S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a 4x2 truck with a little lift on it. I bought a s-10 but I think instead of dropping it I want to lift it up a little. Nothing major just like a 2-3" lift. I would have bought a zr2 but I new nothing at the time about the trucks. Also what suspension do you recommend to do this. Like I said I don't know much about lifting a truck, so is a suspension or body lift good. I just want to be able to put some 30 or 31's on the truck. This is just for appearance any help would be appreciated. :thumbup:

Cory

·
Registered
129 Posts
You should have been around this past summer. I just sold a pair of 2" lift springs for $50. I had a 93 2wd and was running 30's. I'd suggest a 2 or 3 inch body lift. You should be able to handle 31's with that. Plus it doesn't mess with the suspension. What gears do you have, and what was your stock tire size. If you jump in tire size to much you'll either have a decrease in low-end torque, or need to change your gears. Another suggestion I have is nerf bars if you decide on the body lift. Even if they're for looks, like some nice chrome ones, they cover up that ugly frame. S-10 frames stick out a good bit stock, the body lift only worsens the problem further. OK, I think my novel is finished here.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know....

what size tires I have. It is the stock ones that come on the LS package. As for the gears, I was look it up and I saw it said a 410 rear end. So would that mean the gear ratio? I am not used to all this stuff. I am used to imports, but I decided to change. I have the 2200 4 cyl. so what ever gears come with that. Thanks for the info., do you know where I might order a body lift for an s10 at?

Cory

·
Registered
129 Posts
It might be even more of a dog after the larger tires but the largest(numerically) gears for your axle are 4.56, I think. So it might not be worth the cost to swap. Look at other peoples trucks with body lifts and ask them. I've heard of people that had problems with the new body style and body lifts. Nothing you couldn't make a homemade fix for though, in my opinion. Performance Accesories makes a desent one that is fairly cheap. I think that the TrailMaster body lift is the most complete for the 1st gen trucks, not sure for the 2nd geners. I believe that all the newer body style body lifts come with atleast the front bumper relocation brackets. I've also heard that on some of the Vortec trucks, maybe just CPI and not SMFI, the wiring harness didn't have enough slack for the body lift. You have a 4-banger so I guess that doesn't really matter. I think I covered just about everything. Just start searching for the body lift companies, through internet and catalogs. I know Summit carries a couple of different brands. I have a feeling that you might not be happy with the lack of performance once you get the larger tires on. But you said you used to drive imports, so you're already used to lacking performance. ;) Just kidding, had to throw that one in there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so......

there would be probably a considerable loss in the performance category? I really just wanted to lift it to be different, but if I am going to run into problems I might as well go ahead and lower it. My civic wasn't to shabby for performance considering it had a built motor and running 10 lbs of boost daily. :D I appreciate your help. I guess now it is up to me to make my mind up. :confused:

Cory

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can't really say, it's all up to the driver. I've seen trucks with V8's, 4.10 gears, and stock tires. At the other end of the spectrum is my roommate who has a Toyota with a 22R, 4.10s, and 35's. It's all in the drivers preference. I like to keep it near the stock setup, good power, good fuel economy, just plain good. Not too extreme in any direction.
By the way, I respect any vehicle that is fast. But not a Honda that has a stock motor, big "jackass spoiler", and painted calipers. If you had a super/turbo on it then you were in the right direction. That direction would be forward in the least amount of time. :D
Just had a thought, test drive someone elses vehicle that has larger tires and stock gears. Even if it's a 4wd, it'll give you an idea of what kind of power loss there will be.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't seen very many people where I live with a 4 wd s10 or a 2wd s10 lifted but I have seen one that looks just like mine with the lift I want to do and some nice rims/tires. but I don't ever see that truck again. I will keep looking as trying to find out what I really want to do. Thanks again.

Cory

·
Registered
18 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you are going to go out and actually take this truck off road, you might not have enuff engine. If you are going to just use this truck around town, and the lift is strictly for looks, you might get away with what you got. Now, if you are doing this for looks, body lifts look like chit. Frame stickin out and wires and gaps everywhere... Not attractive. Go to www.fabtechmotorsports.com for the way you want to go. Lots of engineering go into these kits to take out what problems there are. It is more expensive, but it is the right way to do it. If you lowered a truck, you wouldn't just heat up the springs till they sagged, would you? Well, this is just the opposite. BellTech meet FabTech.

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
if its just for looks go for lightweight wheels and tires.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks...

I will check out that site. What are some lightweight rims and tires that I could possibbly use?

Cory

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok....

I looked at the fabtech site and I am pretty interested in the basic system 1.5"-2.0" suspension lift. What kind of rims are pretty resonable prices that look good that have a 3.75" max backspacing? Also they only have listed up to 1999 so will that suspension fit on a 2001? Thanks

Cory

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
as far as wheels go... aluminum
personally i like the american eagle 58's and they arent to bad about 80 apiece

tires... stay away from the big fuggers. i had bfg 31's with stock steel wheels and they each weighed almost as much as i do

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow, you must be really skinny, hahaha. Sorry. My 33's on steel 15" rims don't weight too much, just a guess of around 50lbs per wheel and tire. I like the lite weight idea though. Oh yeah, sorry for getting side tracked with the body lift idea. I don't know to much about the newer 2wd suspension lift kits. I believe they are the same as lowering kits: spinles that lift instead of lower, longer/stiffer coils as apposed to shorter/softer springs. Definitely, if you can afford to do it right, do it right and go with the suspension lift.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
suspension lift...

yeah i am going to go ahead and going with just a 1.5"-2" suspension lift right now and maybe a 2" body lift later. I can get it for a pretty good price so I am going to start buying the components. Thanks for all your help, I will let you know if I need more.

Cory

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
one last question...

with just a 1.5"-2" lift now what size tires can I fit nicely. I was told only a 235/75 15? and also why is the backspacing smaller when lifting a truck. I was told on that the backspacing was a max of 3.75"?

Cory

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ran 31's on my S10 with a 3" suspension lift. You should have no problem with 29's, maybe 30's if you trim the fenders.

Wheels need different back spacing so the clearance between the tire/wheel and the suspension parts stays the same as it was with a stock truck. As for if the kit will fit, give them a call and ask.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks...

I will probably run 29's since I am only going 1.5" right now. I called fabtech and they said the '99 set-up would fit the '01 so i am clear there. So what do you think the tire size should be 29 x what?

Cory

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do tires even com in flotation sizes lower than 30"? You might have to get the metric equivalent, which I believe is a 235/75. I know that a 30x9.50 is the equivalent of a 245/75. I'd say you could fit 30's but go with you own judgement.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
30x9.50....

when I called 4 wheel parts they told me with a 3" lift that 30 x 9.50 would be the biggest I could put on, but if i can get away with it on a 1.5-2" lift than I will go with that.

Cory

1 - 20 of 41 Posts