S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna know what all I need to get my s10 to have automatic door lock and window and my s10 is 1998 and its all manual

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You can get all the guts from a power equipped s10/15 or come up on a pair of power doors which is much easier on the instal process.
Run the factory harness from the doors to the cab then use New relays.
add a new pin kit to both doors

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
853 Posts
2 options I see.

1. Get a set of doors, or factory style regulators, and switches, then rob a body harness from a power equipped truck.

2. Get aftermarket power pieces and install and wire to their spec.

I have done both just not on an S10, and either way is a big job but not too difficult.

Reactions: Gen210

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
235 Posts
I am going to be the one to ask why.

My 2003 S10 is manual locks manual windows and chances are I will never have to worry about either of them failing, while switching to electric it can be hit and miss sometimes they last forever and often times they go out after so long which eventually since these trucks are aging and parts in general are in shortage due to Covid if you plan to keep it long term it could become a problem, just look at the square body S10's on how parts are becoming hard to get for them.

Very easy to just reach over in these trucks and unlock the other door unless you are disabled which in that case I would understand.

If you go the route all I can say is buy spare parts while you can.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
Apparently my truck hasn't got the word it should die yet. Automotive parts die...it's what they do. S10 parts are plentiful...j/y and aftermarket.

Do your swap....it' will be fine.

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
853 Posts
Apparently my truck hasn't got the word it should die yet. Automotive parts die...it's what they do. S10 parts are plentiful...j/y and aftermarket.

Do your swap....it' will be fine.
if your truck does die you can burry it in my carport...

Reactions: Deer4ager

·
Registered
853 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

Here is my 1996 with 2001 power doors.

From there I used a kit similar to this to add the power to the doors for windows and locks.

3 Position Oval Rocker Switch With Lighted Indicator « autoloc.com

…and then I added a Dakota Digital 10-way keyless remote.

6-12 Function Remote Accessory Controller

Now I can remotely open each window up and down separately, open each door popper separately, and still have many other channels available for other remotely operated things.

To me, the late model door panels look better than the early ones.

And also, I had a custom run of inner billet door handle pocket trim reproduced. I have about 20 kits (doors) left. These are reproduced straight off of real 1990s billet pieces. I wanted them, several people wanted them, so I had 50 trucks worth made.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts