S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
www.vertical-limit.com
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you out there with the original xtreme ground effects, and that live in a state where you do not need a front license plate.................

how would it look to bondo the plastic "xtreme, S-10" license plate filler with the rest of the S-10's front bumper?

i have never seen this before on a xtreme, but i think it will look awesome and create it to look a lot more smoother.

I think i might do it this weekend.

well, i best be getting ready to go. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

·
Got Beer?
1,599 Posts
I can't do it because I'm in Rhode Island but the idea does sound interesting. I wouldnt doubt that it would look good and you could say that it is just a little more reinforcement of that front airdam. I say go for it!

·
Ex Minitrucker
1,072 Posts
Ha the damn dealer wouldnt even give me mine when I bought the truck past spring. Said it doesnt come with the truck in states where u have to have a front license plate. Anyways it looks good like that.

·
Red X = Pure Sex!
3,366 Posts
I think it looks better all smooth like that. Never thought about doing that. hmmmm.......

·
Got Beer?
1,599 Posts
chris21014 said:
Ha the damn dealer wouldnt even give me mine when I bought the truck past spring. Said it doesnt come with the truck in states where u have to have a front license plate. Anyways it looks good like that.
That can't be right. I bought my truck here in Rhode Island and it is illegal but my truck came with one. They just dont feel like ordering one for ya I guess. I would go down there and talk to the person who sold it to you if he/she is still there. That reminds me, the dealer was supposed to order me a seatbelt for my fold down seat because there wasnt one in the truck and I haven't gotten it yet. I will have to take care of that quickly...

·
Which seat can I take?
5,680 Posts
when i bought my xtreme. my plate filler came in a little plastic bag along with my xtreme decal which i have yet put on.

·
Ex Minitrucker
1,072 Posts
damn mine didnt come with a decal either. I had to buy it off ebay.
Anyone in the Baltimore region dont buy anything from Bob Bell. Place sux although we did get a real good deal on the truck.

X

·
0 Posts
insteed of using bondo why couldnt you fiberglass it in instead? wouldnt that be stronger than bondo...also bondo might crack...altough thats a great idea..might look into it?
xtreme

·
www.vertical-limit.com
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i spent my saturday with bondo in my left hand and fiberglass in my right hand and here is the final product--- i hope this inspires my fellow xtreme riders to add this project to your list.

Attachments

·
Red X = Pure Sex!
3,366 Posts
Hell yeah! That looks way better then having the seams. Just another mod to do.:pimp:

·
Ex Minitrucker
1,072 Posts
Geez now that Ive seen that I really want my damn cover.

·
Registered
336 Posts
xtreme-10 said:
insteed of using bondo why couldnt you fiberglass it in instead? wouldnt that be stronger than bondo...also bondo might crack...altough thats a great idea..might look into it?
xtreme
The bumper & the plate filler are made of flexible plastic. Bondo, & fiberglass would crack out with all of the flexing that would go on up front. ie. : rubbing, & scraping the lower valance (ground FX) on a parking lot entrance. Ya'll know that when filler pops out it takes paint wit it! ("That would be bad" Quote from Mr. Mackey South ParK)The best way to do it is, plastic weld it in. Buy a plastic welder kit from a parts store, or (cheap way) use a soldering iron, and melt the plastic together. Then fill in the gap with a 2 part epoxy especially made for rubber (flexible, uerathane) bumpers. You can get that at parts stores too. Use the 2 part epoxy like body filler (bondo), prime, sand smooth and prime again. If you still see imperfections, determine if they're in the primer, or if they're deeper. If they're deeper, you need a little more filler. If they're in the primer, re-prime again. Getting the parts lined up completely flush is the key. The more plastic you melt (without going through) together the stronger it will be. After melting it together grind the area to be filled with 24-36 grit grinder ,and "V" out the area. Get it somewhat smooth. (if your careful, you can do this and not get into the plastic around the lettering) Next fill it with the epoxy filler.(thoughroghy mix 'till it's ALL 1 color, even wipe the spreader clean to avoid un-mixed portions contaminating the work piece. Because if you spread un-mixed portions onto the work piece, they don't get hard, and it will "roll" off and not sand well at all, leaving "divit's" in the repair area. You want uniform color ALL the way through.)If you have messed with bondo before, the principals are the same, you just need to work it a little more. Remember the fact that, it's plastic, and it's alright if you sand into the bumper material a little bit. Unlike bondo on metal, you can't sand into the metal, because sheet metal is thin and hard (compared to bumper material, which is about 10 times thicker and soft) so you can dig in a little bit and be safe, using it as filler (in a sense). You can even grind it with 24-36 grit to rough it up. Then spread the 2 part epoxy on to fill the scratches and pinholes. 80 grit to get it close, 150-180 grit to smooth it for primer. (Three wet coats, and not the drippy kind) Let it dry. Sand the primer with 180 grit or finer and re-prime. (3 more wet coats, most likely you'll need a second layer) Then your ready for final sand and paint!
Get it smooth BEFORE you prime ( wet it with water if you have to, to see what it might look like with paint, by looking at the reflection of a light source). If there's a big "hump" you got's a lot more sandin' ta do lucy!! Sand the "hump", not the work piece.
Lots of steps, but if you have the time, you can make it look good just like the bodyshops. Keep it clean, sand out ALL the scratches in the factory paint. Scuff (with scotchbrite®) the paint out further than you sanded (meaning anywhere primer will be) You don't want primer on un-scuffed paint, because it won't stick. Sand with 400 wet, then again with 600 wet ,you should be ready for paint, unless you sanded through the primer. ( then you need to re-prime and re-sand) Just remember that primer will only fill 180 grit scratches. Anything deeper needs more attention.
I think I've given ya'll enough to go off of. If not, let me know, I'll see if I can help.
CHEERS!!

·
www.vertical-limit.com
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that seems like a lot of work compared to how i did it. well i am going to lightly bump it against a curb and see what happens. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
336 Posts
ROTF That's funny.

·
HATEKILLDESTROY
4,655 Posts
xtremelysweets10 said:
that seems like a lot of work compared to how i did it. well i am going to lightly bump it against a curb and see what happens. Wish me luck!
hey relax bro hes just giving another example of how to do it......but as for me, you wont see me doing either lol. i know bondoing it will cause it to crack and i know fiberglass will crack as well.. the airdamn is very flimsy which will cause both fiberglass and bondo to crack. o well looks good but not worth the effort

·
www.vertical-limit.com
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i just put a towel on the curb, i set my truck in neutral and just let it roll. There seems to be no damage! But i bet after time it will wear weak and start to crack. i really do not need to bang any curbs for the rest of my life, hahah (impossible)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts