S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
32,797 Posts
The problem is, most everything that people call a "cold air intake" is actually just a giant higher-flowing, but usually less effective filter that's exposed to the air coming off the 200 degree radiator. So, you may be getting more air, but it's hot and dirty. Then you have the ones that are a pretty and shiny aluminum tube, which absorbs the radiated heat to pass on to the intake air flowing through it.

If you're gonna change something for performance, at least make an actual improvement.
That is 100% incorrect. It's been proven over and over again that the air moves too quickly through the tube to be affected by the temp of the tube itself.

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
That is 100% incorrect. It's been proven over and over again that the air moves too quickly through the tube to be affected by the temp of the tube itself.
I had a feeling I was gonna get that response as I was typing it. I've only seen it speculated both ways, and didn't know this was actually "proven over and over again". I still can't figure out how it's possible, though. I mean- what carries the heat away from the aluminum tubes and fins of a radiator core when the car is traveling at highway speeds?

·
32,797 Posts
I had a feeling I was gonna get that response as I was typing it. I've only seen it speculated both ways, and didn't know this was actually "proven over and over again". I still can't figure out how it's possible, though. I mean- what carries the heat away from the aluminum tubes and fins of a radiator core when the car is traveling at highway speeds?
The air is flowing through the tube at such a rapid pace that it has no time to be affected by the temperature of the tube, no speculation about it. The tube does not "pass on" the heat to the air flowing inside it like you stated.

·
Electrical Mod
56,117 Posts
The radiator works completely different, there's a lot of surface area to cool off the aluminum and the coolant flows between the fins which removes the heat. The cold air intake has very little surface area that contacts the air inside (compared to a cooling fin). The air also moves quickly through the pipe, so it doesn't have a lot of time to heat the inside air. While it does warm the air up, it's not substantial compared to other intakes.

If I can tonight or tomorrow, I'll see if I can run a basic calculation to compare a few different materials, like ABS plastic, aluminum, and something with a lower heat transfer coefficient.

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
The radiator works completely different, there's a lot of surface area to cool off the aluminum and the coolant flows between the fins which removes the heat. The cold air intake has very little surface area that contacts the air inside (compared to a cooling fin). The air also moves quickly through the pipe, so it doesn't have a lot of time to heat the inside air. While it does warm the air up, it's not substantial compared to other intakes.

If I can tonight or tomorrow, I'll see if I can run a basic calculation to compare a few different materials, like ABS plastic, aluminum, and something with a lower heat transfer coefficient.
I got it now. Explaining about the surface area makes sense to me. I've always figured that if I was to make one, I would use regular PVC pipe or ABS if I was concerned about weight.

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
The air is flowing through the tube at such a rapid pace that it has no time to be affected by the temperature of the tube, no speculation about it. The tube does not "pass on" the heat to the air flowing inside it like you stated.
Actually, that's not quite correct either.
Higher air (or engine coolant) flow doesn't reduce the btu transfer rate.
It might for a certain sample volume, but if one volume of air doesn't absorb
its full saturation (temperature), its made up for by in high airflow volumes each absorbing
some of the heat.

I hope the way I put that makes sense...

So the aluminum tubing does increase heat transfer to some extent,
just not enough to make much difference given its relatively low surface area.

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
Stock sucks that's why and I'd vote for just about any CAI.
The stock airbox can be modded into an effective cold air sourced intake
that rivals, and in many cases, exceeds the performance potential of many aftermarket intakes.

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
Re: Bump

Dont have a 4.3, mines just a 2.2, but I LOVE my volant air intake. scored it for $170, little pricier than other setups, like it alot better than K&N. Honestly the type probably doesn't matter unless you have a V8.

Probably going to slap a magnaflow system on too
:rolleyes:
Oh boy...
2.2 guys...:D

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,617 Posts
The stock airbox can be modded into an effective cold air sourced intake
that rivals, and in many cases, exceeds the performance potential of many aftermarket intakes.
Yes I know, I did it to my 97 S10, but most would agree that modding something that is stock makes it stock no longer.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm tired of the debates. I'm gonna build me a stock style air box (maybe a little bigger)with a K&N drop in with it's own small air conditioning unit inside of the air box for a true CAI. Then maybe it'll run as peppy in the summer time as it does during the winter?

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
Yes I know, I did it to my 97 S10, but most would agree that modding something that is stock makes it stock no longer.
Agreed.
But I've found that when many say "stock sucks", they usually want to replace
stock parts with aftermarket pieces, often just because it isn't "stock".
My apologies. Just bugs me when I see people say that for some reason...

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
I'm tired of the debates. I'm gonna build me a stock style air box (maybe a little bigger)with a K&N drop in with it's own small air conditioning unit inside of the air box for a true CAI. Then maybe it'll run as peppy in the summer time as it does during the winter?
Good idea.
But save yourself even more money, and don't bother with the K&N drop-in either.
It won't help over a paper filter that isn't covered in dirt...

·
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ &#
34,617 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
^ my buddy bought one of those for his Blazer. Its not even worth the money though. It has a bunch of fitment issues and the brackets for it are a joke.

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
I'd save yourself the hassle and just get one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-97-05-CHEVY-S10-ZR2-ZR5-BLAZER-SONOMA-JIMMY-4-3L-V6-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-Black-Red-/110976307137?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d6b40fc1&vxp=mtr

My preference would be to paint the chrome with some kind of black, but that's just me. This is just as good as my $200+ K&N kit other than I have a heat shield, but I don't think that makes an awful lot of difference.
Yeah, the so-called heat shield for the K&N is a joke...

21 - 40 of 59 Posts