S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
02 Sonoma ext cab 4.3 zq8
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought and built this to have something to tinker with. In the back of my mind I thought this would be a great ride for my grandson. I built the truck to run and yes I went way overboard building it. I have been driving it regularly and it runs with Dallas traffic. Today I thought I would give him the truck. He and my son came over with some other people. My grandson wanted to trade the truck for a Hyundai Velaster. The guy was all for the trade. I almost lost my mind trade a Sonoma for a F*** Hyundai. I told them in a lot of other words wasn’t going to happen. I know this is a rant and I may have overreacted. My granddaughter has asked me to save it for her more than once she just turned 14. I will park it in storage before I would trade for A Hyundai or Kia.

· time to get cereal
7,397 Posts
This is why you don't gift high dollar items to family members unless you are prepared for those kind of consequences. Most kids do not want to be driving around in a 20 year old vehicle. That thing looks a little too nice to let some kid tear up anyway.

· Registered
02 Sonoma ext cab 4.3 zq8
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all of your comments and advice. My wife and son are going to buy my grandson some kind of car this weekend. I told my granddaughter that if she would learn to do the basic maintenance and keep it clean I will save it for her. To my surprise she called and wants me to teach her how to drive and work on the truck. She is coming to stay for a couple of weeks. I am going to see how it goes. I just may have someone that will appreciate the truck.

· B4U Task Force Admin
34,481 Posts
Nice looking truck, to bad your grandson doesn't know a good thing when he see's it.
Be thankful you have such a smart Grand Daughter. Save it for her.
Tell your grandson to buy his own piece of Rice Burner Trash.
BTW Rice Burner is not a racist term, it is considered pejorative. Expressing contempt or disapproval but doesn't refer to race. Or in other words if it offends you get over it or Іди на хуй. Pronounced "ih-DEE nah HOOey". That phrase is Ukranian and was quoted all over the world when the Defenders of Snake Island told the Russians onboard the Vasily Bykov to do it.
Just have to push the limit don't you.

· Registered
595 Posts
I bought and built this to have something to tinker with. In the back of my mind I thought this would be a great ride for my grandson. I built the truck to run and yes I went way overboard building it. I have been driving it regularly and it runs with Dallas traffic. Today I thought I would give him the truck. He and my son came over with some other people. My grandson wanted to trade the truck for a Hyundai Velaster. The guy was all for the trade. I almost lost my mind trade a Sonoma for a F*** Hyundai. I told them in a lot of other words wasn’t going to happen. I know this is a rant and I may have overreacted. My granddaughter has asked me to save it for her more than once she just turned 14. I will park it in storage before I would trade for A Hyundai or Kia.
Wow . Texas rust free stepside, Who wouldn't want that? Apparently not G-son. Not on the same page @ all, What ive noticed, last few decades, nu folks don't see these vehicles as The Escape Machines , as boomers and their parants did. They're more enticed by the shiney beads and trinkets that sparkle up from their near permanently attached handheld devices and the status symbols they promote. .This hypnotic singularity focus reminds story of natives selling Manhattan for mesmerizing [but valueless] shiny stuff.

· Registered
3,816 Posts
My grandson wanted to trade the truck for a Hyundai Velaster.
Looking at the velaster's i wouldve traded in a heartbeat.. the only good thing your s10 has going for it, is sentimental, and that step side bed, other than that, its an s10.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

· Registered
791 Posts
if the kid knows mom/dad will buy him something he wants, why settle for what he doesnt exactly want?

theres a lot of arguments that could be made against the truck:
one could argue that the color is off-putting.
one could argue that it is too dated... its probably the only vehicle the kid has ever ridden in that has crank windows for instance.
one could argue its too small, not enough power, not good enough gas mileage, not enough room in cabin... the list goes on.

my 2 cent: you shouldnt be too upset about him not wanting it, but you are correct to be livid about him even considering trading it for a hyundai haha
i suppose if the hyundai has 300hp/turbo from the factory it could be considered, but a search tells me 'veloster' has 150-200hp

ps. i bet the kid would have thought differently if it had the xtreme body kit on it...

· B4U Task Force Admin
34,481 Posts
Once you give something to someone, it's no longer yours. What they choose to do with it is their business. At least the grandson was up front about it. Not sure why all the hate and criticism.

· time to get cereal
7,397 Posts
Nice looking truck, to bad your grandson doesn't know a good thing when he see's it.
Be thankful you have such a smart Grand Daughter. Save it for her.
Tell your grandson to buy his own piece of Rice Burner Trash.
BTW Rice Burner is not a racist term, it is considered pejorative. Expressing contempt or disapproval but doesn't refer to race. Or in other words if it offends you get over it or Іди на хуй. Pronounced "ih-DEE nah HOOey". That phrase is Ukranian and was quoted all over the world when the Defenders of Snake Island told the Russians onboard the Vasily Bykov to do it.
Probably should have just left that out if explaining why it isn't racist took longer than the part of the post that added value here... Oh, wait. There's nothing here that adds any value.

Like, why is grand son spelled like so and Grand Daughter differently? Did you have another stroke?

· Registered
604 Posts
I was going to post some self righteous comment about how the first car I purchased was my deceased grandpa's old rusted 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera from my Dad and how much I loved that car. Then I remembered how I had turned down my other grandpa's pristine several year old mid '90s Geo Metro with 30k miles on it. He had just retired and my grandparents offered it to me for $3500. Granted it was a Metro, but 50 mpg would have served me much better and would have lasted longer than the worn out Iron Duke that got me barely 20 mpg. I ended up sinking close to $3,000 into the Olds and it still died 2 years later.

Sometimes what you want for your kids or grandkids just isn't what they want and there isn't anything you can do about it. He is young and doesn't have the same life experiences you have and he doesn't see the big picture. Sometimes they have to learn the hard way. And maybe an old truck really isn't for him and a newer car would serve him better. It hurts, but to hold a grudge doesn't help anything, especially over an old economy compact truck, ZQ8 suspension, stepside, and beautiful yellow aside. I, and most others on here can appreciate the time, effort, and money you have put into that low mileage truck and it sounds like your granddaughter does too. Enjoy that she appreciates what you have and wants to spend the time and effort to learn with you. But try to not hold it against your grandson.

· Registered
791 Posts
Probably should have just left that out if explaining why it isn't racist took longer than the part of the post that added value here... Oh, wait. There's nothing here that adds any value.

Like, why is grand son spelled like so and Grand Daughter differently? Did you have another stroke?
i dunno the back story here if there is one ... but that last line looks like an unnecessary cheapshot on deer slayer, pig.
rice isnt a race.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts