S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Slammedcruiser98
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got this engine today and plan on rebuilding it and replacing some internals.. All I know is that it is supposedly 76-80? GM 350 with all stock internals and I was wondering if there was a way to find out its origins.. here is a pic of the casting on the block.. I have more pics if anyone is interested .I know very little about engine building my buddies are helping me and i am just funding the project pretty much due to my lack of knowledge. However I want to learn everything there is to know all help appreciated! btw I beleive it is 3976010
here is a link to more pics http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h136/zcarey/

·
Ridin Dirrty
794 Posts
Heres what Mortec says

302 69 4 bolt main z-28 camaro

327 69 2 bolt main Trucks and Industrial

350 69-80 2 or 4 bolt main

My guess is the 350. The 302's are pretty rare, and its doubtful that it is an industrial motor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "010" means four bolt main,and its probably a truck 350

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
010 doesnt mean 4 bolt. Its just a 350 block....

·
LT1 Powered
2,467 Posts
If the casting number gives you multiple engines...and you still aren't sure its a 350. Then you can just measure the bore and stroke. (Dial indicator, etc)

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
3970010... probably the most common block # for 350`s in the 70`s.
there should be an area on the passenger side front of the block deck surface, right above the water pump mounting, with 2, or 3 letters stamped into the machined surface.
these letters will tell you much about what model and year vehicle it was originally installed in, and its HP rating.

·
Static> Bags
2,596 Posts
Look on the pass side, next to the head if its stamped 302 DZ, let me know, i will come pick it up.

·
Slammedcruiser98
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mm let me go take a looksie..

okay its still in my truck against the side and plan on removing it tommorrow but all I can see is ..... (T1124CKH) then right inder that (17K442469)

·
Slammedcruiser98
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also was wanting some opinions on selling off all the other parts...I was wanting to keep the engine stand and the block and sell everything else and buy newer performance parts.. I was thinking that might be alittle less expensive and save me some time..considering I got everything for 135$.. good idea or no? also what are your opinions of those pistons? are they still worth using? I know its hard to tell from the pics but I don't know much about the condition they should be in.

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
So what all are you trying to sell?

Used pistons= bad idea typically

·
Slammedcruiser98
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fully assembled heads, edelbrock valve covers, distributer, stock crank... I guess those are the onlt things that are worth anything if any.. like I said I am not really the expert with all this.. this weekend I am taking over to a few of my buddies places who built engines and see what there opinions are. And honestly I know they are not worth much just wondering if an hour or two cleaning them up would get a few bucks for them. or if they are scrap to begin with..

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
You would be better off to keep them, they arent worth anything if you try to sell them. But the day one of your parts goes bad, youll be glad you still have a replacement.

·
hellboundkustomz
2,336 Posts
unless you are gonna stroke it, i would probably keep the crank. unless it spun a rod or crank bearing. a new stock crank isn`t big money though. it never hurts to have an extra dist. lying around either. throw the heads in a scrappile.

·
Registered
458 Posts
ok i saw this thread and needed help with the same thing,i have a 305 from a camaro but now im not sure what year its from,i have a couple of numbers that i have found around the block,hopefully someone can help me b/c i cant find it on any site---J066 V1008SDK and 1H113053, so please if somene could help me find these numbers out of what they mean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts