S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't paying attention the other day when I filled up and accidentally filled up with a higher octane gas. I think it was 89 rather than the usual 87. I've almost always shied away from the higher octane because of price.

Since I filled up with the higher octane I've noticed greatly improved acceleration and there is allot more snap when I step on the pedal. The engine revs up quicker between shifts with a feeling of more power.

As long as the price stays within reason I'm going to keep feeding the higher octane to my truck. Next time I fill up I'm going to really go for the gusto and feed it ultra high-test and see what that does.

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
the cheapest possible:)

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
i have the HPP III and power stat . i run 91 (highest in cali, atleast where i live). and to keep you up to date. the United States just worked out a deal with Russia to purchase crude oil at a better price then the ********* in the east were raping us for. that is why the prices have fallen sharply. here in my part of premium (91) is $1.20, and regular (87) is around $1.06. :thumbup:

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
i kinda figured prices in cali were a bit more....i usually get 89.....here 93 is bout $1.06, 89 is $0.94, and 87 is $0.86...not bad huh......i heard that it is better to stick with one grade and not use dif ones all the time but that may be some bs

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
sweetbutxtreme said:
i kinda figured prices in cali were a bit more....i usually get 89.....here 93 is bout $1.06, 89 is $0.94, and 87 is $0.86...not bad huh......i heard that it is better to stick with one grade and not use dif ones all the time but that may be some bs
focker! i would almost kill for 93 octane AND it at that price!:bash: :thumbup:

·
1,088 Posts
i alomost forgot....at most of the petro express, you can get 100 octane for $2.50-$2.75....i guess it would be likle putting a bottle of booster in the tabk........*dream world* if only i had the money to afford 100 octane every time***

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cheapest gas here is $0.62.9/liter here and that's just the lower octane stuff. You do the math. It works out to over $2.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Zac said:
The cheapest gas here is $0.62.9/liter here and that's just the lower octane stuff. You do the math. It works out to over $2.00 a gallon.
OUCH!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Pewter01 said:
But thats $2 canadian...which is like $1.30...

Anyway...I can get 110 octane here. ITs like$3.69 a gallon though...I ran half a tank when I went to the strip one day...Cost me a focking arm and a leg... It was fun though!

·
1,088 Posts
i need to get out to the track so bad....i wanna have something to compare to when i actually start gettin some work done to the X

·
32,797 Posts
sweetbutxtreme said:
i kinda figured prices in cali were a bit more....i usually get 89.....here 93 is bout $1.06, 89 is $0.94, and 87 is $0.86...not bad huh......
No, it is cheap out here.
All 3 grades are under a dollar.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Gas Stuff

Run what your book says to run. GM has some egg-head with a slide rule who went to college for 30 years designing your engine around the gas that is available. And beside, higher octane gas just keeps you engine from detonating, so if your not having a problem with detonation you are just lining the pockets of some oil company exec. Any performance gain that you get from putting in the good stuff is all in your head. The best thing to do is rig some kind of indicator to you knock sensor and if it indicates that you have detonation, jump up one grade.

my .02

Rick
Chesapeak, Virginia

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
well when the sensor detects knock, it retards timing, which slows you down,

speaking of retarded.......

j/k

cheapest available in the truck

premium in the t/a

where in ca can you get premium for under a buck? its like 1.50 here:cry: