S-10 Forum banner

What do you do about deteriorating rubber vacuum fittings?

754 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Original_Owner_86 
#1 · (Edited)
I had to take the air filter off my 1985 S10 today, and I was noticing how the specialty rubber fittings that connect two hoses to the air filter are deteriorating from age.

I assume parts like this are no longer available, so what do people do as a workaround? Or are they available in some generic format?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but this is the oldest car I've owned. Things are starting to come up I've never had to deal with before.

#3 ·
In most cases, you can just hook a new vacuum hose onto the individual nipples where the molded rubber thing went. You just have to keep track of which hose goes where, since you don't have the rubber thing to keep them in the proper positions.

#7 ·
I usually do like you, I try to think up a new way of creating a new part and then go about making it.

Then I throw it away and come here like you to seek realistic help. My trashcan is full of failed ideas.

I keep it around to remind me and keep me humble. It's my favorite pie. Sorry my post won't help.:(

#8 ·
If you plan on keeping your truck, you might as well replace all the vacuum lines at one time if they're rotting & soft. Vacuum line available in bulk from Napa Auto and some others where you can take a piece of line in to match up the size & length You can trim a rotten end and reattach the line to get by if the rest of the line is in good condition.
Vacuum line leaks are akin to electrical shorts & open wires and will affect engine performance and lead to worse issues, so it's important to maintain them in good condition.
The Help! section in auto parts stores may have some of the unique fittings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.