feeling she is up to something shady. Sheriffs show up, I explain she has a BS restraining order and I think she will say I violated it and came to the house and took the truck. Long story short, they went down the street and confronted her then came back and said since it's in my name and it's on record she is having it moved to me there's nothing to worry about. Next day I found a 300HP 350 and have been hard at work removing the stale 2.8L with hopes of dropping in the SB over this weekend. Divorce still isn't finalized, but she hated the truck from the day I brought it home, and has no idea what I'm doing so I have no fears that she will want to take it from me. I've been taking lots of pictures and will post them once I can get the wheels to spin (hopefully this weekend, fingers crossed). Now if I can get the money sucking lawyer to wrap this up I can get everything else I own, most of my money back, and hopefully my house, but I'm expecting another 6 months if I'm lucky.

On a positive note though, when the sheriffs were here I asked them if I could hire a flatbed to go and grab my Chevelle since it's licensed, registered, and insured in my name, they said sure, just contact the police first and arrange a time to have it done and stay far away with witnesses so that she can't try to say I violated the order and went there myself to take it back. I guess there is still a little bit of justice left in this country after all. The Chevelle is sweet, but I'm really looking forward to roasting some tires on the S-10 right now, having fun doing the swap so far.

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts

Purchased my p/u fall 2017, drove it about 500 miles and parked it for the winter. Wife transferred all of my money from my account to hers (around $329k). Called the cops and said I threatened her so she could get me arrested and kicked out of the house with a restraining order in Feb 2018 a day after I finished remodeling the kitchen, then move her boyfriend in. I was allowed to take a bag of clothes and my motorhome and 1992 GMC stepside. My S-10 and my Chevelle have been at my house for 2+ years just sitting along with everything else I own. Last week I see a flatbed pull up in front of where I've been living in the motorhome the past 2+ years with a grey S-10 on the back. I say to myself, wow that looks just like my truck. Sure enough, it is my truck, soon to be Ex-wife got tired of seeing it and paid the towing company $100 to load it up and bring it to me. Because I saw her parked down the road, I told them don't unload it until I get the sheriffs here because I have a feeling she is up to something shady. Sheriffs show up, I explain she has a BS restraining order and I think she will say I violated it and came to the house and took the truck. Long story short, they went down the street and confronted her then came back and said since it's in my name and it's on record she is having it moved to me there's nothing to worry about. Next day I found a 300HP 350 and have been hard at work removing the stale 2.8L with hopes of dropping in the SB over this weekend. Divorce still isn't finalized, but she hated the truck from the day I brought it home, and has no idea what I'm doing so I have no fears that she will want to take it from me. I've been taking lots of pictures and will post them once I can get the wheels to spin (hopefully this weekend, fingers crossed). Now if I can get the money sucking lawyer to wrap this up I can get everything else I own, most of my money back, and hopefully my house, but I'm expecting another 6 months if I'm lucky.

On a positive note though, when the sheriffs were here I asked them if I could hire a flatbed to go and grab my Chevelle since it's licensed, registered, and insured in my name, they said sure, just contact the police first and arrange a time to have it done and stay far away with witnesses so that she can't try to say I violated the order and went there myself to take it back. I guess there is still a little bit of justice left in this country after all. The Chevelle is sweet, but I'm really looking forward to roasting some tires on the S-10 right now, having fun doing the swap so far.
Sounds like you married a real she-devil! How about some pictures of the Chevelle in the "Off-Topic Forum"?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a K5 Blazer with a good drivetrain (D60/14-bolt, SM465, NP205) but a completely beat body. I wanted something a little smaller that my drivetrain components would easily go into.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
One of my cousins had a 1st gen and a 2nd gen. I had a '93 my senior year in high school. My uncle built a V8 1st gen 4x4 put on a K5 blazer frame. I have always just liked them better than the ranger or dakota. Now, I would have a lot more money in my pocket if I didn't have one... that is for sure.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like you married a real she-devil! How about some pictures of the Chevelle in the "Off-Topic Forum"?
Post pics here if you like hotrods/streetrods/pro touring/pro street

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
Searched for that thread but no luck?

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts

Wild story. I have one myself with a crazy ex that tried to kill me. Twice. Good times. Glad to be out of that, and I know so will you! Sorry you've had such a rough time.

On topic. For me? When I was a kid, my uncle had this LWB 82 S-10. Work truck white, dog dish hubcaps, no air, am jam...devoid of any real options. I remember seeing it for the first time. I had to have been 13 or so. Even though it was nothing special, I remember how much I liked the lines of it. Just a good looking truck. I liked how the doors flowed into the roofline...and it looked really modern. I know how stupid that sounds now...but.... It had the little anemic 1.9 Isuzu in it. 4 speed transmission. SLOWWWWW. He subsequently wrecked the shit out of it in the front, and it went into storage. The insurance company paid and let him keep it. He repaired the truck himself, and somehow managed to get a tag for a truck with a salvage title...to this day, I have no idea how he accomplished that. Drove it like that for YEARS...I went to work with him when i was 14 and we used it to work. At 15 he was teaching me how to drive on his 70 Chevy, and this 4 speed truck. Eventually the motor gave out, and he put a 305 from a Nova in it. There were no kits in 1989. This was all done by trial and error. We built the mounts and modified stuff to make it work. It was fast! But it was also a deathtrap! Talk about some terrible traction and handling. He used it for year for work and fun. Eventually it died and he parked it... Far as I know, it's sitting in a field to this day... My first one was a 91. Black. It was one year old in 92 with 13k miles. It was beautiful. Tahoe, rally wheels, and optioned nicely. 2.8L V6. The first car I had ever owned that wasn't crap. I traded it for a 95 x-cab in 96, trying to impress a girl...ironically the one that tried to kill me years later, but it didn't work and she was off screwing some other guy...but alas, I had that one for a while. I bought it nearly new and my work delivering was destroying my 95 quickly. So I got this 84 S-10 x cab I bought from a friend. 2.8 was blown up and the front clip was laying in the floor in front of it. It had been repainted when the engine had blown up. I put an autozone engine in it and drove it delivering pizza for the next 12 years except when it was parked it in 2007-2008 when the freeze plugs rusted out in it and I was in school and too broke and too time limited to fix it. I still have that 84 today. It's an old dash truck like my uncle's 82. Really a better looking design if you ask me. Certainly better built than the later one too. It reminds me of those times and learning to drive a stick on that truck (although mine is an automatic).

I also bought an extended cab 2001 in 02 and drove it for 8 years almost trouble free. 4.3/5spd. Damn thing would pull a house down. Big truck in a little truck body. Very little to complain about. A very good truck. I also had an 86 Jimmy with a 2.8 that ran well with the 4spd. Major beater. My now ex-wife had a 2000 Blazer that was a fantastic truck too. Finally I had a 2000 4wd Blazer that I drove for 4 years for my band equipment gigs. I sold that to my stepson, and he drove it 5 years and just recently sold it.

Today the 84 has a 3.4L V6 in it that I converted to fuel injection in 2013. It has a 4.3 TBI and injectors on it. It runs like a small V8. Really needs to be painted, but it's well kept and runs good! All this S-10 craziness was because of that one old 82 LWB work truck....

·
Registered
1984 S-10 pickup, short box, short cab, 2WD, zero options. 2.8L 4 SP manual(orig) 350 swap June 2020
23 Posts
A few pics of the Chevelle

·
Old Fart
3,710 Posts
A few pics of the Chevelle

Where???

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet Chevelle

·
Registered
1997 S10 5.3L
61 Posts
I always liked small pickup trucks and SUVs like the s-trucks, Tacomas, dakotas, etc. My last 4 vehicles were all in that vein. So, I've been a transmission mechanic for 20 years and never built a hot rod because i was too busy being a musician with my free time and $. When I started a family and didn't have much time to be out playing all night anymore, I hung up the music and decided I wanted to get into the hot rod thing. I've built hundreds of them for everyone else. Race trucks, monster trucks, a ton of drag cars, resto-mods... if you can think of it, I've built a gear train for it. So naturally, I wanted to hot rod a small truck. The S10 was a perfect choice! There are countless Chevy engines and gear train components to be had, after all. I traded a junk car off to a salvage yard for a 97 S10 extended cab with a locked up trans and a blown motor. Then I built a 4L60E in trade to take anything i wanted from a wrecked 03 suburban. I LS swapped this truck with a NV3500 and a ford 8.8, tuned it, and was driving it in 60 days. It's my daily driver and it is an absolute joy to drive! A perfect hot rod vehicle. S10s can be difficult sometimes, but when you get it right they're things of beauty. I love them!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts