S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 2.2 GMC Sonoma I bought for five hundred bucks motor no good but has a good 4.3 engine thought was good deal but I am running into all kinda stuff trying to get the 4.3 in place does anyone know what all I have to change to get the 4.3 in please help this is my first swap ever and really need this truck running

·
Been there Done it
8,599 Posts
There are so many big & small items that are different from a 2.2 truck to a 4.3 that I recommend you have both complete trucks side by side before attempting to switch engines. You need a 4.3 trans, should get a 4.3 rearend, need the bigger radiator, got a lot of wiring to do, most of the exhaust system is different and lot of mounts and brackets.
Your best bet is to sell the 4.3 and fix the 2.2. Then if you need the power of a 4.3, sell the 2.2 truck that now runs and buy one with a 4.3.
Basically that 4.3 laying in the bed is useless unless you are extremely familiar with these trucks and have a friend who owns a junk yard that you will be visiting often. It's just not worth the time and effort it will take.

Positive side is that if the engine is good??? you can sell it for $3-400. Should be able to sell enough parts off the 2.2 truck to get your money back and pay someone to remove the remainder from your driveway.
The guy who sold it to you probably remembers swapping out a 6 for a V8 back in the day. Things aren't that simple anymore. Educate him.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The bigger rear end for the v6 is a gm 8.5 if you can find one and I'm not sure about the auto tranny but I think a nv3500 would work for the 4.3

·
Been there Done it
8,599 Posts
You don't really NEED an 8.5 rear end behind a stock 4.3. There were millions on the road with 7.5 rear ends w/o problems.

Reactions: goes2fast
1 - 5 of 5 Posts