S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 extreme and i'm trying to figure out wut exhaust woudl sound best on it. right now I have single in dual out flowmaster on it, but its real quiet. I would really like it to sound as close to a V-8 as possible. Plz tell me if u have an set-ups that u think would sound better. Thankx.

·
Registered
25 Posts
well, no matter what you do it will never sound like a v8. not enless you drop one in there. What i did is i went to a local muffler shop and made my own exhaust. i work there so it cost me about 140$ i have a true dual exhaust with headers no cats no mufflers. be catious you will get pulled over a few times. and i wouldent recomend this if you have to pass emmisions.

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
I had a 3inch inlet to a 40 series flowmaster, and dual 2.5 inch out the rear. I wouldnt of called it quiet. I got a y-pipe and headers now so its pretty good sounding and loud enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have thought about putting headers on it but i haven't found ne one round town who can make me some but about how much hp did they add to yours?

·
Landmine Carburetor
1,476 Posts
I don't think anyone is gonna make you headers. You'd have to buy those. You could get a Y-pipe made and that would help some too, and along with a full exhause system you should get easy 10 more h.p.

·
Medium-size Truckin
4,783 Posts
i feel like an idiot for asking this, but what is a Y-pipe? from the title it would seem to me that it splits the one pipe into two....but isnt that the point of the muffler?
so sausagefingers...you are saying to ditch the muffler and get a Y-pipe? Why do this? what are the differences? thanks for the help and sorry for being a bit nieve...

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
99xtreme2 said:
how much did u pay for your headers?
My headers were about $350 with the chrome coating. If you want them to last longer get them ceramic coated, which is like $550 maybe. They helped with HP, but you will lose some low end torque. It will make the exhaust louder though, especially inside the cab.

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
wellhung said:
i feel like an idiot for asking this, but what is a Y-pipe? from the title it would seem to me that it splits the one pipe into two....but isnt that the point of the muffler?
so sausagefingers...you are saying to ditch the muffler and get a Y-pipe? Why do this? what are the differences? thanks for the help and sorry for being a bit nieve...
A y-pipe starts at each exhaust manifolds at each side of the engine and comes down into one pipe. We have single exhaust thats why its called a Y, the 2 pipes come down and into one, then a catalytic convertor on my truck then the muffler.

·
Truck is toast :-/
2,949 Posts
I went ghetto and just put on a straight tube cherry bomb glasspack, a tad longer than they reccomended for my truck. Sounded a ton better than I thought it would have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just put a cut out on mine after the cat. Sounds damn nice and I haven't noticed any problems with back pressure. After the cut out I welded up a 40 series. when i want mine loud i just take a plate off. I highly recommend it. Mine is made by flowtech and cost about 125 installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts