S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '91 A code 2.5L S10 I'm working on fixing up. It was reading around 60psi on the interstate but waving a little. Coming back from Christmas it started to peg out at 80psi. I replaced the sender and now it will only get up to 40psi when cold and runs around 25-30 at idle. Is this normal? What is everyone else getting for oil pressure?

Derek

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes that is very normal assuming you have clean oil. You may do a little better as the oil gets dirty. When I bought my 91 2.5 new it developed 30 psi at idle and 35 to 40 at 2000 rpm

·
potholes SUCK!!!
173 Posts
mine buries an 80 psi gauge at idle. makes me wonder if i should replace the sending unit. or maybe try another gauge. thats extremely high. for oil pressure u only need anout 10 psi/1000 rpm's. so 25-30 at idle is plenty. and 40 goin down the highway is also plenty. id say ur good to go.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
minitruck_freq said:
mine buries an 80 psi gauge at idle. makes me wonder if i should replace the sending unit. or maybe try another gauge. thats extremely high. for oil pressure u only need anout 10 psi/1000 rpm's. so 25-30 at idle is plenty. and 40 goin down the highway is also plenty. id say ur good to go.
I talked to a few people who said that was a common problem for these sending units. Mine had started to pop up to 80 from what I thought was the correct reading of 55-60 going 70mph. It would stay pegged for a while and then come back down. After putting in the new sender I get 40 at 70mph.

I changed my sending unit out in the Autozone parking lot here in town. They didn't have a deepwell socket big enough to fit the original sending unit so I had to break the top part off and use a 30MM CV axle nut socket they had in the "Loan-A-Tool" section. The new unit was smaller and they had a special socket in the tool section for $7-8 that fit it good. The sending unit itself was $19.99.

Derek

·
Loves the boost.
145 Posts
I have a 2.2 (i know this is the 2.5 forum) but when i got mine new, the oil pressure was pegged most of the time but now that it's broken in, 40 psi at idle and around 65 while driving are quite normal for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts