S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to the whole technical aspect of car audio, but i want to add some power to my stock '98 2dr Blazer. The obvious answer is to get a box, but I still want to be able to use my cargo area and back seats. I figure I can cut some holes in the plastic cubby holes infront of the rear wheels. I can fit a 10" sub on each side. My question: what do I need to look for to make a good match between the head unit, amp, and subs. I don't want to spend a lot on it ($300 MAX) So I figure I could get the specs of a good set up and find them on ebay. I just need the power ratings and watts and the other numbers. BTW, I listen to metal (Pantera, Metallica....). I really like the site and I know you guys know your stuff so any help would be apprciated.
Also, I may want to add some neon lighs inside and out. Will I ever have any issues with my power or battery at all?

Thanks

·
bitch
7,884 Posts
silly monkey. $300 won't get you but a cheap 10 and small amp. now move on up to about $600 and you can get a decent small amp and sub with all your wiring.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
yeah, if you crank your system (hell of a lot more than $300) the lights will dim - thanks to the underpowered stock alternator. you'll have to buy an aftermarker (140 and 200 are the sizes i think) but if you really want a system, $300 might buy you a head unit and wires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, that's pretty much what I didn't want to hear (about more $$$$). I was hoping to get the specs for a decent set up. Remeber, I don't need a "system" just subs. If I could get an idea of what ratings I need, i'd like to do some of my own investegating locally and on eBay. I just need a rundown of what the important specs are and how to mate them together.
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, the reason I don't want to commit more than $300 is because anything more than that I'd rather spend on performance.:burnout:

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Well 300 will get you some lower end subs and a lower end amp. Actually, you MIGHT be able to find 2 alpine 10s for 200, and an amp to power both of them for 150 MAYBE. The alpines would give you decent bass, probably not ground moving cause you cant afford a powerful amp. Search some alpine subs, get type Rs if you can, type Ss would be good too but cant handle as much power. Ill think about it for a while and see if i cant come up with an amp for them. In fact.

If you get the Type Rs and a JBL 600.1 amp that SHOULD almost fit within your budget and wont kill your lights TOO much. It WILL go over 300 if you want something decent, but search ebay for wires and stuff and you can get that cheap too. Got 20 ft of 4 guage for 15 bucks. Heres some links to check out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3048608515&category=3291

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3048165332&category=18797

check around on that amp, you could probably get it cheaper elsewhere if you really shop around. The subs might be cheaper somewhere else too.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
You can get by for cheap if you try hard enough.

You mentioned that you want to cut out the plastic and put a sub on each side of the Blazer. I just want to make sure you know that you still NEED an enclosure for the subwoofers. The tiny plastic panel isn't enough to act as a free-air or infinite baffle setup, you'll need to build some sort of box for them (I am guessing there is only room for sealed back there). That is something else you'll have to budget for, probably $30 or so if you do it yourself (it's easy).

Second is wiring. You'll need a wiring kit to get power to the amp and have the proper fuses/terminals. Meijer and Walmart (and probably more) carry 4 guage amp kits by Socshe for $25. You may not need 4 guage (depends on the amp), but overkill is good, especially if you upgrade later. I switch around all the time, right now I am running 85 watts off 4 guage. Also, sad to say that there isn't room in that budget for a new head unit. But you can use speaker level inputs on the amp and get it to work. Sound quality is reduced, but for a subwoofer system it is much harder to get that audible as compared to with highs.

Now for subs. Lemme be the first to say, you don't need two! If things are setup right a single sub can be more than enough for better sound quality. I run a single 8 (although I've had a lot of other setups). For me it's perfect. It doesn't take up hardly any space, sounds 100 times better than stock, and kinda gets that "wow" factor from many people (slot ported enclosure, made it much louder and lower than the sealed box before). Anyway, since you are on a small budget, you could get away with a single sub setup. You didn't say you want to be louder than loud (which is what most people on here only care about).

Right now on Ebay there are tons of different subs forsale. If you wanted a quality single sub there is an Infinity Perfect 10 for $114. If you wanted a little lower quality but more output, there are 2 Kicker Comp 10's for $79 for the pair. Properly installed they should sound great and do some shaking, and not cost $200 just for subs. I'd rather have cheap equipment setup right than the most expensive stuff out there in a half-ass install. I've heard it a million times, 10% equipment, 90% install (you'd believe it too if you heard my friend's old system, a $35 Pyle 15 and a $80 Crunch amp, big ported box, tuned low, sounded great and got loud enough to easily overpower the highs).

Amps are the same way. Make sure you get the right amp for the job. If you have an amp that can only be bridged down to 4 ohm mono you don't want to buy a pair of 4 ohm subs, there's no way to wire it to get the max potential out of the system. Also look for an amp with the above mentioned high level inputs, or else you'll be spending an extra $20-$40 on a line output convertor to make it work with your stock head unit.

The selection of amps is huge, and limited mostly by what sub(s) you chose. If you went with the Infinity then a good match would be Rockford Fosgate's 301S, $98 on Ebay.

The big thing on both amps and subs is to look for name brands. Rockford, Sony, Pioneer, Infinity, Kicker, Hifonics, the list goes on and on. Some are better than others, but most large name companies offer a reliable product you can trust. Some may be overratted, but thats why the forum is here, you can ask questions. Not everyone needs a top-of-the-line stereo first time out, some of us only want a little better sound to get through the daily drive a little more sane. Also remember, if it's all chrome and flash and has a "1 trillion watts" sticker on it and costs less than an extra value meal, it's most likely junk!

Just to tally things up:
Wiring kit ~$25
Wood, glue, screws, etc for box ~$30 (assuming you are going to leave it uncovered and let the plastic hide it).
Infinity Perfect 10 ~$134 (shipping)
Rockford 301S ~$123 (wow, lots for shipping!)
For a total of about $312. I bet you could do cheaper yet also. But that would be a good sounding setup and really livin up your music.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Also, I forgot. Battery power.

With the kinds of amps you'll be looking at I highly doubt that dimming lights will be an issue. I ran a Rockford 200 ix for a while, its an old class A/B (not efficient) amp that draws a lot of current (makes ~600 rms off 14 volts). I blew two different 30 amp fuses and then stepped to a 60. That's a lot of amperage to draw, and even at idle with the stereo full blast my lights did not dim and my voltage guage never budged. Stock alternator, stock battery. I left it play at a part one time for almost an hour full blast (and not running) and the voltage got pretty low, but it started right up and held voltage while idling just fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok cool, thats kind of what I was looking for. Again, another newbie question: why would I need a box? I think a 10" sub would barely fit alone, without a box. I have kind of wondered this before. Here's another idea I just came up with: I have seen those bass tubes (cannons, whatever). Are those any good? I could putOne on either side of the rearseats on a special mount and that could be cool. Still, what am I looking for in power outputs? Like Sesitivity? Peak and Max RMS? Stuff like that.

Just want to say that I posted this same topic at Soundomain and have yet to geta response. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
the tubes are junk - i havent heard a good one yet. a subwoofer needs a box, because the basic design of a woofer is to move air, and the sub has to be sealed (pretty much right, guys?) and plus, the cheap-ass plastic would crack as soon as the sub hit - its not nearly strong enough to mount a subwoofer to. ive never really seen the back of a blazer, but is losing a cubic foot of storage space really that big of a deal? if you needed to haul something big, you could always take the sub out, and put it back in when ur done hauling. peak power is the maximum amount of power a sub can handle, and RMS is what it normally plays when you have the music playing, but not cranked. im not really sure about the sensitivity, cuz im kinda new at systems too (i kinda prefer playing with the engine) sry about the long post, also sony DOES NOT make good car audio stuff, RF, Alpine, Audiobahn, Infinity, ect is good stuff.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I had the best tube they make, and it still sucked. Without the box the subs would be useless pretty much. They need something sealed to produce the low bass you hear from them.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I still say the Type Rs and the JBL though, a little better quality and even just 1 type R bumped HARD for me. Even if you just got a single 10 with a JBL 300.1 amp, that would still hit pretty hard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All right, cool, this helps a lot.

Well, say I got a box (or maybe a double) how would I attach it to the truck so it doesn't slide around? Velcro?
What if I got 2 single boxes and attached them to the back of the rear seats so I could still fold them down seperatly. Would it still sound good with them pointing backwards or would it be better to put them facing towards the seats and attached to them? How heavy is a 10" box with a sub?
I'm just throwing around ideas here so maybe I can figure out something kinda uniqe and cool.

Again, Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
876 Posts
bobomonkey, where are u located at. my shop i work at here in illionios sells sub packages. we sell a 12" alpine S, alpine 200 watt rms amp, custom ported enclosure and installation and wiring for $300 plus tax. this is all brand new equipment w/ full warranty. i don't know if u are anywhere close to me, but if u are this is awesome deal. just trying to help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, not incredibly far away- Racine, WI. About 30 mi North of IL on Lake Michigan. I think I'll go to a local shop around here and see what they have to say.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts