S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what is the best cold air intaked to put on my 99 s10 with the 4.3? And if i buy underdrive pulleys will i need to get a different belt or will a stock one work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My guess on the intake would be

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-3017-2

and I'm not too sure about the underdrive pulley question. The underdrive pulleys have a smaller diameter than the regular pulleys so they spin faster. If it's a smaller diameter than stock I'd guess you may need a new belt or you'll have a loose one.
and be careful with those underdrive pulleys they lighten up your crank, making it easier to snap. I'm not sure how often this happens, but it increases the chances.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Underdrive pulleys require a different belt.

One of the guys here did a cold air intake that is easily better than the other so called cold air intakes. The reason is because he actually got air from somewhere besides the engine compartment. It should be a half dozen pages back at most You'll know it when you see it and there are a ton of pics.

·
Mr. Sparkle
10,040 Posts
Dont pay $250 for a K&N intake, you can achieve the same results from a cheap $50 Ebay offbrand Intake with a K&N cone filter. I would recomend one. A inexpensive modification is "the airbox mod" which requires you to drill a larger hole in the stock airbox to deliver more air.

As far as under drive pullies go, i would be weary when doing this. It can affect charge rate. There are less expencive and easier ways to make the same horsepower.

·
3,878 Posts
You should try to find a system that isolates the filter from the hot underhood air temps. The air coming out of the radiator is around 190-200 degrees.

If you plug in a scan tool that will allow you to monitor the IAT sensor, you'll see that you're pulling hot air.

The objective should be to pull in the coolest air possible, so the PCM won't pull timing.

If you are running a "programmed" PCM, this will affect performance because the programmer may have increased spark advance to obtain power. When the engine is operating on the threshold of engine knock, the PCM will pull timing and reduce power.

Hey, it will sound good though.

·
32,797 Posts
Dont pay $250 for a K&N intake, you can achieve the same results from a cheap $50 Ebay offbrand Intake with a K&N cone filter. I would recomend one. A inexpensive modification is "the airbox mod" which requires you to drill a larger hole in the stock airbox to deliver more air.
:werd:

·
Registered
300 Posts
You can cut the entire front out of the air box, it will be quieter and perform just as well as any cold air intake. I've swapped an Air Raid cold air intake over for a stock air box that was cut out to hide a dry nitrous kit we installed on a truck and there was 0 difference in acceleration, the stock air box was just quieter.

·
Life Begins @ Zero PSI
4,927 Posts
You should try to find a system that isolates the filter from the hot underhood air temps. The air coming out of the radiator is around 190-200 degrees.

If you plug in a scan tool that will allow you to monitor the IAT sensor, you'll see that you're pulling hot air.

The objective should be to pull in the coolest air possible, so the PCM won't pull timing.

If you are running a "programmed" PCM, this will affect performance because the programmer may have increased spark advance to obtain power. When the engine is operating on the threshold of engine knock, the PCM will pull timing and reduce power.

Hey, it will sound good though.
behind my headlights are cut for more air and with no front inner fenders i'm getting plenty of cool air flowing around in there. i run HHO so the computer programming is turned off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bump

Dont have a 4.3, mines just a 2.2, but I LOVE my volant air intake. scored it for $170, little pricier than other setups, like it alot better than K&N. Honestly the type probably doesn't matter unless you have a V8.

Probably going to slap a magnaflow system on too

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Boss just bought a K&N for my truck. Didn't tell me he was going to. Just ordered it and left the invoice for me. I'm still trying to figure out why I would want a monster chrome tube and a goofy looking bucket shaped filter instead of what I have now. It wasn't broke so it really didn't need fixing. As long as I don't have to pay for it, I guess it's ok, but what is so wrong with wanting to keep a truck stock? :/

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Boss just bought a K&N for my truck. Didn't tell me he was going to. Just ordered it and left the invoice for me. I'm still trying to figure out why I would want a monster chrome tube and a goofy looking bucket shaped filter instead of what I have now. It wasn't broke so it really didn't need fixing. As long as I don't have to pay for it, I guess it's ok, but what is so wrong with wanting to keep a truck stock? :/

I'll give you $75 for it.

·
Sold :'(
7,561 Posts
The problem is, most everything that people call a "cold air intake" is actually just a giant higher-flowing, but usually less effective filter that's exposed to the air coming off the 200 degree radiator. So, you may be getting more air, but it's hot and dirty. Then you have the ones that are a pretty and shiny aluminum tube, which absorbs the radiated heat to pass on to the intake air flowing through it.

If you're gonna change something for performance, at least make an actual improvement.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts