S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 89 Baja. I absolutely love the truck with one drawback. Due to the factory lift (and the upgrade to 31" tires) the bumper is a bit high for my 4x8 ATV trailer tongue. I have been looking into getting a frame mounted receiver to fit the truck to remedy the problem. However, all the listings for hitches say that they fit everything but the Baja. Why is that? I looked at the frame and bumper of my truck versus a standard S10 and I could not see anything different. It would be the same frame, so why would a frame mounted hitch not fit? Is this just some crap manufacturers due because tehy are too lazy to test it on a baja or what???

·
Registered
9 Posts
'89 Baja hitch

The hitch on my '89 4x4 mounts on the sides of the framerails, right in with the rear bumper mounts. Is your bumper different than stock? If not, then a factory hitch should work. If there weren't alot of them produced( I didn't even know such a creature existed), they may not show up in the books. Try a wrecking yard for a used class 3. They are pretty inexpensive and usually in good condition, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the Baja package was a factory option for the years of 89-92 I believe. The package consists of bucket seats, a light bar with offroad and fog lamps, front and rear bumper guards, 4.3 and 4x4, Rally wheels (even the spare), and a factory 4" lift.

I will take some pics with my digi camera when i get home tonight and post them. If you could let me know if it is the same as yours I would really appreciate it. I am thinking of getting a new receiver from jcwhitney and I really do not want to order somethign adn have it not fit.

thanks for your help thus far.

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
could it be that the frame is a lil wider?:confused: or the suspension peices might be in the way? :confused: im not too familiar with the Bajas so bare with me i just threw out some ideas.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1989 S15 Ext Cab 2wd, 2/3 drop
71 Posts
On my dad's Baja, we just welded a short square tube to the underside of the factory hitch - creating a reciever. The license plate had to be relocated a little- no biggie.

Actually, the Bajas didn't have a 4" lift from the factory. I've only EVER seen one lifted Baja.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i beleve that there are just so few of them that they didn't bother listing them.

either that or it could be that it's just an option level and therefore it wouldn't matter.

personally, i think the baja's are the sweetest S10 made, better than the ZR2's even. i have only ever seen one and that was in mexico and at the time i thought the guy just customized his truck but now i know better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I answered my own question. I looked at the damn manual. The baja comes with a supplement and it has a line art drawing of the truck on the front and back. It shows the factory rear bumper as merely a tube type bumper witha brush guard. My truck must have had this removed and it has been replaced with a standard bumper (which i bent the **** out of, but i digress) and thus the standard hitch should work. Thanks everyone for your input. I should post some pics of the truck but some of you may cry. It was fairly beaten when I got it. But, restoration is underway. I now have a new box sitting in my driveway ready to be prepped and painted.

P.S. Anybody have an extra 3.42 rearend laying around? Or a factory bumper?

·
Registered
301 Posts
arnard said:
I recently purchased an 89 Baja. I absolutely love the truck with one drawback. Due to the factory lift (and the upgrade to 31" tires) the bumper is a bit high for my 4x8 ATV trailer tongue. I have been looking into getting a frame mounted receiver to fit the truck to remedy the problem. However, all the listings for hitches say that they fit everything but the Baja. Why is that? I looked at the frame and bumper of my truck versus a standard S10 and I could not see anything different. It would be the same frame, so why would a frame mounted hitch not fit? Is this just some crap manufacturers due because tehy are too lazy to test it on a baja or what???
bg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts